Put on your Thinking Caps...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have most everything but...

TARPS can come in handy incase there are holes in the barn

or to place "junk" on and make it easy to move around.

I have been watching this tragedy & can not believe the destruction.

I wish I could come out and help you, but I am in NY!

Take Care of yourselves & God Bless!

Jen

Thank you all for your money, suggestions, prayers and support - after we are back, I will post and let everyone know how the money was spent and what we did. I'm sure Ann will thank you all when she can.

God Bless...

Monette
saludando.gif

Ann is so sweet. Give her a hug for me and ask her to give YOU a hug from me! I so wish I could go! Bless your hearts. Please take care. My prayers go with you.

Robin

Yes beet pulp is a good idea. Wet it and feed it to hydrate the horses. Use the water you take of course.

Gatorade and lots of it......................for horses and folks! Thank god you heard from her. I know you will be busy BUT if you think of it, ask her how Covergirl and Perfecto are?

I watched the news this morning and it is "DEVASTING" the effects of this storm have not let up yet. Oh My God! Is all I can say...................now the movie stars and singers can do something for us.......

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
Monette - another thought - over-the-counter med "Lomotil" (you can get store brand generic) for diarrhea. Gatorade will work for both replacing fluid and for anyone that has had GI upset. As suggested, weapons for each vehicle (evidently lots of attempts at carjacking). But also, maybe small shotguns & ammo for snakes, other threats such as skunks (could be rabid).

Gayle lived and worked in New Orleans in the 60's and we've been there several times. And we were there in 2002 and went on to Biloxi for an anniversary. So many familiar sites we've seen on TV that are now underwater or gone.

We don't know Ann but we are praying for strength for her and strength and safety for all of you going. Wish we could. Gayle is still recovering from radiation and knee replacement.

The medical recommendations broadcast regarding any items that are contaminated by the water and can be washed must be washed with bleach added to the wash water. Any food items, even sealed ones, contaminated by the water must be thrown out.

God bless you for what you are doing.

Jackie

I almost couldnt reply to this... as somehow it seemed if i replied to it - it would make it more real the thought of Ann there by herself- not to mention the others going thru this is just so heartbreaking.

I wish i was closer to help

All,

Don't hesitate to reply! I will be bringing all these letters WITH ME!!!

When we are gone, she will have these letters to give her strength until she is re-connected with the world!

Monette
saludando.gif

Having been to Florida after Andrew, I can assure you that you need to take everything you think of !! There are NO STORES....they are destroyed, and if available, all supplies gone or ruined.

CHAIN AND LOCK the generator down. I'm serious ! We had trucks driving around that would stop, jump out and grab a running generator -- throw it in the pick-up and leave
new_shocked.gif
We had men on the rooves using them and they still stole them! You can't find any to buy within hundreds of miles.

Within a week or so, various organizations will form food kitchens, ice, TP and such to give out. Until then, you need food that can be kept on a shelf and opened easily to eat without cooking. Ensure, etc. if a good thing to have to keep vit/min up and be fast.

ADD hammer & nails to your list. Some lumber would be good. Roof shingles & a cople pieces of roofing tin. Yes, gas cans with fuel. Lots of premoistened "wipes" for cleaning up ones self when water is limited...waterless shampoo for Ann, she will adore you for this one!....a bag of candy kisses and a bottle of wine. You'll need it. Such friends as you are priceless.

Please give Ann a hug and will send a check to you to help her out. Tell her Lilly Lu is doing great.Thanks for helping her out. Walt & Frannie Filipowicz Farm

Now you are talking Bess!!!

Wine and Kisses - 2 of my favorite things!
aktion033.gif

Boy, wouldn't she get a kick out of that...?

And boiled peanuts (yuck!!!) - her favorite - have to find some of those nasty things...LOL!!!

Didn't think about the dog!!! Bring dog food too - no cats.

Walt and Frannie - I will let her know - thank you!!

Also, a huge thank you to Lisa, Heidi, Lyn, Stacy, Heather, Joan, Jean, Nancy, Ann and Ellen. You know what you did!

Thanks again,

Monette

My husband is a fire fighter/rescue person. He mentioned neosporin, gauze, advil,allergy relief like benedryl, immodium and pepto, rolaids, peroxide, koolaid or gaterade or lemonade to mix with water.

Cans of cheap soda are invaluable for quick sugar needs for both human and animal. Cheap tarps, bungee cords, socks, many have no shoes but can wear socks, underwear, dollar store asst sizes for men and women, All the water and gasoline you can carry.

I being an old fashioned person would also bring a bottle of good scotch or bourbon. Many may need a brace to keep going. Rent a uhaul if you can, many places will donate or discount one if you let them know you are doing a rescue.

Chocolate and I don't man that with a smile, chocolate can warm the chilled and stop a childs tears. Tea bags, bread, crackers, canned anything. Keep in mind how bad the roads will be. You may be stopped Bob says and told you can go no further. Get a great map, take a lap top, find all the back roads you can to get through.

I am proud to be a member of such a warm and loving and giving group. God go with you and God bless you all and those who have lost so very much. My heart just breaks for each and every soul.

Oh rig a shower by hanging 3 shower curtains into a triangle, stand in a wash tub and you can get clean by using a gallon of water. Oh, I just thought of fanny wipes, you know the wet wipes? Wonderful things for quick baths.

Bess said Toilet paper, good idea!

How about muck boots? For slogging through the muck? No one needs to be stepping on dead birds and what not.

I only wish I had money I could send
sad.gif

I thought of something else for safety's sake. When you guys are all packed up you may want to cover everything under tarps too. The looters are taking anything they see, maybe if you have it covered you will be a bit safer. Make sure you stay together and no one travels in a car alone. Unfortunately you are almost heading into a war zone at this point. Desperate peopel will do surprising things.

Keep safe!

Stacy

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]When are you going???? Want to schedule a prayer vigil here while you are gone.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Monette this is so wonderful of you and whoever else is going with you. Please be careful and I will say some prayers for all of you and Ann. Don't know her but sure would not want to be where she is right now and wish I could help in some way. Bless you and do take care.

Clara

Husband says don't use chain to secure the generator to a house or vehicle use cable, harder to cut with bolt cutters. My prayers go with you, God bless.

Is anyone near Indiana, planning a trip to help the disaster relief ? I would help split gas and tag along to help. Used to work for the highway department, so very skilled with clean-up situations. Anyway I can help, send me an email at [email protected]

I can't even imagine being in her shoes!!
no.gif
Everyone stay safe and get Ann back on her feet!!! Keep us updated when you can.

Latest posts

Back