Purina Equine Jr

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
I started my foal on equine jr, and his dam too when she was still nursing. They also have free choice hay. When we switched over Rainbow (dam) got loose stool, so did Chocolate Thunder a little bit. I thought maybe it was from the switch in feed.

Then Rainbow went to a freinds for weaning and training. She was still on Equine Jr, but way poorer hay, and some grass. Her stool was fine. She came home, and is back to the hay we have, and she eats some of the foals Equine Jr, and she has loose stool again. So does Chocolate Thunder. He had it while she was gone, but not as bad as now.

The droppings are very watery and not formed, than some will be formed with water too. They are great otherwise. No other problems. Hydrated, playing, no temp ect. Up to date on shots and worming. And they have access to minerals. Also we just did a sand treatment.

I am thinking maybe the Equine Jr plus free choice green nice hay is too much? My other girl Silver, is fine, ( please dont jinx me!!!) she did have a bit of loose stool when Rainbow first left and she snuck Chocolate THunders feed, but she is an easy keeper and on Purina born to win.

has anyone had similar experince with a complete feed being too much? My hay is soft nice still green Coastal Bermuda hay. Barn kept, and under cover off ground here.

Any thoughts?????

thanks

I had two horses on Purine Equine Jr at the same time. One did fine and had normal manure piles. The other had loose cow pattyish piles, then they'd be totally normal a day, and then back to the loose. I always knew who left what pile. This went on until I switched to another complete feed, and now both have good piles and I can't tell which is from who. So yes, I'd say that there's a chance it's the food.

I talked to a representative from Purina, and she said that they make the food at different plants, so there's a chance that one plant in particular is making it differently then the others. Or you're horses might have different digestive systems and they're more prone to tummy upset, like Gideon was.

I find that the molassas in the sweet feeds can cause loose and even runny stools in some minis. If and when I feed any feed with molasses, I watch and change any that get loose. Something about the molasses tends to cause problems in some of my minis.

Angie

I have been noticing that my bags of equine jr have not been mixed as well as before. I am finding a lot of lumps in them. If I don't sift through it and break up the lumps I am afraid they will receive too much of one ingredient, probably the mollasses. It has been like this for the past couple of months. Maybe they are lowering there standards. Maybe there quality control people need to be replaced.

thanks for the replys!

I really think it is the Equine Jr, but I second guess myself as I am new to owning horses. My mare Rainbow has always been a very healthy no problem horse. And she started this as soon as we switched to the Equine jr.

I pulled them off it today, and I will report any firmiing stool! lOL!

Any more advice, comments, whatever bring it on!

thanks1
default_saludando.gif

I have been feeding Purina Juvenile to my weanlings and yearlings for a few years with excellent results. Never had a problem with lose stools. However, the feed is very rich. How much do you feed? I always feed the weanlings a small amount, twice a day. Maybe it is just too much feed at once.

Also, I always add a bit of water to the feed. Had a weanling choke once on the pellets, and it was an awful experience. The vet had to come and tube him, then he developed pneumonia. The reason he choked was he was a aggressive young colt who was gorging his feed.........darn those boys. Wendy

I have feed Purina Equine Jr. for years with GREAT results.
default_yes.gif
We also feed high quality, green, leafy hay as well...and the horses are on very lush pasture in the summer. No loose piles here.

The suggestion of maybe it is the particular plant that is making your bags...is a probably theory.
default_yes.gif

It also could just be that particular horse who is sensitive to Equine Jr.

I would suggest calling your area Purina Rep and letting them know what is going on with your horses. Any good feed rep will want to know if something is off kilter with their product, especially one that is as popular as Purina Equine Jr.

I have fed the Jr. for years and never had a problem with it ever. ?? So I'm not sure what's going on...

Latest posts

Back