Putting muscle on a mini horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on your new little family! You have gotten some wonderful advise here. I just wanted to add;

It is a good idea the check all manure piles daily. You want to make sure they are not too dry, not too runny. You want to make sure there are enough of them. Healthy horses will generally make you a pile shortly after they eat. There should be a few piles per horse per day. If you find that someone is not passing manure You may be looking at a future colic. If a horse has not passed manure in 24 hours you have a big problem. You will need to call the vet.

You will also want some psylium on hand. About once a month, you should give them psyllium for 5 days. This will help keep sand out. You can use sand clear. You give it by weight so it is not much at a time.

Keep a close eye on you little colt that coliced. How is his manue looking? It may have been gas colic because of switching the diet.
I watch the manure everyday, every time I am out with them. They all 3 seem to use the same spot in the pen I have them in. Peebie just goes wherever, whenever... but the other 3 have their own spots they go in, so it's easy for me to see who is doing what.

Banner had very much changed his diet when he came here. He had only ever grazed until he came here, the guy never even went near him, it would seem and when it did, it wasn't a good thing. He never wanted him, he wanted his mom and he came with the package. But he is doing wonderful now.

UPDATE:

I went to feed the horses this morning and Peebie is more perky this morning than i have seen her since we brought her home. She knows the routine, she waits patiently while I get the big ones fed and then she typically will walk, ever so slowly, to the gate to wait for me to get there and take her out to graze for the day...... I laughed so hard at her this morning that I nearly cried, and I think I did a little......

That baby literally RAN to the gate.... she was even trying to skirt around me to get there. Usually I just walk over to her and she doesn't like to be "caught" but this morning I literally had to run after her. That is the very first time since I've known her that this has happened. I was shocked and I think from the look on her face she was too. She got over by the gate and just gave me this look like "what the heck was that", jerked her head up high as if she was proud of herself and was ready to go.

Sad to say that it started to storm out of nowhere as we got ready, so I put her in her stall.. and now she thinks she is in trouble again.

BUT the point is, in just this little amount of time, someone has taken my sluggish little thing and turned her into a ball of energy, literally overnight. She LOOKS better in her little face, she's acting better... she's just a new and totally different little girl this morning, and I seriously owe all of it to you all here... I can't even find a way to thank you all enough, honestly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you..... from the very core of my being, thank you!

What wonderful news, I am so happy for you and your little girl. she is going to get better and better with each day and you will have a lifetime of joy together.

Please keep us updated and lots of photos and maybe even a video
yes.gif

Well done, give yourself a pat on the back
biggrin.gif

As someone else said "don't work her'' she is too young and way too poor in condition to be worked. Feed her up as suggested and when she is looking better nice walks would be the order of the day.

They ar 4 lucky guys to have found you.

Welcome by the way.

As someone else said "don't work her'' she is too young and way too poor in condition to be worked. Feed her up as suggested and when she is looking better nice walks would be the order of the day.

They ar 4 lucky guys to have found you.

Welcome by the way.
I don't work her at all, I've been afraid to, to be very honest with you. BUT......

It's been a few days and I have stuck like a clock with her feeding and making sure she's getting fed on the clock and what she needs according to what you all have told me to do, NOT listening to everyone around me here, and you know what?

Today... I walked out my front door, she was grazing very close to the front door today, so I can watch her out my window. I go out every chance I get to let her know I am here, petting her and loving on her. Today she literally came running towards the steps and making all sorts of crazy noises that I think even shocked her. She was just short of bucking.. more like hopping, shaking her head and talking to me like the older ones always do. She was so full of energy and life today and I can't tell you how good this makes me feel,

For the longest time, I thought it might be best for me to let someone have her that could do more than I can do, because I was obviously not very successful with it.... right up until the instant I made this thread, I literally would worry and stress it day in and day out. The only thing that kept me from following thru with that was that she'd already been thru so very much and while someone may be able to get her back to health, I honestly don't think they would bother with it and I knoe good and well no one could ever love her like we do.

But this morning..... wow, just wow.... she is acting so much better, her eyes are shining (if that makes sense) she raises her head to me, not just walking up with held held very low like it's a struggle to just gold it up. I sat down on the ground with her and she came up and put her forehead on mine and was making these low muttering noises..... I knew right then, that with your hep here, and the love we have to give her, she was where she is supposed to be.
default_smile.png

I know it's going to take a good while to get body into shape, but her little mind is so much brighter and happier already.

But this morning..... wow, just wow.... she is acting so much better, her eyes are shining (if that makes sense)
Makes perfect sense.
default_smile.png
You can read a lot in a horses eyes, and a dull depressed expression speaks volumes. Sounds like you are on the right track with them, glad you have found someone locally to help & hopefully a more knowledgeable vet. I will second the suggestion to not leave halters on....I've seen the sad results of that.

What part of the country are you in? You may have forum members nearby that could lend a hand too.

Jan

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Brilliant news!! Keep up the good work and do please keep us posted how things are progressing.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back