Promise update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhHorsePee

Reaction score
Things are getting better with Promise!! She is being more trusting and accepts me doing more with her. She does have vertical stripes on her hooves (three of them. I can actually pick them up now even though she will take her hoof back after a couple of minutes. She does not like to have them cleaned but she is not trying to kill me when I do it. I have been going in and messing with her frequently but sometimes I will just sit down and not even say a word and she now comes over even without a treat. I am soooooo happy! I was getting frustrated with myself that maybe I was not good enough to take her on. Still not sure of that! Have messed with a lot of regular horses, but have never had one in her condition, or lack of. She absolutely will not let me lift her tail and still has a tizzy when I brush it. I am excited to assume the farrier will work on her now. She needs it bad.

If you were me what would be the next thing you would work on with her? She is prego (supposedly) I keep trying to get her use to me being behind her. Yes, she is a maiden four year old.

I really do appreciate all of you guy's assistance. I am in awe of the knowledge I have read on here.
worshippy.gif

Thank you

Fran

Last edited by a moderator:
Fran make yourself a "Magic Hand" to do all the tail handling and leg rubbing with. Half a broom pole. Marigold glove stuffed with whatever you've got. Tape it to the broom handle. Stand up making reassuring sounds and rub "Danger Areas" with the magic hand, whilst standing well out of reach. This way the gentle reassuring noises can continue long after you would normally be diving for cover, and when you reprimand, not only will you NOT be hiding behind a bale of straw, you can do it really calmly!!!
laugh.gif

Fizzy, I just love your "Magic Hand!" I'm gonna make one myself one of these days. You could use clicker training with that, too. Using the Magic Hand, you could slide it to a touchy area. If she lets you touch her there without kicking, remove the hand while clicking and treating. It just speeds up that desensitization process a little when you add in the c/t.
yes.gif

Glad to hear that you continue to use kind and gentle methods while working with your new mare!

Great job, keep it up. I also use the magic hand idea, works great.

WOnderful news!

I LOVE that idea about the magic hand! I would never have thought of that even though I have seen it used many times with dogs!

That is a GREAT idea!

Don't loose heart, sometimes they will go backwards in their trust a little but it sounds like she is coming along great!

Sounds like you are doing a great job Fran! I love the idea of the magic hand - never heard of that - I will hopefully retain that in my memorie bank for future use!!

Thank you all! And a "magic hand" it shall be. What a fantastic idea!!!

See, I knew you guys would have the answer!
yes.gif

Thank you again

Fran

Latest posts

Back