protein???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
I live in the Uk and we dont have "miniature" feeds as you seem to do in the US. I have a mini thats two in May 08 and i have been feeding him the recommended amount of stud mix per his weight. However it does seem rather a lot of "volume" for him to be eating. He isnt fat but could do with loosing a few pounds before the show season. We have started a small routine of walking out in hand recently in preparation which will increase over the next few months. I dont have access at the moment to a round pen etc..

Now i have been recommended that to reduce the volume of feed to help his weight, to change to a stud balancer. However this has a high protein content ( around 25-30% protein ) and im worried that this will be too high. I have heard that a high protein content for minis is not good.

I dont want to just reduce the amount of stud mix as im worried if he isnt getting the recommended amount that he wont get the right amount of vitamins etc.

Worming etc has been checked

Please could anyone advise on the protein issue and please use plain " english " !!!!!!!

Does your feed contain molasses? That can add to calories. I like the Buckeye or Progressive feeds for horses of all types (not just minis)- you can chose the type of Progressive or Buckeye depending on if you feed alfalfa or grass hay.

Good luck!

Peggy in Kansas

It sounds like your stud balancer is similar to the ration balancers (or diet balancers) we have here. Yes, the protein sounds very high, but it will all work out, if you feed it as the manufacturer recommends. Robin C on the Forum can explain it very well, she is pxperf on here, but I haven't seen her on for awhile. I feed Progressive Nutrition's Diet Balancer and have for the last several years. I've used a variety of feeds over the years, and the Diet Balancer is so much better than anything else I've ever used. I feed it to babies, broodmares, stallions, show horses, etc.

Sorry I can't give you an explanation for the high protein!
default_rolleyes.gif

I live in the Uk and we dont have "miniature" feeds as you seem to do in the US. I have a mini thats two in May 08 and i have been feeding him the recommended amount of stud mix per his weight. However it does seem rather a lot of "volume" for him to be eating. He isnt fat but could do with loosing a few pounds before the show season. We have started a small routine of walking out in hand recently in preparation which will increase over the next few months. I dont have access at the moment to a round pen etc..

Now i have been recommended that to reduce the volume of feed to help his weight, to change to a stud balancer. However this has a high protein content ( around 25-30% protein ) and im worried that this will be too high. I have heard that a high protein content for minis is not good.

I dont want to just reduce the amount of stud mix as im worried if he isnt getting the recommended amount that he wont get the right amount of vitamins etc.

Worming etc has been checked

Please could anyone advise on the protein issue and please use plain " english " !!!!!!!
Your stud balancer sounds very much like the ration balancers we have here in the states.

I feed Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula (ration balancer for grass hay); it is 30% protein, my B-size minis get 1/2# per day, my only A-size mini gets 1/4-1/3# per day. A ration balancer is a highly concentrated vitamin/miuneral/protein "feed"; because it is highly concentrated you feed a very small amount. Yes, it is 30% protein, but overall diet protein is what's important, not just the hard feed portion, you need to include long-stem hay, pasture, or whatever forage you are feeding into your protein calculations.

The grass hay I'm feeding was put up late, so average protein level (from book information) is about 8-9% protein. So, for my 350# mare, who I feed about 7# hay plus 1/2# ration balancer; she gets .56-.64# protein from hay plus .15# protein from ration balancer; so total diet protein is .7-.79# or 10-11.25% protein in her overal diet (now this isn't exact math, but quicky math, just to show you how the ration balancer plays into the diet). Her overall diet has an appropriate level of protein at around 10-11%.

According to an equine nutrionist that I trust, and my own research, and a few of the vets out here, horses cannot assimilate more than 15% overall protein in their diet. I never feed over 14% and usually prefer 12% in any packaged feeds. Higher protein levels are very very hard on the liver and kidneys as they try to filter and expel it as toxins. If you've ever had a horse that pees a reddish brown color, this usually is excess protein being eliminated.

Liver failure happened rapidly to a ranch horse on the guest ranch we managed a few years ago. I had repeatedly stated this horse should NOT be fed alfalfa as it was too rich in protein for what he was used to as a range bred and raised horse. But the owners would not listen. Sure enough, within three months he nearly died of liver failure. The vets said NO alfalfa at all, and strictly grass hay if he was to live. Sorry, kind of off topic, but it is an example of what can happen from too high a protein level in a horse's diet.

According to an equine nutrionist that I trust, and my own research, and a few of the vets out here, horses cannot assimilate more than 15% overall protein in their diet. I never feed over 14% and usually prefer 12% in any packaged feeds. Higher protein levels are very very hard on the liver and kidneys as they try to filter and expel it as toxins. If you've ever had a horse that pees a reddish brown color, this usually is excess protein being eliminated.

Liver failure happened rapidly to a ranch horse on the guest ranch we managed a few years ago. I had repeatedly stated this horse should NOT be fed alfalfa as it was too rich in protein for what he was used to as a range bred and raised horse. But the owners would not listen. Sure enough, within three months he nearly died of liver failure. The vets said NO alfalfa at all, and strictly grass hay if he was to live. Sorry, kind of off topic, but it is an example of what can happen from too high a protein level in a horse's diet.
Thanks everyone.... think ill stick to what he's on!!!

I just started a ration balancer a week ago, which is 32% protein. Now, I'm afraid to use it...i have heard about the "too much protein thing" before & have always been leary. I wish I knew for certain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please listen to what Chanda is saying. It sounds like a lot, but it works out to a much lower number when you factor in the whole diet. A ration balancer is NOT a grain, it is a unique product. The levels that outlawridge is talking about is for grain. Why not contact the manufacturer of the feed you are considering and ask them your questions? I'm sure they can explain the balancer much better.

I just started a ration balancer a week ago, which is 32% protein. Now, I'm afraid to use it...i have heard about the "too much protein thing" before & have always been leary. I wish I knew for certain.
Don't panic, ration balancers are not grain, they are fed in very small amounts, so make up a very small amount of the overall diet. OVERALL DIET IS WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT, not just the grain portion. Just be sure to follow manufacturers feeding directions and you should be just fine.

What ration balancer are you feeding? What are the recommended feeding levels? And, how big are your minis (weight, age and work)?

I've been on my feed program for 3 years now and everyone looks great. I did recently try a change and was very unhappy, so I'm now back on the ration balancer and hay plus soaked beet pulp in winter.

What ration balancer are you feeding? What are the recommended feeding levels? And, how big are your minis (weight, age and work)?

Mine are size b, around 400 lbs. The two horses are 7 yrs old & the donkey is 5 yrs. I take them for daily jogs on my golf cart (2 miles) but that's about the only work they get. We plan to train one to pull a cart before long. Here is the link to the one I'm using; they'll be getting 1/2 lb, but I'm slowly working them up to that amount.

http://seminolefeed.com/ProductSheetsforWeb/Equalizer.mht

Last edited by a moderator:

Mine are size b, around 400 lbs. The two horses are 7 yrs old & the donkey is 5 yrs. I take them for daily jogs on my golf cart (2 miles) but that's about the only work they get. We plan to train one to pull a cart before long. Here is the link to the one I'm using; they'll be getting 1/2 lb, but I'm slowly working them up to that amount.

http://seminolefeed.com/ProductSheetsforWeb/Equalizer.mht
Looks like a good ration balancer.

1/2 pound sounds right for minis of their size. Is your donkey a mini or standard? If he's a mini, then I'd feed him a little less of the ration balancer than you are feeding the minis, as they tend to need less protein than horses (if he's standard then I'd go with just the 1/2#).

Back