Progressive Nutrition Feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
Just curious if any here use Progressive Nutrition, I'm thinking about switching, but not sure as it would be a little more out of my way to pick it up. I currently use Triple Crown 30% Supplement, but because my Welsh Pony was recently diagnosed with Cushings, I may have to switch her to something else(the 30% Supplement does have some molasses in it, and she might be reacting to it). I'm looking at the Progressive Pro Advantage Grass Formula and/or ProAdd Ultimate. Anyone use either of those?

I feed Progressive products almost exclusively. I've been using them for a number of years now and have been very satisfied. They have products to meet just about any lifestyle of horse.

But, to answer your question directly, I have used the Balancers since I first started with Progressive. Currently, I am using the ProAdd Ultimate for all of my mature horses. It's not as expensive as it seems as you feed such a small amount of it.

If you want to stay with Triple Crown, you might look at their Safe Starch Forage. No added sugar and low NSC.

I'm looking for something that everyone can eat, I just hate having multiple bags of feed, especially since the Minis get so little, a bag even for the 4 of them can last a long time! Did you have any trouble getting them to eat the ProAdd Ultimate?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!

I feed the Progressive Pro Advantage Grass Formula and I love it. As long as it is fed properly as instructed on the bag the horses keep great weight over their backs and have nice shiny coats.

I've been using Progresssive for about 5 years, almost since I started with minis. I feed primarily the ProAdvantage grass formula, and love it. [in the past I have added BOSS in the winter for a little extra fat with our extreme cold and it adds a little more shine to the coat.]

I have 10 minis: 8 do great on just the ration balancer plus hay/pasture; the other two need a few more calories, so get senior or oats added (I like the senior, and they seem to do better with the senior added rather than just oats - the senior I use has real ingredients; alfalfa, beet pulp, oats and barley plus mineral/etc to balance).

There are dealers around. I drive 5 hrs to get it- I LOVE it so much!

If I remember correctly you can go to their website http://www.prognutrition.com/ and go the the "contact us" page and fill out the form asking if there are any places in your area that carry the feed. I think that is how I found out where I could get mine and there are only a couple places in my area that carry it.

The Balancers and ProAdd Ultimate supplement are just that. Supplements. They are fed in such small amounts, horses never seem to object to them and do indeed like the flavor. Think of them as a multi vitamin that you would take everyday. They are not a feed as such - simply a protein/vitamin/mineral supplement.

I love the Progressive Growth formula feeds for my young horses, the Balancers - ProAdd Ultimate for the adult horses. I've also used a variety of their other products as well. Rejuvenaide for leg issues in foals. I've discovered their Aqua Aide electrolytes this summer and my horses love those!

There are dealers located across the country and if you go to their website as suggested, you should be able to find a dealer close to you.

Some of their products are available on their website. However, their feeds are not.

So--this brand is only available via mail??? No stores sell it?
They have a dealer locator on their website, they keep changing their website, so it took me a minute to find their dealer locator page, here's a link: http://www.prognutrition.com/dealers.html

You can use the drop down state menu, or just click on your state on the map.

My closest dealer is 50 miles (and he's a bit of a flake, so I never know what might be in stock), but I order from a store 6 hours away, as they have a monthly delivery route with free delivery (wwaiting on this months delivery; usually delivers on Wed, but probably tomorrow with the Monday holiday).

Just curious if any here use Progressive Nutrition, I'm thinking about switching, but not sure as it would be a little more out of my way to pick it up. I currently use Triple Crown 30% Supplement, but because my Welsh Pony was recently diagnosed with Cushings, I may have to switch her to something else(the 30% Supplement does have some molasses in it, and she might be reacting to it). I'm looking at the Progressive Pro Advantage Grass Formula and/or ProAdd Ultimate. Anyone use either of those?
This starting ringing a bell--someone else mentioned that TC30 had molasses, and I didn't think it did because the NSC is very low. Here's the ingredient list:

Ingredients

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Limestone, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Distillers Dried Grains, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Kelp Meal, Yeast Culture, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Anethole, Fenugreek Seed, Lecithin, Iron Proteinate, Magnesium Proteinate, Dried Trichoderma Longibrachiatum Fermentation Extract, Soybean Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Selenium Yeast, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Silicon Dioxide, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Folic Acid, Cane Molasses, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Sesquicarbonate, Brewers Dried Yeast, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Monosodium Phosphate, Calcium Lignin Sulfonate, L-Lysine, DL-methionine, (Propionic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate (Preservatives)). (Free from Restricted Ruminant Protein Products per Title 21, CFR 589.2000)

Add me to the list of happy Progressive users. I've used the diet balancers, grass or alfalfa, for years, the Growth Formula for young horses including up to 2 year old show horses (actually, I've used it for mature horses that needed a little more weight or condition too. And many more of their products.

I've found when using the Progressive products our newly weaned foals don't tend to 'belly up' nearly as much as with previous feeds.

Charlotte

This starting ringing a bell--someone else mentioned that TC30 had molasses, and I didn't think it did because the NSC is very low. Here's the ingredient list:
I'm not too sure that they didn't change the formula in the last 3 years or so, and remove the molasses. I had print-outs from their website from like 3 years ago, and the TC Lite had molasses in the formula at that time, but it no longer does (I now just have the current list on file). I didn't print-out the TC-30 ingredient list then, so don't know about its ingredients.

Thanks for the link to check the suppliers--none are close enough to me to get it--so I'll stick with my TC30 plan... almost ready to start. The place I'll get it closes at 5:00, so I'll have to go Saturdays.
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the info, and Charlotte I'm looking for an electrolyte supplement for one of my mares who isn't a good drinker, so I will look into what they have available also!

I'm looking for something that everyone can eat, I just hate having multiple bags of feed, especially since the Minis get so little, a bag even for the 4 of them can last a long time! Did you have any trouble getting them to eat the ProAdd Ultimate?

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
Kim,

I feed all 21 of my horses Triple Crown Lite. It is less than 10% ESC+Starch so safe for Cushings and IR horses. Everyone does well on it along with Omega Horseshine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Judy, I used to feed the TC Lite, but found it to be too much feed for my easy keepers, and I was adding the 30% Supplement anyway for the pregnant/nursing mares because they needed higher protein.

I bought my pony mare a pair of Soft-Ride boots, and after wearing them for 24 hours her digital pulse is back to normal! The ground is so hard here and stomping flies was causing her to be sore. So I think I will stick with the TC 30% for a little longer and see how she does.

Thanks Judy, I used to feed the TC Lite, but found it to be too much feed for my easy keepers, and I was adding the 30% Supplement anyway for the pregnant/nursing mares because they needed higher protein.

I bought my pony mare a pair of Soft-Ride boots, and after wearing them for 24 hours her digital pulse is back to normal! The ground is so hard here and stomping flies was causing her to be sore. So I think I will stick with the TC 30% for a little longer and see how she does.
When I thought I was losing my Progressive dealer, I tried TC Lite, I too found it was too much for my easy keepers. Although... When I tried it about 3 years ago, the Lite still had molasses as an ingredient, and that may have been a problem for my one easy keeper that is also laminitic, she came up sore on TC Lite. Perhaps now with the new molasses-free formula, she would be fine, but... I'm very happy with Progressive, so as long as I can get it, that's what I'll feed to everyone.

I don't doubt that very hard ground would make a sensitive horse sore, so very glad to hear the soft rides are helping her.

Back