PROGRESS REPORT - Show Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWA

Reaction score
Hi There,

Some of you have been asking me to post a Progress Report of our girls in training with Roger & Dale. So here is an update with a few photos.
default_wub.png

First up is Bridgy, (GMR Barefoot Bridget)...

Ok, first I wanted to post a comparison photos of her of "Then & Now". Side by side, the left photo was taken the day she arrived here, this past September of 2007. The photo on the right was taken a couple weeks ago (April of 2008) at Roger & Dale's place, her trainers. I knew she was thin when we first got her, but aside from picking up her weight really well, I'm so thankful to see that even her muscle tone has improved. She's slowly but surely transforming into such a beautiful little swan. {{{MAJORHAPPYSIGHS}}}

BridgyThen-Now.jpg

I keep envisioning the old classic "My Fair Lady" movie in my head and heart with my little Bridgy as "Eliza Doolittle". She's not quite "there" just yet...but "BY GEORGE...SHE's ALMOST GOT IT", LOL! For now though, she's still a "work in progress", thanks to Roger & Dale.

Then, here's a picture of her with Roger while he's working on "posing" her for me to take photos of her. I just thought this was a sweet picture in itself, LOL.

Bridget4-12-2008.jpg

Then once she "struck a pose" (LOL) I started snapping away...so here is Bridgy, the whole whopping 27.5" of her. :))

Bridget4-12-2008a.jpg

Bridget4-12-2008b.jpg

Bridget4-12-2008c.jpg

Now, I can hardly wait to get her all clipped up and "show ready" for some REALLY NICE photos of her. I'm so excited!!! Her first show "was" going to be at Ocala, FL, earlier this month, but I didn't have all my ducks in a row in time for her to be able. So now her new chance for her to make her very first "Show Career Debut" is now set for the AMHR show in Okeechobee, FL on Saturday, May 17th. Whewboy, I'm so nervous for her, but SUPER EXCITED all at the same time, LOL!

For her first time at a show we're going to take her in "Halter Mare - 32" and Under" and also in Liberty. I am HOPING to get to video tape her first halter class and especially her first liberty class. She is SOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL to watch when she sets herself to strutting. She sure makes my heart go all pitter patter to watch her romp and play, LOL! I would LOVE to have a video to keep of her doing that in a ring and set to music that flows "with" her. {{{HAPPYSIGHS}}}

Ok, now for my sweet Desi-Lu, (Seminole's Frosted Desert Rose)...

First, a couple fun photos...well...EVERY photo of her is a FUN photo, to "me" anyways. :))

This first one is of when Dale was trying to set her up to pose for me to take some photos, and their Anatoleon Shephard came walking by. I was like, OH MY GOSH, that's a HUGE dog, LOL! I just had to get a pic of him, he's nearly as big as Desi and just as sweet, LOL!

Desi4-12-2008.jpg

This next one, Desi just did what I like to call a "swan neck reach", it just melted my heart with her looking so meek. She was revealing her true self in this pose, that's for sure! Also, I am still so amazed that after ALL these years, I've always just assumed she was a perfect little "B" size mare, and I was always HAPPY no matter her size. But, when Roger & Dale told me they measured her REAL HIGH at 34", and that she'd have no problem getting an "Official" measuring of WELL UNDER THAT even, I was just ECSTATIC!!!!

Desi4-12-2008d.jpg

She's never been "officially" measured in all her years, as her only show career was of her as a yearling still, when she took Grand Reserve Yearling Mare. Sadly, we've just never made it back to a show ring with her since then, as we've always just had other priorities with our horses over the years. But, I am thankful that we are now at a place in our lives where we can revisit our long old aspirations of a show career for her.

Regrettably, and much to my heart's dismay though, I'm slowly coming to grips with the news that her age and body type just are not what's winning in today's show ring, for Halter anyways. (Plus, she's still a bit of a "Miss Chunky Butt", LOL.) So that does break my heart for her that I didn't pursue that with her, back when she could have had a chance to really go for it. But, she's still an AWESOME PERFORMANCE mare, so we're going to give her a shot at "Country Pleasure Driving" and Liberty too. Also, "possibly" even take her in Hunter/Jumper classes. Dale says she has a very strong hip for jumping, so we'll see how she does I suppose.

Later on, I might even take her in Roadster...that's still a MAJOR soft spot for me with her (from her Racing Days, LOL)...but she'd have an upper hand in that, and it might not be fair to other folks to take a RINGER in on that class, LOL. (I know I'm being facetious,
default_unsure.png
I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.)
default_wink.png

To me though, she will always be a HALTER SUPREME, whether any show ring gives her that or not, LOL. She is our very first "mini" foal born under "us", and because of that, her truest beauty will never fail her in our eyes and especially in our hearts.

