Price of feed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
First of all I must admit that I have procrastinated way too long on buying hay for the winter. I had someone who was supposed to let me know when the hay was ready and they have never called. I'm afraid they won't. Got someone else looking for me, but haven't found any yet. I have a tiny bit left from last year, but am feeding just a little already and must get more before long.

I stopped in at a different feed store today because I heard they have some really good coastal bermuda hay in square bales. They do, for $6.oo a bale!
new_shocked.gif
At the same store they are advertising Acco brand (I think I spelled that right) horse pellets, 14% for $4.49 per bag. I have never used this brand and didn't buy any (they said they were out of stock and would get some in Monday).

I have been feeding Bluebonnet Brand (from Tractor Supply Co.) 12% pellets and paying $5.85 per bag. To me it is just unimaginable for hay to be higher than grain.
wacko.gif

Feed here in eastern mass is -

12% pelleted grain from Agway $9.49 a 50 lb bag, square bale of grass hay (clean, green and leafy) $6.25 bale.

I have the first portion of my winter hay being delivered tomorrow- 80 bales. I'll get another load of 40 or so in Oct. I get mine from a local farmer.

Tammie

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I haven't a clue as to the commercial cost of hay, we grow our own. Although, I do believe the going rate is around $80/ton for squares, and a little less for the big round. Don't even know if anyone sells it priced per bale.

I buy senior feed at $9.75/bag, 12% grain mix at $8.00/bag, COB is $7.75/bag from one feed store and when I need it Nutrena youth at $12.00/bag at the other feed store. The local elevator does bag up there own grain mix for horses, but I don't care for it, too much chaff and dust in the mix, not to mention dried up grasshoppers.
thumbdown.gif

[SIZE=14pt]We pay 9.50 a 50 pound bag of 12% Sr complete feed and we feed only that to our non show horses. we pay 9.50 a bag for the equitec 10/10 for the show horses and 14 dollars a bag for the alfalfa forrage or cubes. I dont feed hay at all.[/SIZE]

Lyn

How much do you feed when you use alfalfa forrage or cubes? and how big is the bag for $14?

If I by alfalfa from the farmer I get it for 4.50/bale if I buy it from the feed store it is 6.50/bale. This is in New Mexico. Can't wait to buy a field to grow my own. As for grain I don't feed it at the moment.

I am buying Blue Seal 50 lb. 14% pellets for $8.40 a bag and paid $$3.75 a 50 lb. bale of good hay delivered and stacked, not alfalfa as I don't feed alfalfa to my minis.

I last paid $3.50/bale for an Alfalfa/Orchard Grass mix, bought 75 bales and will be going back next month to buy more than that before the winter hay prices show up. I was fore warned to expect $5-$6/bale starting in late Sep-October. My bales are only about 35-40lbs.

I still pay more for my grain, I think it's somewhere around 8 or 9 dollars a 50lb bag. I use horsemans edge 12% grain.

Finding hay out here WITHOUT fescue, or finding someone who actually KNOWS what is in there hay seems a little difficult.....based on my own experiences of calling around. I didn't think i would find any hay, but I did, thank goodness.

Lets just be glad we arent paying California hay prices, I hope i never have to pay that much per bale again, although they were much much larger bales.

WOW, I wish I could find feed that reasonable. I feed triple crown and pay $18.00 a bag. $ 8.00 a bag for 50lb alfalfa pellet. And I recieve both of these at these discounted prices becuase of the amount of feed I buy.

I'm in Arizona in the heart of Phoenix. I pay $15 for a 3 wire bale of Timothy, when I can get it. Any of the Omelene grains run $12.99 for a 50lb. bag. A place across the street from where I get the grain sells it for $14.99
new_shocked.gif

Robin

[SIZE=14pt]The bag of forrage or cubes is 50 pounds and one bag lasts me a week for 10 minis. plus maybe a day more if im careful.[/SIZE]

We're paying about $13.50 / 50# bags of Blue Seal Vintgage Senior and Purina Equine Senior. Our horses get the Blue Seal Vintage Senior for breakfast and for dinner, some hay and some Purina Equine Senior. In the past, we've fed hay cubes which we've gotten for about $11/bag. We pay $4/bail for hay... I don't know if we will be able to continue to feed hay, or as much hay, through the winter. We've always had trouble finding consistently "good enough" hay for the horses, which is why we're using complete feeds and have used hay cubes more often than hay in the past. They thing I like about the cubes and pellets is it's highly nutricious and much more consistent quality than hay (which HAS to be soft for my horses). What I like about adding hay to the "mix" is that it takes them longer to eat and is kind of like a social activity to the horses.

new_shocked.gif
Wish my feed could be had for that! I pay $10.44 per bale for good clean Eastern WA orchard grass and that is with the discount for an over 20 bale order. We usally bring in at least 2 tons to get through until the next decent cutting. I can get local hay for $6.00 a bale but it's really stemmy and weedy so it's not worth the health problems that could come out of feeding it.

I like to keep my feeding program simple but efficient so I feed LMF (G) as a supplement at $18.95 per 50 lbs. The minis need a 1/4 lb and the big horse gets 1 lb. daily so a bag lasts a month for them all.

Here it depends where you buy the pelleted feed; Co-op 12% complete feed pellets are $5 for a 55 lb bag. Masterfeeds 12% complete is $12.95 for a 55 lb bag. Not sure what Feed Rite or Nutrena charge--I never buy them.

Alfalfa cubes are $10.25 for 55 lb bag; alfalfa/timothy cubes are $9.75 for 55 lbs.

Hay is cheaper. We've been paying $3.20/bale delivered for good 2nd cut alfalfa; will be getting grass (brome) bales for $3.00 delivered. I picked up some nice grass bales yesterday for $2.00 a bale, but those are in limited supply--will be buying the same hay in round bales for $30 (approx. 1000 lb bales).

About a month ago a fellow delivered some crested wheat bales. If it's baled at the right time it's nice hay, but this was cut much too late, and the hay is dried out & overripe--the horses would be better off eating straw. That was $2.85/bale. RIPOFF.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about 2 wire bales of hay, approximately 60-65 lbs. each. Grain/pellets come in 50 lb. bags here.

Last year I bought hay for $2.50 per bale. It was not the best hay and I hoped to get something better this year and expected to pay $3.oo - $3.50 per bale. Not $6.oo. I may be checking into feeding some alfalfa cubes. I haven't checked the price of them yet.

Well I live in Central NM and you can't get local grass that doesn't have fescue in it.

So we had Bermuda trucked in from Texas for $6.75 a bale, that's cheap to me.

The feed stores bring in Bermuda, Timothy, sometimes Orchard, it's going for $12 to $18 a bale right now
ohmy.gif

Alfalfa on the other hand is easy to find here. I get dairy quality 18/20% second cutting, clean clean clean for $5 a bale and the bales weigh at least 75 pounds.

As for grain I feed XTN ($16 a bag), and oats ($9 a bag).

The hay we buy is from $175 to $195 a ton, unless we drive to Wyoming and bring back a load from there, which is only about half the cost (but not usually near as good hay) and you have to consider fuel costs of going there and back.

Alfalfa cubes are $7.50 for a 50 pound bag, and Purina grains are from $11.50 to $14 a 50 pound bag.

I prefer to buy the best feed possible, even though it's more expensive; my horses are worth it.
wub.gif

Latest posts

Back