Purina Equalizer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atotton

Reaction score
Does anyone here use this for feed ? How much do you feed of it per day? A friend of mine is looking in to getting a couple easy keepers, a mare 4 and gelding 3. This feed was recommended for miniatures at the feed store, since they do not carry Purina Miniature/ Pony.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the friend must mean the Horseman's Edge. We were just at a seminar last night with the Purina reps there. They talked about the Horseman's Edge product and were referring to it as an equalizer when used to help stretch your hay supply.

I am pretty sure, I was looking on their website about a month ago and was sure I saw it. Ok thanks, I'll let them know.

I feed Purina feeds and have never heard of this. I just googled it on their site, and don't see it either. Is she sure it's called "Equalizer" ?

They do have several good feeds that are quite reasonable in price, such as Horseman's Edge -- which comes in a 12%protein/6% fat, or a 14% protein/6% fat, and is produced based on the geographic area needs -- difference mixtures for different regions regarding the vitamins/minerals contents.

Perhaps they produce the product but don't offer it here, which is why I don't see it on their site. Hope someone knows the answer for you. Hope your friend enjoys her new little ones!!
Its a Purina Canada feed, here's their website: http://www.agripurina.ca/ I took a look and think it would be most similar to our Purina Enrich 12, if I compared everything right; I'm pretty sure its a ration balancer. I don't completely get metric measurements, so not 100% certain I'm getting the feeding rates; but I think for a mini, I'd probably go with one of the feeds in the Simplici-T line. Or, so we know what you are talking about, just go with the Omolene 200.

Just a thought but, if they are easy keepers, do they actually need any feed at all?? My mares never get fed during the summer, in fact the only ones fed then are the show horses, who are stalled.

I'm kind of with Rabbitsfizz. It has been shown that most healthy, adult equines that are not in significant work can do just fine on quality pasture or hay; I think we as a culture tend to overfeed concentrated forms of feeds. Many can 'do without' such feeds, at least for part of the time, as Jane suggests.

Margo

PS...as relates to feeding of equines--an article in 'The Horse' online a day or so ago alludes to a study which suggests that IR in horses may be related to high iron(ferrous) levels, and offers that it might be wise to consider the iron levels in what you feed. If you have a horse subject or known to be IR, might be something to research further.

Latest posts

Back