Purina Mills WellSolve Low Starch and WellSolve Weight Control....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started using W/C about a month ago on a little gelding, he is not fat, has never been fat, but he is only 29" tall and a GELDING, (I think their metabolisms get slow upon gelding, might be my imagination, but it seems to go that way) I thought I'd be proactive so he doesn't become a chubby. OK, it IS a diet food, looks like a diet food and I think it tastes like a diet food, because initially he looked at me like "you've got to be kidding, where is my REAL food??" So I've just been feeding him 1/2 W/C and 1/2 normal sweet feed just to keep the calories a little lower and keep him in better shape.

This is an interesting thread...we are feeding our crew Nutrena Lite balance right now and are happy with it. My chubby Buck has slimmed down, Wish is looking beautiful and Banner has plenty of energy to drive...he just gets more than the other 2.

Angie

IMO The LS feed has its place, as already stated, but I can not, like rabbit, understand why there is a feed for overweight horses. Hay IS enough! If you are concerned that your hay isnt fully nutritious or your horse is missing a few things you can use vitamin/mineral supplements or a ration balancer.

Call be cheap but I'd never pay that much for a bag of feed lol.

IMO The LS feed has its place, as already stated, but I can not, like rabbit, understand why there is a feed for overweight horses. Hay IS enough! If you are concerned that your hay isnt fully nutritious or your horse is missing a few things you can use vitamin/mineral supplements or a ration balancer.
Call be cheap but I'd never pay that much for a bag of feed lol.

Weight Control feeds are more for the owner than the horses... Some people can't help but feed their horses "grain", and something like weight control is perfect for them; they get the satisfaction of feeding, and the horse doesn't get obese.

I prefer to feed hay, but I know my hay doesn't have everything they need, so I feed a ration balancer and they are all happy; and I know they are getting what they need.

I have been using Nutrena's Safechoice for the chronic founder rescue mare for over two months now and I am very happy with it. At the time it was the only local feed for this kind of horse, with the vitamins I wanted.

She was very underweight, chronic founder and other issues.

I have been using this because of her issues and it has the vitamins she needs in this feed. She also gets soaked non molasses beet pulp and as much grass hay as she wants. Not only do I have to get weight back on her, she has a young nursing foal at side and she is a hard keeper.

She will never be able to go out in the main hay field with the other horses.

I am slowly switching over to Nutrena's Balance lite for the others... for the vitamins and it allows me to soak the pellets so I can mix in their Omega Horse shine and cinnamon in. The Omega horse shine really keeps my mini's dandruff at bay, nothing else works nearly as well.

They are sent out in one of the small paddocks to eat grass twice a day, which is more than enough.

They do not get traditional grain but I do feel it is important to make sure they get vitamins, as they are fed only grass hay off my farm. These vitamin pellets allow me to mix in the other things I need to feed them.

It is much safer for these kinds of horses to use these pellets, instead of moist wheat bran to get them to eat their vitamins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back