Desi4-12-2008a.jpg

Desi4-12-2008b.jpg

Desi4-12-2008c.jpg

Well, that's all for their progress in training, for now. We are going back this weekend though, so hoping for MORE PICS to share again soon. Plus, I'm hoping to spend the afternoon learning all the appropriate show ring ettiquette for driving in a Country Pleasure show class with my Desi. Her first show, she'll be shown by Roger & Dale, as I don't want to mess up any chance for her on her first time out, LOL. But, in future shows, I hope to make it into a ring WITH her. A day I have LONGED for, for SO MANY YEARS now! It's FINALLY HAPPENING!!!! YAYYYYYYY!!!!

Thanks so much for letting me share m'joy!
default_wub.png
Thanks so much too, to Roger & Dale! You guys are doing so WONDERFUL with both our girls, I cannot express just how much this means to us, to see them FINALLY have their chance at reaching for their stars. THANK YOU with all our hearts!

Warmest appreciations,

Tanya & Lee

(PS. Photos with Roger & Dale in them, are posted with their permission.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its so great to hear the excitement in your post!! The ladies look great! You will have so much fun showing them. Remember theres a lot more to a great horse then just halter! Cant wait for updates

Thanks so much Kay!
default_wub.png
I almost have to keep pinching myself, that's it's finally happening, where making it back into a show ring after all these years, is now just a couple more weeks away. The closer it gets, the more nervous and excited I get for them, LOL! I can hardly wait!

I agree too, a great horse is more than just pretty in a halter.
default_yes.gif
So whether they could ever cut the mustard in that area or not, they are both already AWESOME in our book.
default_aktion033.gif
default_wub.png

Nice pictures!!! I'll be looking for your sweethearts in Okeechobee.

Barbie

default_wink.png
Looking forward to seeing you there Barbie!
default_yes.gif

I've gotten a couple private emails inquiring about Desi and why it was felt that she might not be best suited for a Halter class.
default_wub.png
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH for seeing in her what I always have.
default_wub.png

However, I have learned a little bit more about her since her short time with her trainers, that I never realized before. Here is an exerpt of my post explaining a little what they they've taught me when I was responding to the same question on another mini horse group.

Her trainers were trying to point out to me though, to let me

know "easy" so I wouldn't build any false hope I guess. They do feel her head

is it bit too elongated, although still very pretty. It's just not "competive"

with today's contenders. They did say that 10 or maybe even as much as 5 years

ago, she would have held a very strong chance. But in "today's" show rings,

they are getting more and more competitive and her head would likely be her

faulter. Also, she is showing her age in her eyes lately too. She's only 12,

but she's a gray and her eyes are very revealing that her youth is fleeting as

far as "appearance" goes. Hitch her up to a race bike though, and she sure

springs to LIFE, LOL! That won't help her in a "beauty contest" at halter

though. Funny...I know what she must be feeling "there", LOL! I'm "looking" a

bit aged lately myself, LOL.

I am grateful that they could be honest with me, that's what I needed most of

all. Not a trainer to tell me what I "want" to hear, but what I probably

"needed" to hear, LOL. They didn't want me spending a fortune in trying to get

her ready for a competition that she most likely would not have that most needed

"competitive edge" to be able to follow to the top. We may still have our local

neighbor kids showing her in halter for fun and all, but, as far as pursuing any

"Show Titles" or anything, I guess her chance in time for that has passed her

by. I guess today's Breeders out there are getting GOOD and what they

produce...REALLY GOOD..and that's a good thing, LOL! So, in that regard, I'm

"ok" with it. Saddened for her that I didn't give her HER chance, when I could

have, but "ok" with it, and EXCITED that progress for the breed itself is

definately being made.

So far, I am definately learning from our trainers, and that was my whole goal for seeking professional guidance. I am most grateful for their frankness and HONESTY. A virtue so hard to find any more these days. I'm looking forward to this weekend's session time and hope to learn even more along with Desi & Bridgy.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

so glad your horses are doing well with dale and roger

they are wonderful- very honest and so sweet to the horses

i trust them and love them as family

they have taken wonderful care of my horses

and do a great job keeping me together at shows as well
default_rolleyes.gif

so glad your horses are doing well with dale and roger

they are wonderful- very honest and so sweet to the horses

i trust them and love them as family

they have taken wonderful care of my horses

and do a great job keeping me together at shows as well
default_rolleyes.gif
Hi Keely,

Yes, we have spoken lots of folks who've shown at same shows as they do, and also lots of folks in our local mini club, and literally 100% of all "reviews" to us of Dale & Roger are ALL very highly regarding of them.
default_yes.gif
I have great confidence they are in safe and well capable hands with them, and we are already impressed with their expertise in not just working with our girls, but also in their communications with "us". They have been VERY encouraging for "us" to become particpants under their wing as well, LOL! I can't wait for my lesson with them in Country Pleasure Driving this weekend!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back