Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd be surprised how close the Mini and Pony feed is to the Omelene 500. Kay and I had this discussion on another board. She and I compared feed labels and the biggest difference is fat.

Omelene 500

Crude Protein 12%

Lysine .65%

Crude Fat 8%

Crude Fiber 9%

Calcium (min) .90%

Calcium (max) 1.20%

Phosphorus .50%

Copper 55.0 ppm

Selenium .60ppm

Zinc 220.0 ppm

Vitamin A 3,000 IU/lb

Vitamin E 150 IU/lb

Ingredients

Grain Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Roughage Products, Molasses Products, Plant Protein Products, Soybean Oil, Forage Products, Calcium Carbonate, Vegetable Oil, Flaxseed, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Citric Acid, L-Lysine, Magnesium Oxide, Choline Chloride, Propionc Acid (A Perservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Sorbitan Monostearate, Iron Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Calcium Pantothenate, Tocopherols, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin A Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, DL-Methionine, Sodium Selenite.

Wow, the ol' eye sight isn't what it used to be...sheesh those little labels are hard to read. lol

I'm still not sure if I'll consider a switch. If it cost more than the Strategy AND I end up feeding more, it definitely wouldn't be cost effective. I think they look fine right now as well. Will be watching to see how it goes for everyone though.

For the record, on May 7th I paid $14.99 for a 50lb of Strategy GX and $17.39 for a 50lb bag of Omolene 300. The hardkeeper is on the Omolene 300, everyone else gets the Strategy.

I was pretty sure that Omolene 500 was a 50 lb bag, Omolene 400 is usually a 40 lb bag. No idea why they did that though. I have been feeding the miniature horse feed to my two easy keeper mares for about a month, both are doing well on it. Still not sure if it has the "ooomph" needed for my stallion and hard keeper gelding. So they are still on Omolene 200.
I don't know for sure, but I think the Omolene 400 is what replaced Complete Advantage, and its beet pulp based, using shredded beet pulp which is rather bulky, so I think they do it to keep the bags the same size. Just my best guess.

For the record, on May 7th I paid $14.99 for a 50lb of Strategy GX and $17.39 for a 50lb bag of Omolene 300. The hardkeeper is on the Omolene 300, everyone else gets the Strategy.
May I please pay those prices, lol?

The last time I bought Strategy GX (March 19th) I paid $15.96. My Omelene 300 is now $19.33.

Not cool.
default_rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty close to switching my feed over to the Mini feed, but I have to ask this.

How many of you feed this to your foals, growing horses (yearlings - two year olds), and broodmares (preggos and lactating)?

If you do, how are they doing?

OK, correct me here if i am wrong, but i have fed strategy to all my minis, breeding stallions, mares in foal, and not if foal, and of course all my weanlings/yearlings get free choice Strategy at all times, and have had wonderful results, never had a problem, why would i want to go lower fat, and lower protien, isnt that what makes Strategy the best??? if they get too fat, is it not better to just cut them back? Just asking

OK, correct me here if i am wrong, but i have fed strategy to all my minis, breeding stallions, mares in foal, and not if foal, and of course all my weanlings/yearlings get free choice Strategy at all times, and have had wonderful results, never had a problem, why would i want to go lower fat, and lower protien, isnt that what makes Strategy the best??? if they get too fat, is it not better to just cut them back? Just asking
If you cut them back, you aren't just reducing fat/calories you are also reducing the vit/min and protein provided by the feed. Which is why if your horses get fat feeding according to the directions, you should change to a feed that requires less be fed; that way you are still providing the necessary vit/min without the extra calories.

I talked with a Purina spokesman who also shows miniatures and Shetlands. She did not recommend it for growing horses so my yearlings are on another feed. At that time they didn't know how it would work for a "show diet" so I only put my chubby gelding on it. His hair coat looks fabulous and he has a lot more energy. I had heard a lot of good things about it which is why I asked about it. Based on the results with him I'm in the process of switching over a couple of other mature horses over.
I know the Farnam version it was just not enough fat for my broodmares. You had too add alot more hay to their diet to keep them looking good which is not a bad thing but I did notice that but it may not be the same for this feed but sounds like it.

When Farnam came out my geldings looked great but the quality of the feed declined, I'm hoping Purina with their high standards will keep the quality of this feed. I'm pretty much sold on it now. Now I just got to get feed stores to get it. My local Tractor store barley carries Purina now, they just can't sell it, the feed is too expensive. Over $15 for 100 over $18 for 300.

