ProMeris something new for fleas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have and it does work.
default_saludando.gif

No need for it here. I use natural alternatives (raw Apple Cider Vinegar, BugOff garlic and diatomaceous earth labeled for use on and around pets).

Marty, I really need something different. Frontline does not work anymore! I asked at our vet's office and they said the rep had given them some as a sample, and one of the girls in the office had taken it home and used it, but never did say if it did or did not work. In other words, they are happy to sell Frontline, and don't want to try another product. Sounds just like our vet's office on anything or everything else they sell. I do go somewhere else farther up the road for a lot of things, and guess I will go there to try ProMaris. I have also tried the diatomateous earth for pets, and it does not work well here. I have one dog that stays in water, and it irritated the skin of my chihuahua so much that she was scratching more than when she had fleas. If you try it, let me know how it works.

Well here's my report:

I applied the Promeris to Amy and Devin. Amy is the one that had fleas that I saw on her and Devin didn't seem to have any.

Amy began to pace back and forth and became very uncomfortable right away and that's when I noticed the fleas were already dying and falling off on the floor within 30 minutes. I thought it was going to take 24 hours to kick in. They were easy to see because the hardwood flooring is really light. I wiped her with a towel and holy smokes that big puppy had quite a few come off on the towel already dead on her, much more than I saw in the first place. She settled down within about an hour. Devin just went to sleep as usual. They were both outside with me almost all day long today and so far, I can't see any sign of fleas.

So I'd say yes this stuff works and very very fast. Says its good for 30 days.

I did buy a Adams flea collar too for back up and I will put that on in a day or two.

Adams stuff always works good too.

Drops AND a collar is a lot of chemicals on one dog. It could cause a reaction. I would stick to one or the other. Less is more.

You're right Nik, that's why I changed my mind and decided to hold off on the collars instead of putting them on today

but opps, I see fleas today too
default_new_shocked.gif

That's a good link hrselvr. No problems here at all regards to reactions or illness but I am not sure it's working like it should on the fleas other than when I made the first application. I do see fleas. Not a lot, just a couple today but they don't appear to be dying anymore and it's only been a few days since initial application. I'll keep you posted on this. It is kinda weird that Devin is outside a lot more than Amy but he has zero fleas so maybe it just likes to work better on certain dogs.

Also I am not a fan of Fort Dodge whatsoever. If I had realized before I purchased this product from my vet I would have never bought it. Now that I know, I will not purchase it again just out of basic principal that I don't trust Fort Dodge products.

mininik,

I'd like to hear more about the natural alternatives you use and how/how often you apply/feed/whatever them.

I've always been uncomfortable applying poisons to my animals. While some chemicals may be a necessary evil, I want to keep abreast of any viable alternatives.

Interestingly, for some reason (nothing that we did intentionally) we had no fleas here last summer.

I feed BugOff Garlic every other day. I also put a dash of raw Apple Cider Vinegar OR a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract in the dogs' drinking water every other day. When needed (if I have an infested dog come into the parlour), I sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth on everything inside after a good house cleaning and outside, too. If infested, dogs are bathed using Natural Chemistry's DeFlea Shampoo. I've even used Natural Defense (drops, sprays and carpet powder) and like it, though I have read reviews stating that some animals have had reactions to these particular products and that some pet owners do not like the scent. (My dogs have had no problems and though I enjoy the scent, I have learned that a little goes a long ways!)

I have not used chemical drops in YEARS and can count the number of times I've had fleas or ticks even with a grooming parlour in our home that frequently has infested dogs coming and going into our yards and basement (where my personal dogs are allowed to roam). My dogs and I have also traveled to areas where there are major flea and tick troubles and so far, so good!

Thanks, Nicole!

I realize you probably buy wholesale, but do you have any recommendations for purchasing these products online?

I've been through a lot of the popular flea products on the market. I first started with Revolution, which worked at the time, and don't remember why I first went off of it. Then I tried Advantix. UGH my dog would NOT stop itching. It made her skin pink and inflammed, and it only lasted two weeks for me. Then I went to Frontline Plus, didn't work at all. Then I went back to Revolution, which didn't work as well the second time I think because it's a systemic product and my dog must have developed worse flea allergies. My vet suggested Advantage, which works for us and what I still use. I don't think it covers ticks though.

You'll probably still see a flea or two on your dog if this is the first time she's being treated. Reason being that the fleas are probably in your carpet, furniture, dog bed, etc. unless those have been treated too.

For many years I had used the Frontline product on all my dogs and cat. Just a year or so ago, just before we were to leave for our vacation trip to Okla. I got some Frontline packs and administered them to my pets.....the dogs were ok...but man my cat who had been on the stuff and never had a reaction had a reaction then. He got lethargic, would'nt eat and just pretty much sat there looking really sad. I called the vet and long story short he advised me on what to look for should his symptoms change and to bring him in right away. Well eventually the reaction wore off..... and we were able to head down the road on our trip knowing that Larry was alright. Whew! What a scare! Since then I've not used Frontline on amy of my pets....nor any chemical products.

Actually I've heard that some of the flea meds today get shipped from Austrailia. Who knows if they are still viable when they get here.

Where do you get BUGOff Garlic? My mother in law never, ever got bitten by any kind of insect, and she said it was because she took garlic every day. She also used to sprinkle Brewer's yeast on her dog's food.

We are selling Comfortis by Lily at the clinic, it is a 30 day flea tab for dogs only. People have been very happy using it because it is an oral & does not wash off like the topicals. They can bathe weekly if they want, the dogs can go swimming in the river too. We still carry Frontline & Advantage for the people that want it. Frontline kills ticks, Advantage does not for those of you that find that important. Also remember that the fleas have to crawl on your pet & sometimes bite them to be affected by the flea products, so your pet will still have fleas if your enviroment is not clean. Cats are flea bags, fleas seem to love cats more than dogs & cats wander around in & out of yards, where most dogs do not.

For those of your using a combo heartworm Flea product like Revolution or Advantage Multi, remember if you are not happy with the flea portion & want to change, remember to not to forget to keep your pet on heartworm meds too.

Also remember that products you buy from an authorized dealer like your vet, or pet supplier is backed up by the manufactorer. If you have a reaction it is important to report it, so they can keep track of problems. There is an 800 number on the box to report any issues. Like anything else, products will affect different pets different ways. But products you buy from ebay or unlicensed online companies can contain anything. We have heard of outdated stuff being sold online through different sources.

Fleas are NOT fun, especially for pets. Good luck!

Debbie

Executive Director

Freeman-Fritts Non Profit Veterinary Clinic & Shelter

BugOff Garlic is available Online through many suppliers. I like to go directly to the source:

http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/148/2

For about $30. you can get THREE POUNDS. That'll last a long time, even if you have a bunch of dogs like we do. They also sell it for horses.

For everything else, I usually buy from http://www.onlynaturalpet.com

Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and Grapefruit Seed Extract are usually available at health stores.

I also use Azmira's Herbal Dewormer: http://www.azmira.com

I just don't believe in garlic... I eat garlic by the HEAD (fortunately husband does not mind
default_wink.png
) and mosquitos LOVE to bite me.

My horses have been on garlic for two months now, they have about the same amount of flies as ever. Their grain does smell good (at least to me, I LOVE garlic).

I just don't believe in the "natural" stuff, never has worked.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back