Put on your Thinking Caps...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said you all were taking boots to keep out the standing water. Don't forget work gloves to protect your hands from wire. Since the wire may have been laying in contaminated water, a tetanus booster for all going might be a good idea. Definitely take the insect repellent and everything to eat and drink for the volunteers as REO suggested as there's no eating out right now I'm sure.

The care and concern you and everyone have shown on these posts to all in harm's way is just incredible to us as newcomers. We are so glad to be associated with such wonderful folks and wish we could go help too.

Be safe and blessings to all involved.

Gayle and Jackie

This is all driving me CRAZY! I wish I lived closer to help!

MA

More good ideas - I'm writing this down!

For those of you who are too far away to help, your prayers are welcome.

And someday, WE will be too far away and we will be on the outside looking in!

Thanks for your support, ideas and words of encouragement.

I will pass them all along!

Monette
saludando.gif

The only thing I can thing of that's not been mentioned is flashlights or lanterns. If power is still out, it will get pretty dark at night. Stay safe and let us know if there is something the rest of us can do or send from a distance.

Jan

Well, I have given you a few things to take but I will see if I can add anything else. Blankets (horse and people.) Candles, oil lamps, flashlights. Fresh fuit. Lots of mosquito repellant, they are in the heart of West Nile time of year there.

I will post again if I think of anything else.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts headed your way. I think you are in for quite a journey. Be careful. There are desperate people down there right now too and you may want to take some kind of weapon for protection with you. There were stories on the news about the desperation going on.

God Bless you all Monette!

God bless you and your group for what you are doing. Sending prayers and white light your way for a safe trip. I wish I were closer to help also. I'll see what I can put together.

Bonnie is right about the weapon there are some bad things happening now. I sometimes have trouble figuring the human race out. (That's for another topic).

A camera might help for insurance purposes besides for creating a journal of the clean-up process. Cell phones, of course, with extra batteries!

Maybe a tent or tarp you could set up to stay in while your there. I'm sure she would let you all stay in her house but like you said she doesn't even know your coming and may not be prepared at all for 4 or 5 house guests. You all will be rewared for all your hard work of putting this together. You will feel it.
yes.gif

Please becareful and let us know your all ok.

Take all of them out there in need and alone our Love and out Prayers, and tell them we are thinking of them and praying for them.

Before leaving make sure you all get a tetnus shot. You will be working in some really bad conditions.

Bonnie is right you need a weapon for every vehicle, just in case.

Take some extra clothes along. All of Anns stuff may be wet and molding at this point. I'm sure she would appreciate a change of clothes.

You have gotten lots of good ideas from everyone else.

Good Luck & stay safe,

Robin

Monette, PLEASE tell Ann I have been trying to call her and let her know her and her horses are in my thoughts and prayers throughout all of this. I am just so grateful she is safe as well as her animals. Our area rescue workers/rehabbers also are collecting items to send down and cash donations will be used to purchase hay cubes, prior to the truck leaving. I wish I was closer to you I would want to be there to help Ann or anyone else needing it. Thank you so much for doing this. Corinne

Oh, monette, you are wonderful! wish i were not so far away to help! please take my thoughts and good wishes with you! i think you and your group are terrific! jennifer please be safe and well!

Fly spray, mosquito repellent, hay, hatchet, bolt cutters, wire cutters, Band-aids, floor feeders, apples, saw, gate & stall latches, bleach, 409 Cleaner, WD40, paper towels, toilet paper, rags, cloth towels, mops, and a few folding chairs because you're gonna need 'em to sit down for a second. Maybe take a horse blanket because ya don't know if any were affected by anything that might cause shivering, even if it is HOT there.

It's a great great thing that you're doing. I know PERSONALLY how much it will mean to her. Even if you can't repair what's been done, just showing that you care enough to try, will touch her deeply. To you & all who go with you: Stay safe. and many hugs. My heart travels with you. --k

You are in our thoughts as you set out...what a wonderful thing you are doing and may God ride with you. I also feel so helpless as we watch it all unfolding. All I can give is my support and prayers for you all.

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Guys,[/SIZE]

I just heard from Ann - it was in and out and I had to speak loudly. It was a 5 minute phone call.

She cried and said "Monette, you don't know the devastation - I don't know where to start - I don't know what to do - it's too much".

When I told her we were coming - there was silence. Then she said - "Oh my God - REALLY???" I said we are coming and we are bringing food and water and feed." She said "I don't know what to say - I'm speechless." She CRIED AND CRIED. She said "bring water - I want to bath - I'm dirty." GOD BLESS HER!!!

She said bring chain saws. A radio.

She had NO IDEA what had happend in New Orleans or Biloxi.

Girls, it was HEARTBREAKING - but oh so wonderful to let her know that help was on the way!!!

Monette

I agree about protecting yourself from the looters, and also the tetnus (might be good to ask the doctor if there are other procautionary measures as well) I also just thought about something else. It would be nice for later to have a sweep magnet so any small metal fragments and nails will be picked up. God Bless and protect you all.

If you have room, not sure if anyone has mentioned this, with regard to feed, make sure to bring beet pulp - shredded if possible it can be fed dry if need be (at least it can replace some of the required roughage) and some alfalfa/timothy cubes. More than likely her pastures are under water
sad.gif
. Also for yourself and your group, bring a cellphone in case you need to get a hold of someone to bring more things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you for helping Ann! I do not have pay pal but my daughter wil send a donation for me. Use it for gas, supplies, whatever is needed. Please give Ann (((hugs)) from me & tell her she is in my prayers. Have a safe trip.

Nancy,

Thank you so much for the donation!

It just brings tears to my eyes - the help coming in.

We will buy as much food and water and ice and feed as we can carry!!!

I'll keep everyone informed.

God Bless!!!

Monette

This is a wonderful thing you are doing. May God bless your thoughtfulness and protect you and everyone involved.

For supplies - if you can get to a place that has camping supplies there are collapsable water jugs that would work great for handling and carrying water.

Latest posts

Back