PROTESTS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob r

Reaction score
WELL WE DID WITNESS SOME HORSES BEING MEASURED AND DID SEE WHAT LOOKED LIKE A SHETLAND BEING MEASURED AND THEY COULDN'T GET IT STRETCHED ENOUGH TO MEASURE IN I GUESS, SO THEY TOOK IT BACK TO THE STALLS, DON'T KNOW IF THEY EVER RE-MEASURED IT. AS FOR OUR HORSES, WE HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THE MEASURER. WE STOOD OUR HORSES UP AND THEY MEASURED AND EVERYONE MEASURED LIKE WE THOUGHT THEY WOULD. I DONT KNOW IF PROTESTING WOULD DO ANY GOOD ANYWAY, I FILED A PROTEST AGAINST A TRAINER FOR SHOWING IN AN AMATEUR CLASS AND GUESS WHAT? AMHA DID SUSPEND HER FROM SHOWING THE REST OF THE YEAR IN AN AMATEUR CLASS, BUT THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW PROCEDURES CORRECTLY AND SHE FILED A LAWSUIT AGAINS THEM AND WON OVER 200,000. SHE TOLD US AT AMHR NATIONALS SHE WANTED TO THANK US VERY MUCH FOR MAKING HER SO WEALTHY!!! (SCUM)!!! SO DOES IT PAY OFF TO PROTEST?

I really don't know if it does any good. People are saying they fear for the safety and lives of their horses if they protest. It seems to be really far out of hand... :no:

BUT THEY DIDN'T FOLLOW PROCEDURES CORRECTLY AND SHE FILED A LAWSUIT AGAINS THEM AND WON OVER 200,000.
Does it do any good to protest? Apparently it did for one person anyway....
default_wacko.png
: ..................... IF the above is TRUE then apparently someone (s) needs to be replaced. Start with the lawyer - can he / she be sued for screwing up?

It would if enough people decided they've had enough and filed protests....Sounds like the registry needs an overhaul....And THAT can only be done by the members....If your afraid, then why are they even showing? Leave it to all the ones who need to CHEAT to win....NOT the kind of win I'd be proud of.....

No I'm not a member of the AMHR, and from what I've heard, thankful that I'm not...

Last edited by a moderator:
No I'm not a member of the AMHR, and from what I've heard, thankful that I'm not...
Actually the exact same type of thing occurred at the AMHA show last year. Unfortunately this issue is not registry specific.

I just have to say reading all this stuff on the forum about the registires is making me feel uncomfortable as a "wantabe" to show. I showed dogs as a kid and remember all the politics that went along with it, now that I think back. I am now wondering if I really do want to get involved with that kind of thing as an adult? I think it would be very hard for me to keep my mouth shut if I see something like what you guys have been talking about. I wish I could afford someone to show him for me....

I really do want to see how my stallion would rank but if it is this unfair, I'm not sure it's worth it?! (financially, emotionally and the time) I will have to re-think this show thing again.
default_wacko.png
:

I had a blast at the local shows this year and did not see any of that happening. I showed AMHR only this year. Maybe it depends where you show?

Dont let these things ruin your showing and having a good time!!!!! It is just a few rotten apples out there.... that we would like to see follow the same rules that we all follow.

You will find the 'politics' in ANYthing you do as a group.. it just happens. You have a choice to join it, or just ignore it and have fun!!

On the whole most everyone follows what they are supposed to!!

In regards to suing, wow- no wonder the registry ends up with financial problems. I guess perhaps the person that became wealthy can thank herself, if that continues that the registry would go bottoms up, and would have no place to register, show and market her livestock!!!! She is only stealing from HERSELF!

Idiots!

I really don't know if it does any good. People are saying they fear for the safety and lives of their horses if they protest. It seems to be really far out of hand... :no:
I don't fear for my life OR my horses, but I know if I were to protest a horse I knew to be over, I'm sure my life with the breed would be over.

If my protest wasn't successful I'm sure I'd be sued backwards, forwards, upsidedown and seven ways to Sunday.

If my protest WAS successful, I'm sure I'd be ostracized regardless as a tattler and troublemaker and not some great wave-breaker.

It's loose-loose. Period. End of discussion.

Actually the exact same type of thing occurred at the AMHA show last year. Unfortunately this issue is not registry specific.
Well I am a member of AMHA...If I should decide to show, then you can bet your bippie I wouldn't be quiet about it...Cheaters just aren't on my list of "want to know people", or "to buy from" either....

And those that threaten to do harm to animals or people, are low life scum... How are we to teach the youth interested in showing that the only way to win big is to cheat? Who's going to stand up and protest? Who has the nerve to stand up against those that think the rules are above them? I'll stand up and be counted....

The above is true. AMHA's insurance company settled with her out of court. She filed a lawsuit against AMHA because the procedures for hearing the protest were not followed by the Executive Secretary and Board of Directors. The sad part is that she came out the winner when she broke the rules for showing Amatuer and not waiting the length of time necessary to show after she disolved her training facility. Now she is threatening to sue the persons involved in the original protest. I feel AMHA should handle this and take her down a few notches. It is these kind of people that we DEFINITELY do not need! They riun it for the rest of us honest people. We should also look at our Board of Directors that was responsible for this to begin with.

