Put on your Thinking Caps...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisteria

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We are getting a group of people together and driving to Ann's (Seahorse Farm) place to bring supplies and help to clean up this weekend. Please, people, I need help in deciding what to bring - I can't think straight. She has no phone, no electricity, barn in full of muck, sticks everywhere, fences down...

So far, horse feed, generator, fan, extension cord, ice, bottled water, food that can be eaten without cooking - WHAT??

I can't call to find out what she needs - but I know she needs help and she's alone.

What else am I forgetting?

Thank you!

Monette
saludando.gif

Bleach, extra halters, leads, hay, extra buckets, first aid supplies for people and horses, vet wrap, wound dressing (just in case) and of course BATTERIES. I'm sure there's more but that's a start. Wish her well for all of us and let us know if there is anything we can do.

Good luck and you are wonderful to do this for a forum friend.
aktion033.gif

Oh no!

Halters, lead ropes, brushes, detangler, t - posts, panels, fencing, portable panels, rolled fencing (wire to tie it), more ice, LOTS of water, horse feed (dry) hers probably is wet.

Pack like your going camping. Shovels, rakes, picks, ax, saw, wheel barrows, towels, sump pump or wet/dry vac, gosh I have not got a clue! Buckets to carry water? Buckets to feed in?

Moral support will be the best packed item you take tho.,........good luck and I sure do wish I could go with you. Will cell phones work there I wonder?

Beth

Sounds like the above posts have about everything covered.

I was just going to stress LOTS of water, ice, and batteries.

Fence panels, T-posts, wire or plastic pull-straps to tie the panels to the posts with. Beth had a good suggestion about DRY hay and grain.

God Bless you and everyone going with you for being good friends.

MA

Don't forget the fence stretcher and a "come a long" ... .also staples... She might be able to use the wire she has, but the staples and such, are a toughie... We have a ton of fencing equip... but no clue how to get it to you all.. I'd be worried about water most of all.. does she have acess to a pool or can she get a local fire truck to bring her some?

Please pass it along, but OBS (Ocala Breeder's) in Ocala, Fl.. has stalls they rent for such situations and if she needed to board them for awhile. I'm right down the street and could feed and such... They'd be in nice big safe stalls..

If she needs any vet stuff, please let me know...

God Bless... it just makes me want to cry when I think about the situation.

How about another auction for donated items for minis... ???? or horses stuff in general.. ????

Lynn W

Hi Monette always so nice to see you.

How about duck tape and wire/bolt cutters?

I'm thinking of sand bags too.

One thing that worked great for our flooding in Florida was a water pump. It's called a MUD HOG and you set it in the water and it will pump it out, but you need electric or a generator for it.

I would bring some listernene or fungual type stuff for the horse's body's legs, and something for thier feet after standing in wet. Thrush X.

Uncantaminated water is of the utmost importance. Does Ann have a well where she gets water? If not.....she'll need LOTS of water for the horses, as well as herself. The horses can live on just grass for a while if they have too....after some fencing is repaired of course. A generator or two would be a great help!

Lots of "Helping hands" & support, is probably what she needs most.
yes.gif

God Bless you guys - I would have never thought of half this stuff!!!

I can't reach her, so I don't know what she NEEDS!!!! I have to guess. She doesn't even know I'm coming, but I've got to do it.

We had a 20 second phone conversation - it was "I'm alive, the horses are alive, the horses in the barn were standing in muck (which leads me to believe her feed is ruined), I'll put the horses next to the pond (for water as she has no well water) and fences are down, limbs everywhere...then CLICK - and have not been able to reach her (circuits are busy) nor have heard from her.

So we will load up with as much as we can carry and go. So far, we've got 5 volunteers and may have a couple more.

I will let you know if she needs vaccines.

We are bringing boots as noone wants to get sick from the standing water (if there is any), mosquito spray, aspirin.

Keep those ideas coming - this is REALLY helping - I just didn't have a clue!

Thank you ALL so much!!!

Monette
saludando.gif

A hint that we have used with hauling large amount of water - purchase 5 or 6+ 55 gallon "plastic" tight head drums - take them to her filled with water- then use a small battery pump /hose like they use to drain a fish tank to transfer the water out of the drums and into buckets or tanks. These type of drums can be a lifesaver ifor hauling water n times of emergency -

A generator would be excellent (don't forget to take some gas cans filled as finding gas will be a challenge and perhaps even finding fuel for your vehicle) as most station's tanks will be flooded and the gas contaminated.

Hand sanitizer and germiside, non toxic. Please keep us posted..does anyone have one of those water filters campers use that sanitizes water? Hopeing for the best!!! Maxine, Carl and our whole family!

[SIZE=14pt]Can we paypal you or someone else some money to help with the gas and other things needed?[/SIZE]

Lyn

Non perishable snacks to keep your energy up.....also a radio that will run off of batteries so she can keep in communication with the outside world. I've been watching CNN.....just terrible the devestation that has happened.
sad.gif
If I were closer, I'd be one of your volunteers.

How about people stuff? A little BBQ to cook hot meals? Briquettes. Matches. Meat in coolers. Paper plates and plastic silverware for a non-wash clean up. A work crew gets hungry!

Fly spray for all the skeeters?

Yes, we are bringing a butane type stove.

YES - a generator (mine but I don't need it right now)

Yes - I have a paypal account but it's checking to checking Lyn - sorry, I'm not set up for credit cards, but thank you so much for offering! it's my email address:

[email protected]

All great ideas - we will get right on it - I can get a lot of stuff from Lowes.

Thanks again!

Monette

[SIZE=14pt]Just sent you some cash. Hope it helps.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Several pairs of gloves for everyone.... Sending best wishes for a safe trip for you all.

Thank you Lyn - I'll be sure Ann knows where it came from - !!!

God Bless your thoughtfulness!

And thank you all for the WONDERFUL ideas - I know she will cry tears of joy when she sees this army of young people descend!!!

That's the joy for me!

Monette
saludando.gif

[SIZE=14pt]I wish there was more that I could do.... Im so far away and feel so helpless. As I watched to devastation on TV I was pricked in my heart to send that money to someone and Im so glad you posted!!! I would rather it go to someone I know who is in need than into a fund somewhere. If my garage sale goes well I will send some more to you saturday.[/SIZE]

Take lots of Bleach with you too.....you may need to disinfect stuff.

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I also want to thank Karin Santangelo for volunteering to watch my mare that's about to foal so I can go to Mississippi!

You are a blessing - now I don't have to worry about her while I'm gone!

Monette
saludando.gif

You may want to bring some sort of a weapon( I know that sounds awful) but they are pulling people out of vehicles and taking them, shooting at people if you don't give them what you have.

If you get thru (wondering how as they have only one road open I heard???) and this is only the start of things, be very very careful.

These people are desperate, and they just said there are at least a million people homeless.............my God I can't imagine.

Be safe and thank you for all your trying to do.

We need to put white light around you.......

God bless you all,

Bonnie

Latest posts

Back