Purina Mini Horse and Pony/Supplement?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
I finally made a decision, last week, on what feed I wanted to switch to. I didn't realize, at the time, I was feeding a sweet feed, as I was giving her, what the previous owners were and their horses are beautiful and healthy. But the only place to get that feed, was 45 mins. away, on top of, I really don't want to feed her sweet feed. Anyway, we are still in the process of mixing the feeds, and I am almost ready to have her totally on the Purina Miniature Horse and Pony. Someone I knew that has their mini's on it, supplement with it too, but is that really necessary? It says it is a complete feed, as long as it is fed with hay, which she is getting daily too. I will supplement, if it is necessary, but I don't want to overdue on the vitamins and minerals, if it isn't needed. So far, she is doing great on this feed. No adverse reactions, but she hasn't been on it very long, so only time will tell, but it is very easy to get here, at a store, that is 10-15 mins. away.

The Purina Mini and Pony feed plus hay/pasture (and salt and water, of course) should be all she needs. Some have found it isn't enough for the hard working minis, so you might have to consider changing down the road, if you put Halo into hard work, but while she is in light work it should be just fine. [A few have also found it doesn't put as nice a shine on the coat, so do add a coat supplement, which could be as simple as adding a little bit of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) to the diet.]

If you look at the analysis on the Mini Horse and Pony you will find that it is not complete. It is missing a lot of the needed minerals and on the west coast, our hay is lack may of these. It has no Iron, Magnesum, Potassum, Iodine, Vit D, Ash, Colbat all of which are needed, some of which if you don't have, they can't absorb other minierals.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/miniaturehorsepony/ECMD2-0051041.aspx

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/HORSESUPPLEMENTS/ECMD2-0032706.aspx

Please be sure you know exactly what someones feeding program is before using it as an example like the above post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all my horses, including my mini, on a ration balancer. This way I am confident they are getting the vitamins & minerals they require.

My Arab has lost a bit of weight this hot and humid summer, but I'm putting the weight back on him with rice bran and Timothy/alfalfa pellets. I'm a stickler for low NSC values, especially since my Welsh Cob x has had previous issues with a cresty neck and fat deposits behind the shoulders and on the rump. He came to us eating sweet feed. I personally despise any and all sweet feeds. They're the junk food diets of the horse world.

I have 3 mature mini geldings that all get Purina Equine Adult, coastal hay, and grasses that spring up wild here in Coastal North Carolina. Each mini drives and and runs around a lot, burning calories. I found that their coats and hooves are healthy and beautiful, plus they keep nice top lines along their backs. I tried several different feeds over the years, but I trust my boys to Purina Equine. My baby started out on Equine Jr. then switched at 2 yrs. to the adult. I have to feed him smaller amounts than the older geldings since he is prone to getting a cresty neck.

You're going to get a lot of different answers. Everyone has their own way of feeding their horses grain wise. In the end its up to you. My boy is on purina miniature horse and pony feed, no supplements other than his salt block. He does well on it.

and definitely no lack of shine!

phone august13 416.JPG

Beautiful boy Danielleee. Yes, everyone has their way of feeding grain and their favorite grains and not so favorite grains and what works for one mini in one situation might not work for another.

If you look at the analysis on the Mini Horse and Pony you will find that it is not complete. It is missing a lot of the needed minerals and on the west coast, our hay is lack may of these. It has no Iron, Magnesum, Potassum, Iodine, Vit D, Ash, Colbat all of which are needed, some of which if you don't have, they can't absorb other minierals.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/miniaturehorsepony/ECMD2-0051041.aspx

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/HORSESUPPLEMENTS/ECMD2-0032706.aspx

Please be sure you know exactly what someones feeding program is before using it as an example like the above post.
Horses don't usually require extra iron in their diet, their diets usually have excess iron in them which can cause iron overload. Its rare to find their diet deficient in iron.

Horses don't usually require extra iron in their diet, their diets usually have excess iron in them which can cause iron overload. Its rare to find their diet deficient in iron.
In our area, the vets recommend grain rations with iron in the diets as the hay is lacking it.

If you doesn't work for you or your area has hay with needed amounts that is awesome. Ours don't and thus we feed the 12 12 mineral free choice as per instructed by our vet.

Unless you are testing your grass, or the grower is, you never know. There are great articles online and they surprising info in it about something as simple as hay.

I feed good quality orchard grass hay, 12 12 minieral along with plain salt to the easy keepers in my herd. For those that need more, I feed Senior horse or Mini Horse & pony along with Alfmo.

Thanks MountainWoman
default_smile.png

I knew I would get different ways of doing things...thank you to all that replied to my post.

You're going to get a lot of different answers. Everyone has their own way of feeding their horses grain wise. In the end its up to you. My boy is on purina miniature horse and pony feed, no supplements other than his salt block. He does well on it.

and definitely no lack of shine!

attachicon.gif
phone august13 416.JPG
Off topic, but your little guy reminded me of this guy sitting in a rescue. I keep eying him....
default_smile.png

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back