Putting weight on a mini donk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I got two 4 month old mini donks a couple weeks ago. I was told they were 4 months old. The one is much bigger than other, and is filled out nicely. The li'l guy, however, seems thin to me. I can feel his ribs and he's just not filled out like his buddy. I'm al little concerned that he may be younger than I was told and that he may have been weaned a little early. I have him one Omolene 100 sweetfeed and hay. I'm giving him about 3/4 cup grain twice a day and free choice of hay, plus pasture. (and lately, he gets a couple apples throughout the day...our trees overfloweth!) Tonight I slipped him about 1/4 cup beet pulp. The other donkey is doing great. Any ideas on how to get this lil guy to thrive? I just wormed both of them this week with Ivermectin too. Also, why I'm asking... is it okay to give mini donkey's Strongid Daily wormer pellets? I daily worm all my mini horses.

Any nutrition help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!!!

Janine

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are feeding him right, you do have to remember with donkeys not to grain them to muich of they will get "cresty" My foals (about 5 months old) now get about 2 c 12 1/2% sweetfeed, 1/4 c beet pulp, (soaked) and hay 24/7. I do have one that feels "ribby" too,(but doesnt look it) but the others are like little piglets, it could be just the built of your donkey too. I have used strongid pellets with mine in the past. Corinne

Hey Janine, for what it is worth, I have an 18 month old little jack that I have been struggling with. He is doing the same thing as yours, and I am doing the same thing you are for food. My vet recommended the other day that I add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to his grain ration. It is a different kind of energy than some of the sweetness in most of the commercial grains. She said it will also really help with hoof and coat conditioning. I have been trying this little home remedy for about 2 weeks and I do believe I see a difference! She said it might take a month before I saw results, but I'm sure its not just wishful thinking on my part. He does look better. It is worth a try as it can't hurt! Linda

ps, My vet has told me in the past that some babies don't take to their weaning as well as others do, and it is not uncommon for them to go through a phase of looking skinny and "tatty". I have never had a donkey do this, but I have had mini foals on two different occasions that did this. It just takes time and good food and they bounce back.

Latest posts

Back