Professional Opinions about Stiffle Lock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhorseladie

Reaction score
Most of you know my story with Shadow and his stifle lock. His mother started showing locking stifles at two after a rope injury. I assumed at the time, that it was the injury and didn't really know about the genetics part of locking stifles. She had four perfect babies, and now a fifth that has locking stifles. I know not to breed her again. She is going to a pet home very soon.

But the question is... Her daughter does not lock...yet, I am culling horses to make my farm a better place and people are calling right and left to buy. Do you think I can breed her without passing the gene or should I let her go while I have people wanting to buy?

Anyone with experience here? Any opinions? Ideas?

That is something completely up to you. With the related horse not actually locking (yet) you MIGHT be clear of any issues.

Personally I would weigh it overall. Is the sibling a very successful show horse, that has enough good qualities to weigh against being a carrier of a negative quality? If we are talking a very valuable animal, it may be worth the risk.

Good luck,

Andrea

I think locking stifle is somewhat genetic, but not totally. I know full siblings to my gelding are national champion driving horses and neither of his parents had it. But I think its more a conformation problem. The horse just got the raw end of the deal and his back legs ended up not forming properly.

Look at her conformation. If she has good stifle conformation, I would consider it. However, if she is weak in that area, even though she is not locking up I would pass on using her for breeding.

There are soooo many minis out there if she were mine, I would find her the home she deserved. I would be completely honest with the potential buyers. Tell them about the mare, and your origonal thoughts of it being an injury not genetic, tell them about the other offspring that are and aren't problem free. Let them choose, but you will have a clear concious.

Honesty goes a long way, and a bad word or mouth travels ten times quicker than a good one!

Carolyn

Latest posts

Back