Purina/ Platform Recall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey@SmallWonders

Reaction score
From another Message board:

It is important for all horse owners to know that Purina has issued two massive recalls this month affecting almost their entire horse feed product line. This recall was not made available to the general public. Notices went to the dealers directly. On 4/9 they recalled 27 equine products, including senior and the Platform line. On 4/21 they recalled another 18 products. The problem is Aflatoxins. Aflatoxins are toxic and one of the most carcinogenic substances known. They can cause liver dysfunction, immune suppression, and neurological difficulties. Please share this information with your horse keeping friends.

I called my feed store, and they confirmed that this was true; Purina has recalled many of their feeds due to the potential aflatoxins as a "precautionary measure".

Which plant/area of the country were they recalled from, do you know? We use Senior and Horseman's Edge from Purina.

Lucy

This was going around back in march and I read it was feed from the statesville plant only. Also said they did not find anything wrong with the feed?? But it was a specific farm where horses got sick and they were accusing purina?? NOt sure if this is the same story but I think it is?

This is the one I read about maybe Im wrong

lil begs purina recall

Last edited by a moderator:
Statesville, NC plant and Harrisburg, PA are both involved from what I have researched. Feeds manufactured Jan/Feb 08 are the ones involved in the recall so any recently purchased grain should be OK but if yo still have some older bags around check your dates.

I just bought a bag of platform yesterday. I know my feed store only carries about 6-10 bags of the mini platform and get a new shipment at least once a month. I'm going to assume its a new bag, but just in case I'm going to check it this afternoon. I already fed it to them this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I feed Omolene 200.. I still don't quite understand. Is it just those areas that are affected or the whole US?

I found this on a feed mills site.

Attention:

In reference to an email on recalled Purina Feed

We recently received a fowarded email, and you may have too, stating that Purina recalled feed because of aflotoxin levels and that this info was never put out to the general public.

We would like to respond to this email and put all of you at ease.

We contacted St. Louis and Purina did pull feed out on the east coast (not on our feed). The feed was recalled from the dealers before it ever got to the customers. The Aflatoxins (a mold that Purina tests for in every batch of feed) was at a level that Purina does not allow. It was not at a toxic level, but it was to high for Purina standands. NO HORSES WERE SICK OR DIED. If Purina thought that some of the feed got in the food chain they would have called it back from the end customers (You). Purina has a batch number and codes on every bag, they know where every bags goes. When there is a recall we have to send back every bag.

Purina did not inform the general public because this was not a country wide issue and none of the feed ever reached the general public or their horses.

Just so you know every region of the country gets their Purina horse feed mixed at different plants so what happens in one area does not necessarily happen in another area. All of Purinas horse feed mixing plants mix only horse feeds no cattle or other animal feeds so that none of the drugs in cattle, sheep, chicken, etc. feeds could ever have a chance of getting in the horse feed. Aflotoxins are a mold that can develop in corn when the plant receives a load of corn the entire semi is tested for molds if the levels are too high that entire semi is refused and sent on to another company or is used in cattle feeds where those levels are safe. There is a chance that in this situation by the end processing the levels between ingredients added up to be too high for Purinas standards, end result Purina pulled the feed from their dealers.

Latest posts

Back