Pretty sure he's a dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed your age OP, most definitely kudos to you on your research. It takes a certain kind of person to realize that something doesn't look right and actually an open enough mind to research it and accept the findings.
Thank you! Yeah I'm not even 15 yet, but I'm pretty much an animal freak and have the beginning classes of becoming a zoologist (only aspirations, we'll see! lol). I also have some expirience in dog showing/obedience so I try to understand everything I can abou something to get the most out of it!

Achondroplasic, but not badly affected. It is (or was before the American invasion!
default_whistling.gif
) the commonest form of dwarfism in the UK but I would not say it is the "mildest" form- maybe because I have seen a lot of severe Achondroplasics and not that many Brachiocephalics (yet) I feel this way but I think this boy, complete with his "ballet position " front and rear has a pretty good life ahead. I would consult with a remedial farrier, but I do not think there will be much, if anything, you can do about his legs as they are a basic conformational fault, born with them and I would think has to live with the, The Magic Shoes work wonders if the hoof turns over or under, but I am not sure they will help in this case as his feet look to be in pretty good shape...

Welcome to the Forum, where the only criteria is that the horse is loved, not what it looks like!
Thank you! And yes, I'm going to consult my fairrier and vet this upcoming week because I'm thinking you're right :/ I am just looking for anything I can do for the little guy, which ultimately may end up just being regular farrier trims. But we'll see, I'll keep everyone updated and thanks for the insight!

He doesn't look like a dwarf to me. he looks like someones breeding experiement gone wrong. By breeding a much larger, maybe pony to a much smaller mini could result in this bad combination.

I would try to make sure he never gets over weight. Those short legs are already having a hard time holding up his large frame. He should live a long and healthy life though. Dwarves have genetic defects and this looks like a man made problem.

I just wanted to add; dachsounds and basset hounds are not dwarves. They are man made.

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't look like a dwarf to me. he looks like someones breeding experiement gone wrong. By breeding a much larger, maybe pony to a much smaller mini could result in this bad combination.

I would try to make sure he never gets over weight. Those short legs are already having a hard time holding up his large frame. He should live a long and healthy life though. Dwarves have genetic defects and this looks like a man made problem.

I just wanted to add; dachsounds and basset hounds are not dwarves. They are man made.
This is very true, thanks! Not only are we monitering his weight but he's also going on a maintenance joint supplement for young horses, just in case because we felt some heat near his cannon bone
default_smile.png

Just want to add here that he is a pretty classic example of an achondroplasia dwarf. I hope those who don't think he's one look up the type
default_smile.png
It is characterized by short legs (they do not grow) but because the fibula remains normal sized, it causes very crooked back legs and usually a small rump. The body, neck, and head remain normal sized, which gives the "weiner dog" effect (but they'll have tiny ears). It is usually this type that people are referring to when they say "minimal dwarf" as they are often fairly minimally effected compared to the other types.

YES, EXACTLY what Amanada says, and also to add that a tell-tale sign of this type of dwarf is not only that the legs remain very short, but the upper limbs, from knee to shoulder and hock to him are very much shortened. Look at the legs from the knewe down. The upper limb should also be that length, and it is clear to see that the upper limbs are much shorter. Please read up on the information available out there, and a good starting point is the detailed information on the Dwarf forum here on LB.

He doesn't look like a dwarf to me. he looks like someones breeding experiment gone wrong. By breeding a much larger, maybe pony to a much smaller mini could result in this bad combination.

Actually Bassets, Dachshunds, Corgis, JRT's etc and all the chronically short legged dogs do have a specific dwarf genetic- the Achondroplasic dwarf syndrome- it was deliberately bred (in some cases) into the breed in order to get the really short legs (If you look at hunting Bassets for example, you will see they do not have the chronically short legs) and is confined to affecting the legs alone.

I think some people are not familiar with achondroplasic dwarfs- here is a link to a picture of one....

https://encrypted-tb...5ak7ty41R-Eu6kw

But it is still dwarfism.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are two other Achondrolpasia dwarves from our own breeding program (We don't breed anymore for obvious reasons)

Wendall; this colt was our most severe Achondroplasia dwarf due to the degree of rotation of his front legs. It was heartbreaking to see this colt because we had waited three years for a foal out of his dam and out came a deformed foal. He would have been a looker too. He passed away on his own accord after about two days.

Notice his short ears, short upper legs, short neck, and etc.

gallery_35574_243_105261.jpg

Trae; this colt is not as severe. His legs were twisted as well but not to the extent of Wendall's. He was mobile and LOVED to run with the other foals. We put him down as a yearling.

Notice his short neck, twisted legs, wide hind legs, short ears, and etc.

gallery_35574_243_110225.jpg

Another thing about Achondroplasia dwarves is that they have perfect to near-perfect bites. Both of these colts had perfect bites.

Just wanted to show more extreme cases of Achondroplasia dwarves.

Latest posts

Back