Putting weight on an older Miniature gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaiteraMiniatures

Reaction score
We have an older Miniature gelding who has always been very easy to keep weight on, but this last winter hit him pretty hard and he lost a good bit of weight (he's in his late teens now). We had the vet out to float his teeth and we switched his grain over to Senior feed (our other Minis are on the Mini/Pony feed and they do wonderfully on it). Since then he's put on a considerable amount of weight, but he's still a little too lean for our taste and we are worried that once all the nice summer grass is gone he'll have trouble keeping it on. Anyway, I know for large horses cornoil or soaked alfalfa cubes can be good for putting weight on, but I also know Minis and ponies can be a little more sensitive to those "richer" diets. He's currently getting about a 1/4 scoop of Senior twice a day (not sure what it is in Ibs) while our others are getting basically a small handful of the pony feed (and they are by NO means lean
default_yes.gif
)...it's just wild that he so quickly started looking like an "old man". He's always been a very stout horse, eating exactly what his pasture-mates eat, but it is quite obvious that his needs have changed in the past few months.

So, my question is, do you have any specific grain, supplement, or anything else you've added to feed that's helped the old guys keep weight on? Should we try upping his feed again? Of course, we will consult our vet if we feel like he is regressing again, but for now we are just looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

I'd start by making sure he's getting the recommended amount of the senior feed for a horse his size. [ My 31" stallion (175#) gets 1.25 - 1.5# senior feed daily (the days he gets out on grass he gets a bit less of the senior) and free choice hay.]

Keeping a good quality hay in front of them is key. And I do a third lunch time feeding during winter.

I have the same worries going into winter each year with my 33 year old quarter horse. He's on Purina Senior. Around October, I'll get him started on a good vitamin with it such as Farnum Vita Plus and a joint supplement. I always do that because although he doesn't show outward signs of arthritis, he's got to get achey. He will get three feedings a day. Besides his regular hay which is high quality orchard grass, I get one of those bagged bails of alfalfa from Tractor Supply for his lunch time and make him a warm soaked beet pulp for lunch daily.He also wears a blanket and I never let him out if its less than 35 degrees, windy or anything falling from the sky.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I'll be sure to double check that he's getting the right amount for his weight and we were thinking about adding a third meal as well. Right now they have an overload of grass so they only get hay sparingly, but during the fall/winter they get free choice. Has anyone had issues with giving alfalfa hay or cubes to the minis?

Latest posts

Back