Pros and Cons (wood/metal shafts)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
I am finally not harness shopping anymore, my harness has been ordered and paid for. I'm pretty excited about that! I am wondering where some places are to order mini sized breastcollar and saddle pads for harness. The place I ordered thru only has pony sized...

I am still looking at an endless number of carts. It really is quite a big decision for me. I keep going back and forth...wood shafts look nicer to me, but I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with both, for a newbie to cart purchasing. The only driving I have done is team driving...and those were with drafts....

I am looking for a nice looking cart for training and playing around in. It would not be a show cart, as I don't show, I would be more interested in driving on the trails. I don't know if metal shafts are easily removed, most wooden ones I have seen are removed easily. Do the metal shafts tend to chip paint and rust easily? There are two carts right now I really like. The Lignite cart (long waiting list right now I guess, and larger wheels, plenty of leg room, and wood shafts) and the Triple C Carts out of MN, which are all metal carts, complete with brakes. www.tripleccarts.com I believe is their website... There is a difference of $125 dollars in price, but with the Lignite cart, I could go pick it up myself and not pay shipping charges.

I am really tired of going back and forth here....I am looking for opinions from those who love one type of shaft over another. Thank you much!

VerticallyChallenged said:
I am finally not harness shopping anymore, my harness has been ordered and paid for. I'm pretty excited about that! I am wondering where some places are to order mini sized breastcollar and saddle pads for harness. The place I ordered thru only has pony sized...
Most miniature horse supply places like Ozark Mtn (minitack.com), Prime Design, Star Lake, etc. carry them. If you want the non-absorbent, not-fuzzy pads you can try Camptown Harness. I have one of theirs in the mail to me to try out, I'll let ya'll know how I like it but it's supposed to be more in-scale than most the mini pads I've tried.

I don't know if metal shafts are easily removed, most wooden ones I have seen are removed easily. Do the metal shafts tend to chip paint and rust easily?
My experience has been the opposite. Most the wooden shafts are an integral part of the cart body and are not removeable, and many metal-bodied carts (such as Bellcrown, Bennington, Edgeman, the Hyperbike, etc.) have removeable shafts. I don't believe the Frontier carts have this feature, nor do most of their generic counterparts, but some carts do.

Powdercoated metal shafts last pretty well in my limited experience but shafts that are just painted do tend to rust and chip. On the other hand wooden shafts will require revarnishing at some point and can warp just like any wood. I have not yet owned a wooden cart but I've poked and prodded a lot of them in my shopping and I think it really depends on the cart. If the shafts are slim and strong and not too heavy then I like them. The shafts that are huge and chunky, or made of a heavy wood are not to my liking. Then again metal shafts can be very heavy, or if they're hollow they may bend under stress. It's important that your cart be well balanced so that the shafts don't feel heavy to your horse no matter what they're made of. I'm too light to properly balance out my cart and I've noticed my tug loops are getting pulled downwards pretty strongly, making me wish my shafts were a little wider diameter so they weren't stressing the leather in such a narrow spot.

Be aware that if you get in an accident and your wooden shaft splinters you are out of luck until you can get another one sent out and installed. A metal shaft will bend and you can probably bend it back into place long enough to get home. It will be weaker after that and you'll want to have it checked or replaced, but you can get home with it!
default_yes.gif
:

It's a lot to think about and I sympathize with your indecision. I hate shopping online for this stuff! LOL

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both types of shafts, and I like my metal easy entry, the shafts are awesome, even when your cart tips! I have yet to try out my wooden ones but my cart is wooden and light and amazing, with a hint of strength to it, and I think they will hold up well, but for a fun cart i would suggest metal, just for the durability factor....but that is just me. They can be cheaper too, in some cases

Actually, the shafts on the Frontier EE all-metal pipe cart ARE a single unit, and ARE easily removable. I have driven MANY a trail mile in my Frontiers, and I don't think they can be beat, for the price and for what they are-which is a very basic and pretty sturdy everyday-type, not overly heavy, cart. ANY metal shaft can bend, ANY wooden shaft can splinter...bottom line is how you want a cart to serve you. Numerous people apparently do basic CDE marathon-type stuff in Frontier EEs and similar, but the wheels aren't made for a tremendous side-load, which is why pneumatic wheels in general aren't allowed for CDEs, except at some venues for VSEs, and at the most basic levels(Training-and I think, Preliminary?) -so if you wanted to get HEAVILY involved in that kind of activity, you might want something more than a basic Frontier or similar cart...

The guy who builds the Lignites seems a knowledgeable(if opinionated!) fellow; I don't have any personal experience with them, but would strongly consider one. If you are close enough to pick up ANY cart w/o paying shipping, that would be a sizable savings, in these times. I would be a bit leery of ANY of the Frontier(which I consider the 'industry leader' for carts of that particular type)'knockoffs'-at least, if I couldn't see and evaluate them w/ my own eyes--I have seen several 'off-brands' that turned out to have drawbacks, not evident in photos or descriptions. For the most part, I do think you 'get what you pay for' in miniature carts, too. Bellcrown, Bennington, and now, Pacific(from Canada) are among those now building miniature horse-sized carts with excellent and desirable features--but, they do cost quite a bit more than a Frontier, or even the Lignite.

Margo

Thank you much for all of the input!

Hmmm..CDE's look like a BLAST...and can't rule that out for down the road.... but being a first time cart buyer...I'm a bit intimidated by all the choices!

Thanks for making it a little easier!

Margo, pneumatic tires are allowed at training level for all sizes unless the organizer says otherwise based on the terrain. Once you hit Prelim, steel or wood wheels are required.

Personally if I wasn't showing, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Frontier cart. My Edgeman is just like it only every single thing is fancier (wooden singletree has brass hooks, the shaft caps are brass, the pneumatic tires are specially built, etc.) it has torsion axles and the shafts adjust, but I pay for it in weight. Once I get into deep going (soft deep sand, etc.) Kody does have trouble pulling the little wheels with horizontal draft and a breastcollar, but if the cart weighed what the Frontier does he wouldn't have a problem. And I do a LOT of cross country driving so I know what I'm talking about! LOL

You can use a Frontier for beginning CDE's, local driving shows, parades, just about anything. They really are the best. But if you don't mind waiting and can get that Lignite without shipping...man. Good deal.

Leia

I am not a fan of the fuzzy pads either. They need to be kept really clean and when the horse sweats they get quite wet and seem to hold the heat onto the horse.

The non-fuzzy pads are by far, the best (JMHO). You can get them from Camptown Harness, but if you need shaped ones or want a more specific fit for your harness you can get Kathleen Conklin at http://horseblanketetc.com/ She will even make them from a tracing of your harness so you can get them just the exact size you want....and they are excellent quality too!!!

Latest posts

Back