Prop 2

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I read and what I saw, I would support it. All animals should be humanely treated, there's no question!

I just wish we could also adopt a federal law against animal cruelty to come down on people who purposely torture an animal.... such as the mini and the cat that were killed in Kansas. That should be a federal felony. In some states it is only considered a misdemeanor with the punishment being either a fine, very little jail time, or both.

It sounds good on paper, but the reality of it is that it's going to make costs-especially for chicken farmers-so high that they will likely either close down or move out of state. California will then have to by eggs shipped in from other states that don't have the same regulations...so it's not preventing cruelty on that front, just moving it somewhere we can't see it.

I am anti-gestational crates for hogs but pro-farrowing crates. A lot of producers have begun to move away from the gestation crates so hopefully that will be a moot point soon.

I also don't think CA has a huge veal industry to worry about, but the same argument applies for that as it does for the egg farmers.

I would be for it. I understand it's going to make costs go up for the farmers, which in turn go up for consumers. I'd be willing to pay a little extra for my meat/eggs knowing that the animal had somewhat of a better life. I like to get all my meats locally for that particular reason, that way I know a little bit about where they came from, of course, not everyone has this option.

This prop has been discussed a bit on some of the dog newsgroups that I'm on and there is concern that it'll be inclusive to companion animals as well.

The thing is that the animal is suppose to be able to lay down and stretch all its legs and NOT be able to touch the walls or another animal.

The problem heavily there is transport of animals say a large or giant breed dog.

In a case like this crates would have to be so large that they couldn't fit in many vehicles or possibly not be flown.

What about pets that are confined to crate rest because of surgery or illness?

If a crate is too big it can defeat the purpose.

There is concern that it'll open up organizations to go willy nilly to people's private property.

More PETA at work.

Just sharing what I've heard.

Latest posts

Back