Pricing for AMHR only or AMHA only versus AMHA/AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9mini2

Reaction score
Lets assume you have two equal colts to sell the only difference is one is double registered AMHA/AMHR the other is AMHR only or AMHA only. How much difference in price would you allow if say you priced the double registered one for $2000? would you price the 2nd one who was AMHR for $1500? Also if the 2nd colt was only AMHA would you price him also at $1500? Again these are not real, just numbers I picked.

I know there is no such thing as equal there is always some differences. I am just not sure how to price a couple of colts I have. The market has definitely changed in the last year or two I feel. I thought maybe hearing from some of you would help.

Thanks
default_smile.png

At this point, I just wouldn't even consider buying an AMHR only colt unless he was a show gelding prospect. For a breeding animal at this time, I only want double registered. I will buy an AMHA only horse because it's easy to hardship those into AMHR and then have both registrations.

If the horses were truly equal, I think the value difference between only AMHR and AMHA & AMHR would be half as much, or even less. So if it's a $2,000 horse with both registrations, it may be a $750-$1,000 horse with only the R papers.

Note, I would consider an AMHR/ASPC horse much more valuable than an AMHR only horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jill all the way down the line. Double registried is what people want now days, so they have the option of going either way.
default_wub.png

And only because an "A" horse can be hardshipped into "R" so much easier I will most of the time lean that way. We have over 100 horses and all of them are double registered with the exception of three or four in the entire herd. Sp you can see we beleive in it or we would not have spent the money to make it so.
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png

good luck with your colts,

I will differ a bit and say it depends on your area and plain and simple your buyer. Some buyers have no desire whatsoever for an AMHA horse *or an AMHR horse* and will not pay any more for it period. I would not undercut the price of a truly quality colt simply do to the fact it is single registered.

It the horse is true quality the buyer will choose to double register and pay the $ for it or to discuss the $$ with you during the negotiations.

In this area you are likely to get as much for an AMHR only horse as you are for AMHA only or even AMHR/AMHA horse. It all depends on the area; Alberta, for instance, is predominantly AMHA and therefore an AMHR horse isn't likely to sell well at all in comparison to AMHA, but here in Manitoba that isn't the case.

There are buyers, like me, who want only AMHR.

In this area you are likely to get as much for an AMHR only horse as you are for AMHA only or even AMHR/AMHA horse. It all depends on the area; Alberta, for instance, is predominantly AMHA and therefore an AMHR horse isn't likely to sell well at all in comparison to AMHA, but here in Manitoba that isn't the case.
There are buyers, like me, who want only AMHR.

It's the same way way here; Next to NO AMHA shows but plenty of AMHR shows, and many of those showing like the "B" size horses so AMHR-only horses sell very well.

I believe in Southwestern Ontario that AMHR horses are usually less money than AMHA horses.

That being said I know that many "mini people" around here also are only going with "R" horses and also a lot are getting into the Shetlands.

Personally, I want "A" papers for sure and double registered is preferred, however I will add the "R" papers to an "A" only horse.

I seldom even mess with the AMHA papers as it hasn't made any difference in my selling. I have sold AMHR/AMHA for less than some AMHR only because the people buying can show AMHR easier and want a bigger horse or what they see. For me, it really depends more on the horse than the registry.

Angie

I agree it can depend on your area and on your buyer. Speaking as a buyer, I want double registered. I will NOT buy an R only horse as a breeding animal because of the cost of hardshipping into AMHA. I will consider AMHA only horses if I feel they are priced low enough to pay the $200-$400 extra to get them registered with AMHR.

I seldom even mess with the AMHA papers as it hasn't made any difference in my selling. I have sold AMHR/AMHA for less than some AMHR only because the people buying can show AMHR easier and want a bigger horse or what they see. For me, it really depends more on the horse than the registry.
Angie
You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm the same way. I especially agree with your last statement.
default_laugh.png

Of course the physical horse is what matters the most.

The question was if the colts are of equal quality...

