Proud Flesh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody7489

Reaction score
100_1259 - Copy.JPGMy mare had an injury to her rear pastern about 2 months ago. The vet told me it had turned into proud flesh. I would like to get it removed, but wanted to see if anyone has ever had any experience with it or any results with creams or ointments vs. surgery. Equaide guarantees it will get rid of it, but I'm doubtful. Should I wait and get the larger part removed surgically or try something else? I am putting a steroid cream on it now the vet gave me that is bringing the edema down, and slightly shrinking up the proud flesh (the part that is scabbed on top).

Last edited by a moderator:
How quickly were the results with Schreiner noticeable?, and is there any side effects of using meat tenderizer? I've heard of it but am a little afraid to try..

I had a mare get caught in a wire fence and developed proud flesh. I mixed copper sulphate (bluestone) with honey to paste it on the wound, then put a bruised outter cabbage leaf (to draw any infection out) on it and bandaged it. The copper will "eat" the proud flesh.

I took it all off the next morning, gently hosed it and a big chunk of old flesh fell off. What was left was pink, kept this up for four days and all proud flesh gone. Used healing cream and healed so well you'd never tell her entire side of hock had been full of proud flesh.

The copper doesn't take anything apart from the dead flesh. Doesn't hurt them so no trouble applying poultice
default_yes.gif

One of our Quarter horses developed proud flesh a couple years ago; the vet prescribed Panalog cream and it cleared up nicely.

Liz N.

I took this from the web;

Contact your veterinarian when you first notice excessive proud flesh. He may have to trim back the granulation tissue to skin level so your horse can form skin across the wound. After your vet has trimmed back the proud flesh, follow his recommendation on wound care and treatment. Ask about a prescription antibiotic.

Stay determined. Proud flesh is stubborn, and it can take repeated trim-backs and treatments to rein it in.

************************************************************************************************

We have used the Schreiners Solution and have had good results in two cases we had of a large wound with potential for proudflesh.

When a wound is healing you have to really work on it to try to avoid proudflesh.

We were told to keep the wound clean, scrubbing off the scabbing two or three times a day and keeping the wound fresh so that the skin could heal from the sides to the centre. It takes a long time for a large wound to heal and if it isn't scrubbed clean the centre starts to build up resulting in proudflesh.

I had it on a gelding many years ago , we were given a cream by our vet that cleared it up , sorry I cant remember the name of it but Im sure it was a basic skin healing cream

Last time that I had to deal with Proud Flesh was when a new boarder came in with it. I cleaned the site with a rough brissle brush until it bled and then covered it with raw honey and then wrapped it with gauze and vet wrap. I also put vaseline around the wound to stop the honey from pulling hairs when I take the gauze off. I changed this daily for about 5 days and it was almost gone. Once the proud flesh is gone you don't need to wrap any more, just put honey on the wound and leave it open. Honey doesn't allow proud flesh to start in the first place. My vet now uses honey for all minor wounds, especially if you can't stitch the site closed.

Last time that I had to deal with Proud Flesh was when a new boarder came in with it. I cleaned the site with a rough brissle brush until it bled and then covered it with raw honey and then wrapped it with gauze and vet wrap. I also put vaseline around the wound to stop the honey from pulling hairs when I take the gauze off. I changed this daily for about 5 days and it was almost gone. Once the proud flesh is gone you don't need to wrap any more, just put honey on the wound and leave it open. Honey doesn't allow proud flesh to start in the first place. My vet now uses honey for all minor wounds, especially if you can't stitch the site closed.
THanks for this info. I wish I had this a few years ago
default_laugh.png

These are pictures after he was at my place 2 weeks. The first week was just getting rid of proud flesh. The next was you could see noticible differences. The straight cut on the top closed and the rounder one flattened out and started to close in. This wound healed without and white hairs too. This horse was ony at my place for 5 weeks. The person was taking the horse back off a lease because of the injuries were not being treated. He moved here until he was ok to travel the 6 hours back home.

poet1jan25.jpg

jan2508003.jpg

These 2 are after treatign the proud flesh with honey and wrapping for a couple of days. the top ones are a week later without wrapping.

poet004.jpg

poet003.jpg

We had a full sized horse many years ago cut her back leg- it got proud flesh on it terribly. The vet came back out and literally had to remove it- gross. I dont remember what he gave us to keep it from coming back- some type of acid something.... Then we used plain old Wonder Dust, which is made specifically for proud flesh problems- and make a paste of it with vaseline. It has worked awesome for us over the years with things like sores, wire cuts and other things that normally leave scarring.

i dont mean to intrude, but can someone please tell me what 'proud flesh' is? is it a scar or something? and why would you want it removed? i need my curiousity satisfied lol!

i dont mean to intrude, but can someone please tell me what 'proud flesh' is? is it a scar or something? and why would you want it removed? i need my curiousity satisfied lol!
Its granulated tissue that fills in larger wounds, sometimes the healing process goes haywire, and you get an over-abundance of this tissue, which is what is typically called proud flesh. While you want some granulated tissue to fill in the wound, you don't want too much that would then interfer with normal healing.

I did a quick google search, here's a nice article explaining it: http://horsedoc_org.tripod.com/id136.htm

Its granulated tissue that fills in larger wounds, sometimes the healing process goes haywire, and you get an over-abundance of this tissue, which is what is typically called proud flesh. While you want some granulated tissue to fill in the wound, you don't want too much that would then interfer with normal healing.

I did a quick google search, here's a nice article explaining it: http://horsedoc_org....d.com/id136.htm

thanks!

As someone that has come from the big horse world to the mini horse world, I must say this thread is very educational. Great thread guys!

We had a proud flesh issue with my daughters game horse last year. It was in his hind fetlock area. We applied unprocessed honey and kept his leg wrapped, with padding to help prevent it from being too tight. At first we changed the bandage daily then gradually extended it to every other day then eventually we managed to let it go for 3 days at a time. Our horse was on stall rest. The combination of limiting movement, unpasturized honey, and keeping a clean bandage on the site worked for us. Best of luck. ( Pleaes note. I am not a Vet. This is simply based on my personal experience )

I've used two products in years past that worked really well. Granulex and Underwoods Horse Medicine (mentioned above).

Back