As far as the measuring, I did not see anything. I know that it is an ongoing problem. Everyone should be measured exactly the same (i.e., no stretching, back dropping or etc.) I also agree that we need an outside steward to measure. I also agree that the Shetlands and ponies should not be shown at AMHR nationals. We cannot bring a miniature to their shows and show. We cannot even hardship a miniature into ASPC. I love the Shetlands and think they are beautiful but they are not a miniature horse. A mini cannot compete with a Shetland and win. :no:

I also agree that the Shetlands and ponies should not be shown at AMHR nationals. We cannot bring a miniature to their shows and show. We cannot even hardship a miniature into ASPC. I love the Shetlands and think they are beautiful but they are not a miniature horse. A mini cannot compete with a Shetland and win. :no:

Actually... those with Mini only papers cannot show or be hardshipped ASPC because Shetlands are a blood registry. AMHA/AMHR are *height* registries. This is akin to saying Paints (APhA) cant show if they are registered with any other registry. ANY breed as long as it meets the height requirements and has the proper AMHA/AMHR registration can show in these shows.

Im not sure I understand the distinction between "minaiture horses" and ponies here correctly... are you referring to oversize that dont meet the classes height requirements or just any pony that carries Shetland papers also?

I am talking about a registered Shetland pony not oversize horses. If we really get down to it, most miniature horses are bred down from Shetland ponies. There is a lot of Shetland bloodline in several of my miniature horses papers, but I am not allowed to show my miniatures as a Shetland. Also, some of the Shetland ponies that are shown at AMHR nationals go oversize as yearlings or two year olds. I just feel that they should keep it to horses that are going to mature under 38".

I agree that the problem starts at the level of 'local' shows. Otherwise, how did these oversized horses qualify to get to Nationals in the first place?

Many Shetlands are small enough to be registered as R horses, but I totally agree- if they go over, they are no longer R!

Also, some of the Shetland ponies that are shown at AMHR nationals go oversize as yearlings or two year olds. I just feel that they should keep it to horses that are going to mature under 38".

This is why there were further height limits imposed on weanlings, yearlings, and two year olds, so that ponies that would never stay within the height of being a miniature would be less likely to be shown as miniatures while they were younger.

For the "over" divisions, a foal of current year cannot exceed 32" to show;

a yearling cannot exceed 36" to show;

and a two year old cannot exceed 37" to show.

I agree that Shetlands shouldn't be shown at a miniature show. That's what was represented in the "B' division at Nationals. I feel if the horse is registered both ways, the owners should be required to designate which way they will be shown. How can a horse be a mini by day and shetland by night. HMMM. They do make a beautiful cross, but as a mini owner we are loosing perspective with the miniature breed. :no: dionne

I have never understood why some people are so scared of the ASPC registered miniature horse. ALL miniatures came from ASPC registered horses. Just because a horse has ASPC papers does not make it good quality, either. And I don't understand why people think a horse should ONLY be shown in one registry. Should miniatures be shown either AMHA OR AMHR? That just doesn't make sense. If a horse has papers, then it should be eligible to be shown.

I personally feel it's a VERY good thing to bring close ASPC blood back into the minis. Look how amazing they look and perform! They have a lot to add to the stumpy minis of the past.

Some Shetland ponies are registered AMHA and PtHA, the Shetland pony is a very versatile thing... the Miniature division is PART of the Shetland Pony Club as a whole, not a whole separate entity.

Andrea

I feel when a horse is shown in the "B" division you are seeing the smaller shetland, not a miniature. I noticed they even had the "B's" at the Nationals were stretched out like the shetlands. dionne

The B division is not just small shetlands. I had a mare that was all AMHA bred but she ended up growing to about 35'' tall so she showed as a B mini in AMHR. She did very well for herself.

I have a Shetland pony that showed this year in the AMHR ''A'' division. There are some ASPC registered horses that are under 34''. A miniature horse is ANY small equine that can measure in. That's that. I welcome ANY nice horses, be they small Shetlands or POAs or anything!

Andrea

I agree that Shetlands shouldn't be shown at a miniature show. That's what was represented in the "B' division at Nationals. I feel if the horse is registered both ways, the owners should be required to designate which way they will be shown. How can a horse be a mini by day and shetland by night. HMMM. They do make a beautiful cross, but as a mini owner we are loosing perspective with the miniature breed. :no: dionne
They arent mini by day, shetland by night... they are both, always. Would you advocate horses not be allowed to show both A and R? Minis are a height registry, not a "breed" in the standard use of the term, and as Disneyhorse pointed out, many many minis carry a LOT of shetland blood... even if they do not carry 2 sets of papers.

Im not sure I understand why all the fuss about if a pony is registered shetland or not while showing as a mini. If a horse is losing to another, or the owner feels he isnt competitive against certain other horses, take a good look at the 2 to understand why one might be placed higher. In theory at least, the better conformed, better moving horse should win (provided they meet the height requirements if talking about a mini show).

Latest posts

Back