It depends on the horse and the buyer, there's plenty out there that want only one registry, plenty out there that want dual, and plenty out there who simply don't care, the key is in marketing.. Like I said in my pm to you, I just sold one of our 2008 weanling colts, AMHR only for more than some of those on this post think an AMHR only is worth to a gal who is big in horses and yes she does plan on showing him.. So far we've raised strictly AMHR only foals and have never had a problem selling them and have gotten much better prices for ours than what some people here will "quote you" on a single registry horse.. We are getting into the dual registered simply because there's plenty on the market to choose from and the height range we want to focus on allows us to

Last time I checked a piece of paper wasn't what made a horse "quality"
default_rolleyes.gif

It does depend on the horse.

I usually want AMHA/AMHR reg. But I recently bought a yearling colt that is only AMHA. I searched long enough, and I like this colt enough that I will hardship him into AMHR. (as soon as i get him home, and get him transfered in my name)
default_smile.png

WE started out with All AMHA horses-- then registered them all with AMHR -- now there are no AMHA shows here in Ontario & we no longer show AMHA so we no longer double register our foals with AMHA-- if a person wants AMHA & they are off double registered parents , they can do DNA & register them AMHA if they want too.

I would no longer buy an AMHA only horse as it costs too much extra to bring it to AMHR.

We have started with Shetlands so now if I want a horse double registered it will be ASPC/AMHR that I will look for.

That is how our breeding program is going.

It really does depend on your area - local/regional or national market as to the pricing. In California until recently AMHR was the 'red headed stepchild' of AMHA, and people wouldn't consider buying AMHR only. That has been changing.

Personally if they were equal I would buy the double registered. It isn't that much in all honestly to hardship a quality horse, but it's just an additional hassle that I would try to avoid.

What I have done with horses that are A or R only and someone is interested in hardshipping them horse - I have cut the price to reflect that option for that buyer. Some do follow through, some don't. Generally though I double register all horses as it just gives a larger market to sell to.

Keep in mind too that your geographic area is not your only market. To find horses I wanted to purchase, I have bought from Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Maine, and probably a couple other places not at the top of my mind. I window shop all over the United States (and sometimes Canada). I am only going to consider horses who are double registered / registrable. I wish I could have found all the members of my herd within driving distance, but that's just not going to be the reality for most people with a plan and goals to show / breed show quality. So keep in mind that if only AMHR (actually my favorite registry) or only AMHA are what's happening in YOUR area, it may be a different story for your potential customers. Double registered stock only increases your marketability.

Jill,

I agree with you completely, we show both R and A. Additionally we have shipped horses to 11 states so far this year and have another pending after the huricane passes.
default_smile.png

By double registry and we are also going to add PTHA this next year as third option, you only broaden the potencial for sales.
default_wink.png

At least that is what works for us anyway.
default_saludando.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_yes.gif

Good thread,

I am like Jill, Michelle, JWC sr. and a few others...... Where I have showing in mind and want to produce show quality horses and show both A & R, except I have A more in mind and is my favorite..... And ALLLLLLLL my horses have come from out of state and NOT all the close from ID to NC to WI to TX, just all over! But the buyers too have really ranged from just a A buyer, who was from over seas where R is not recoginzed yet. To one that was going over his A papers and was double registered and they only showed Pinto and he went to NY.

So I think it is REALLY important to have them both or at least A registered because it is much cheaper to hardship them into AMHR. I still have 3 mares that are A only and plan to hardship them into AMHR this fall.

Thanks everyone for the input, it has been Very Very helpful.
default_saludando.gif

That is one thing I like about this site, each person has different perspective that definitely gives food for thought and gives all the angles.
default_smile.png

I'm sure someone has mentioned this but didn't read the entire thread. AMHA is closing their books in the next 5 years. That means this years foal crop is the last foal crop that can be hardshipped into AMHA.

I have always like AMHR better then AMHA, but thats just my opinion, not everyone elses. Also we have more AMHR shows in this area then AMHA, other people its the opposite. So honestly you are going to have to find what the general public in your area likes. However, it is much easier to cover all bases and breed for AMHA/AMHR horses. I was only breeding for AMHR, but I would like to start breeding for AMHA/AMHR horses now. I think it does make them more valuable, and honestly I think now the AMHA only horse is more valuable because you can always hardship that horse into AMHR.

Latest posts

Back