Prolapse in minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairygirl

Reaction score
My mini mare Beauty prolapsed during a bad birth on Monday night. I am concerned about her doing it again. My vet said she may do it and told me how to fix it if it happend but I was hoping someone who has had this happen can share their story and out come.

She is on meds but is having some drainage. i'm worried about a rupture but he told me that it was nothing I could do if it did happen. I've already lost a mare to a rupture from birth this year.
default_no.gif

I'm worried over her at this point. She is eating hay and grass. Doesn't care a lot about the feed but is eating fine. Every now and then she has like a contraction so I don't know if she is trying to push out the fluid or if she is trying to prolapse.

Vet told me to keep a eye on her and if she seems in pain or having problems to call.

i could scream.

(Knock on wood) We've never had that experience........ I'm so sorry.

I had a mare try to prolapse on her first foal, she kept laying down and pushing after she had him and had already passed the placenta, I called the vet, knowing something was wrong, and wondering if possibly a twin, I know it is rare, but I couldn't figure out why she kept pushing, he came out and gave her a spinal block, so she would relax, he said she was trying to prolapse and we didn't want her to keep pushing..........she was fine after that. Hope your mare will be ok.

We had a mare with a rectal prolapse not uterine but the vet did tie a string stitch in pretty tight to hold it from coming back out -- that was that way for 12 hours and then we were able to loosen the stitch -- we did it ourselves -- just had to untie the knot and let it loose and then we retied it for another 12 hours. Then we were able to take it out completely and she did not prolapse again.

But I know he did tell me that with any prolapse the animal is prone to do it again so if you ever rebred her there would be a chance it could happen again.

Best of luck to you and your mare.. .

We had a 5 year old mare prolappse this year with her 2nd foal. The foal was trying to come forehead first and while it was very hard, we managed to get the head repositioned and I pulled him out quickly. In fact the whole birth start to finish even with major problems wasnt much over a half hour so it wasnt like she was pushing for hours. But soon after the foal came out she started prolapsing. It was all the way out by the time the vet got here. But she replaced it and put in caslicks and said DONT BREED HER AGAIN!!!

So now I hear other vets saying go ahead and breed. Im torn and if I did rebreed her I wonder how long you would wait before trying again. Im not sure if Im up for that myself.

Well this morning she is back to normal. Thank God! I was so very worried last night.

I'm going to keep her on some pain meds for a few more days and hope this helps. I just knew if she did prolapse again it wouldn't be a good sign.

Thanks everyone. Doesn't look like many have had this happen and I sure hope it stays that way.

Best go feed. She knows i'm up and is out there yelling at me to bring her some feed. LOL.

Glad to hear she's doing well.

We had a difficult birthing situation and the vet attending said that she often would do a stitch or two to prevent prolapse, however she decided against this time and just advised us to observe, in case.

All was well and the mare is fine.

When we had sheep there were a fair number of ewes that would prolapse due to multiple lambs and the huge size of the ewe. Prolapsing was common.

There was an appliance that looked like a long shoe horn which was inserted and there were two "arms" at the end which were tied outside of the ewe's butt to keep it in place. (I wish I could draw a picture)

I was thinking that this may not be a bad idea for a prolapse in a mini, but never have been faced with the situation.

I have a question. When a mare is trying to prolapse does giving pain medication (Banamine) help to stop her from pushing? And will stoping her from pushing stop the prolapse or has it gone beyond stopping at the time the foal is delivered?

Years back I had a mare I was worried about prolapsing. She had a very large hematoma (on vet examination) which caused her to continue trying to push for days after foaling. I was very concerned about prolapse and gave Banamine which stopped the pushing for about 8 - 10 hours. If a mare is actually in the process of prolapse will banamine help the situation... I guess is what I'm asking?

Charlotte

I would be interested to know the answer as well.

With the sheep the vet would often stitch the ewe up and she would still keep pushing, most times till she broke the stitches and forced the uterus out.

With the appliance that pushed the prolapse back in place she would stop pushing, however I think if she was prolapsing and there is nothing to push the uterus back where it should be she'll keep pushing.

I do believe banamine would help if given soon enough, I know with the mare I had, it was her first foal and the vet thought that her way of dealing with the pain was to keep pushing, but she needed something to relax her quick, and to make her quit pushing......He gave her a spinal block that worked instantly. She quit laying down to push, and stood to let her foal nurse, we did have to watch her pretty close as she was a little unstable on her back legs around the foal. I don't think in this case the banamine was enough to do the trick, we wanted her to stop pushing asap.

I always use the banamine paste if I have a mare uncomfortable after foaling now, and although it takes a little more time to work, I haven't ever had a problem since. I do think it is rare for a mare to prolapse.

Latest posts

Back