Pulling Horse Triailer with Truck Camper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb E

Reaction score
Anyone pull a horse trailer with a truck camper? We have a camper that sits on an extended bed truck. It probably extends 12-20 inches off the back of the truck. Just wondering if it is safe to pull a trailer and if so what kind of extended hitch you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
We pull a 3 horse bumper pull with our truck and camper. Our camper isn't as big as yours and we only have a foot extension hitch, so you will obviously need more. My husband, Larry, stresses that in addition to the extension you will need a weight distribution hitch. He estimates the hitch could cost anywhere from $700 to $1200.

I would check at a trailer sales place. You know where they sell all kinds of utility trailers and horse trailers. They should be able to help.

We pull a 3 horse bumper pull with our truck and camper. Our camper isn't as big as yours and we only have a foot extension hitch, so you will obviously need more. My husband, Larry, stresses that in addition to the extension you will need a weight distribution hitch. He estimates the hitch could cost anywhere from $700 to $1200.

That is what I am really wondering...whether we need the weight distribution hitch or not. I guess in the long run, when you consider the money one would save on hotels and not having to leave the horses at night it would be worth it. I always worry about security.

It can be done, go to a trailer or RV place, they will put an extended hitch on for you. They will reinforce it to the truck. I hope you have a 3/4 or ton truck? I had a big truck camper like you do and I pulled a 26 ft bumper pull behind a 1 ton dually.. not having a dually will cause a lot of swaying sideways, need the dual wheels for side way support. So look at the truck, before you invest, the first time you get passed or pass a semi, coming or going, it will rock your world! good luck

When you really think about it a WD system is a requirement for any horse trailer, even though most people, including myself, use a standard 5k hitch for most horse trailers, even when they weigh more than 5000lbs. Please, if you tow with the same setup all the time, please get a WD system!

We had a 9 1/2 foot camper (2200 lbs) and pulled a 3 horse slant. Our Pickup was a 3/4 ton with a class IV-V hitch. I just used an 18" extension and it worked fine. 3 yrs and no problems. Go to an RV dealer and have you hitch check out and make sure its strong enough for the pressure. They do make some very heavy duty hitches just for pulling a trailer by a truck carring a camper. Also please be sure your trailer brakes are working properly.

It can be done, go to a trailer or RV place, they will put an extended hitch on for you. They will reinforce it to the truck. I hope you have a 3/4 or ton truck? I had a big truck camper like you do and I pulled a 26 ft bumper pull behind a 1 ton dually.. not having a dually will cause a lot of swaying sideways, need the dual wheels for side way support. So look at the truck, before you invest, the first time you get passed or pass a semi, coming or going, it will rock your world! good luck
I'll second that - "Dual wheels for side way support".

We pulled our mini trailer (5 horse) with our 3/4 ton truck with a big camper with a side-out. You will need not only an extended hitch but check to see if a weight distribution hitch is needed. We had all that and yet after driving across Iowa, I came home to find wear on the sidewalls of our brand new tires. That thing rocked with the wind and the trucks so bad that I said I'd never drive it again. We sold it. Boy, I'd love to have my old gooseneck trailer back!

Latest posts

Back