Here is the link to Purina's Miniature Horse & Pony Feed. It contains Purina Amplify which an excellent source of fat. I have fed my reining horses Strategy for years and now Amplify for the past year and love it. My horses are sleek and have the greatest coats, even my old 29 year old mare who get Strategy and Amplify instead of a Senior Horse feed. As I mentioned before we feed Purina Enrich 32 to all out minis, but it is expensive. It is great for over-weight minis as they get fed in cup measurements. However, I think I will change to the mini horse feed since it is specifically formulated for the little guys.

http://www.purinamil...mp2-0139250.pdf

Crude Protein (min) .......................................13.50% Lysine (min) ..................................................... 0.80% Crude Fat (min)................................................. 4.50% Crude Fiber (max) ..........................................18.00% Calcium (min) ................................................... 0.80% Calcium (max) .................................................. 1.30% Phosphorus (min) ............................................ 0.65% Copper (min)............................................ 75.00 ppm Zinc (min)............................................... 270.00 ppm Selenium (min)...........................................0.60 ppm Vitamin A (min).................................. 6,000.00 IU/lb Vitamin E (min)......................................125.00 IU/lb

The Purina® Amplify® Nugget is a patented, high-fat extruded particle that

contains a proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flaxseed and rice bran for an

optimal fatty acid profile that supports strong immune function.

Proprietary amino acids (building blocks of proteins) that support

strong muscle growth, shiny coat and healthy hooves.

Contains beet pulp inside the pellet as an excellent source of

fermentable fiber for slow-release energy.

Provides 100% of the required nutrients for horses when fed as

directed* so no additional supplements are necessary.

*Based on "Nutrient Requirements of Horses Sixth Revised Edition – 2007" published by the National Research Council.

Provides nutrient density and supports proper digestion.

Superior, consistent nutrition.

Premium formulation with high-quality ingredients for excellent palatability.

May help reduce the risk of adverse health effects caused by the

management error of overfeeding.

The FeedGuard® Nutrition System is one of the industry's most

innovative and exacting quality assurance programs. It can help deliver

the trust, quality and performance that horse lovers demand every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many of you feed this to your foals, growing horses (yearlings - two year olds), and broodmares (preggos and lactating)?
All of ours are on it. lactating, pregnant, yearlings, foals etc. all look great. like i said though at first the yearlings refused to eat it so we had to mix theirs with strategy longer.

I've been trying to tweak my feeding program for awhile...add this, try that...Right now my horses are on Enrich 32, shredded beet pulp, O & A and a few get rice bran. Still...a few need weight, a few need to lose weight...ugh! I thought about trying the Mini Feed, but can you tweak the feed amounts for specific horses' needs?? If I feed that, will I also still need to keep feeding beet pulp? Rice bran? If not, it may be more cost effective to just buy the Mini feed, but it would also have to get some more weight on my hard keeper and keep the excess weight off my easy keeper...LOL!
default_wacko.png

Mominis, probably too much, my guy is over weight. I am going to buy a scale so that I can weigh his hay. I cut back on the grain thinking that was making him fat. He gets a small flake at 6 am with grain. If he is trying to go threw the fences, he gets a snack ( a handful) dinner is at 5 pm now that it is so hot. He gets around 4 oz more of grain then and another small flake of hay. He is put in his stall around 7 pm and gets a handful then. He is on a drylot and drools over all the grass around him. He is not exercised as much as he should because of the hot and humid weather we are having in the northeast.

Purina Canada doesnt make the mini feed here yet.

I phoned a couple places and I emailed Purina but they have gotten back to me yet.

Linda if you feed it I would NOT supplement beet pulp, flax seed etc. Its already in the feed so no sense in that. Also too much beet pulp can give them loose stools.

All of ours are on different amounts depending on their size, age and work level

I have been feeding for a little over a month or two now. My horses look great. My yearling does fantastic on this feed.

However, I have a SUPER hard-keeper gelding... he just won't gain any weight, no matter what diet. He is fed alone, away from the other herd members.

Right now, he is on pasture and at night he gets three cups of the mini feed, one cup of alfalfa pellets and a cup of sweet feed. With a Red Cell supplement added in.

He loves it. But the problem still remains, no weight gain. What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to switch his diet again?

Other than problems with him (his teeth are fine), I am really happy with this feed.

Go to Purinas web site and read about the mini horse feed. It has feeding amount suggestions.

I've been trying to tweak my feeding program for awhile...add this, try that...Right now my horses are on Enrich 32, shredded beet pulp, O & A and a few get rice bran. Still...a few need weight, a few need to lose weight...ugh! I thought about trying the Mini Feed, but can you tweak the feed amounts for specific horses' needs?? If I feed that, will I also still need to keep feeding beet pulp? Rice bran? If not, it may be more cost effective to just buy the Mini feed, but it would also have to get some more weight on my hard keeper and keep the excess weight off my easy keeper...LOL!
default_wacko.png

I have been feeding for a little over a month or two now. My horses look great. My yearling does fantastic on this feed.

However, I have a SUPER hard-keeper gelding... he just won't gain any weight, no matter what diet. He is fed alone, away from the other herd members.

Right now, he is on pasture and at night he gets three cups of the mini feed, one cup of alfalfa pellets and a cup of sweet feed. With a Red Cell supplement added in.

He loves it. But the problem still remains, no weight gain. What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to switch his diet again?

Other than problems with him (his teeth are fine), I am really happy with this feed.
Three cups may not be enough. I would slowly increase the mini feed as well as the alfalfa pellets. You may need to start actually weighing what you are feeding. I have a couple thinner mini mares that are thinner that I am feeding a pound of pellets to as well as free choice orchard grass. They are finally gaining.

Latest posts

Back