Pregnant Rescue Mare????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck sounds like it wont be long now . From the pics , I reckon her udder will fill a little more.

Ill try and check in over the weekend ( crappy internet at home) If she does foal, all the best for a safe foaling !!!

Ryan :)

BB6C76EF-6060-49B9-8663-CFF73B52F324.jpeg 7BC52BC4-B0E7-44B9-978A-7AFD499D205D.jpeg 5F5F8494-8A85-43E3-88ED-F5EA167F776A.jpeg Noooooo! Im exhausted! I found out from the kill pen I rescued them from that the only reason the ad for them said “may br Pregnant” was because the mares were running with a stud for about two weeks prior to getting her. I got her on April 21st 2018. So I guess There is no way to tell when, just wait. If she goes 365 days we have till April 21st. That would be the very maximum though I dont believe she will go that long as she is bagging up more and more. When the baby kicks her whole body shakes! Its halarious.

Your definitely getting close. :)

Watch for plenty of butt rubbing and rolling. It could only take a good couple of rolls to line baby up for delivery. looking at her udder I reckon it will fill a little more.

Your on serious foal watch now :)

Shes such a pretty mare , I really hope having this foal will regain her trust in people. Once she sees her little one interact with you, she may realize how lucky she is to find you and that not all humans are bad.

Good luck !!

Your definitely getting close. :)

Watch for plenty of butt rubbing and rolling. It could only take a good couple of rolls to line baby up for delivery. looking at her udder I reckon it will fill a little more.

Your on serious foal watch now :)

Shes such a pretty mare , I really hope having this foal will regain her trust in people. Once she sees her little one interact with you, she may realize how lucky she is to find you and that not all humans are bad.

Good luck !!

Ahhh! Butt rubbing, I have been seeing her do this! i wondered about that! She backs up to the fence and rubs so hard i thought she would rip out tail hair lol.

She is pretty, excited to see what her foal will look like.
Yesterday she took a treat from my hand (quickly) but she did it for the first time. Ive been sitting on the ground with her feed pail in front of me lol. She creeps over, sometimes takes 30 minutes but as long as I dont reach out she has been comingvto eat about 12” from me. I’m hoping the same thing with the foal. I so wantbto ripbthat halter off! I hate tgat its on her and it's too small and confining. Cant wait to take it off but I dont want to break her trust right now.

I was wondering, Im feeding her pony feed by purina and chopped alfalfa/timothy hay by standlee. I’m pretty sure this is suitable for her yes?

Alfalfa is great as its high in protein and good for lactating mares.

So good about the treat :) letting her come to you is the best way to gain trust. Your not invading her space, rather shes feeling more comfortable entering yours.

Keep us posted !

We have a filly! Water broke at 11pm birthed at 11:10! it was so fast and perfect! i went out to check on her and her water broke in front of me! God was watching over her, I had to break the membrane and remove it but baby got a full 10 minutes lying with mom in part of the placenta before mom got up and broke the cord. I tried to let nature do as much as possible and only did as much as really needed. I let mama clean her but also gently toweled her off while lying there and helper her to get on her sternum so she could clear her lungs better. Toweled her off several times after they got up because the temps dropped to 36 degrees last night then just stood back so they could bond. She passed meconium at 2 am and 3 am. Then I went in and showered and slept lol! My husband has been away on business so I was alone and has been very stressful. Both are doing great this morning, she is taking short gulps of mama juice, Sunshine is just flowing with milk. Mama is staying right beside her and they are cuddling, snickering at each other just like they should. Thank you all for your help and support through this, I don't know what I would have done without y'all! 2019-03-21_23-04-45-0500.jpg 2019-03-21_23-06-10-0500.jpg 57492057574__9A7F23B9-2740-41FC-995D-C0AC35BF9C68.JPG

Attachments

• 2019-03-21_23-27-26-0500.jpg
    2019-03-21_23-27-26-0500.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 57492080580__86F37F9A-E944-442D-8AE0-D09E67ED8747.JPG
    57492080580__86F37F9A-E944-442D-8AE0-D09E67ED8747.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 2019-03-21_23-32-35-0500.jpg
    2019-03-21_23-32-35-0500.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019-03-22_07-41-45-0500.jpg
    2019-03-22_07-41-45-0500.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2019-03-22_07-42-14-0500.jpg
    2019-03-22_07-42-14-0500.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2019-03-22_08-03-09-0500.jpg
    2019-03-22_08-03-09-0500.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019-03-22_08-05-06-0500.jpg
    2019-03-22_08-05-06-0500.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 11
We have a filly! Water broke at 11pm birthed at 11:10! it was so fast and perfect! i went out to check on her and her water broke in front of me! God was watching over her, I had to break the membrane and remove it but baby got a full 10 minutes lying with mom in part of the placenta before mom got up and broke the cord. I tried to let nature do as much as possible and only did as much as really needed. I let mama clean her but also gently toweled her off while lying there and helper her to get on her sternum so she could clear her lungs better. Toweled her off several times after they got up because the temps dropped to 36 degrees last night then just stood back so they could bond. She passed meconium at 2 am and 3 am. Then I went in and showered and slept lol! My husband has been away on business so I was alone and has been very stressful. Both are doing great this morning, she is taking short gulps of mama juice, Sunshine is just flowing with milk. Mama is staying right beside her and they are cuddling, snickering at each other just like they should. Thank you all for your help and support through this, I don't know what I would have done without y'all! View attachment 39843 View attachment 39844 View attachment 39847

Congratulations and thank you for sharing!!!
Marco :)

Update! Yesterday morning the foal fell sick. Her Respirations were over 100 at rest, flaring nostrals and posturing. She would not lay down because she was having a hard time breathing, so I called the vet immediately. They came out and said she had a infection in her lungs starting so IMG_1651.jpg IMG_1652.jpg put her on antibiotics and steroids. I asked them to do an IgG test for antibodies since Sunshine had been leaking milk for 24 hours. They did and later that day the results came back that she completely failed which meant she got no antibodies. They did not have the plasma so I took her this morning 3 hours away and had a transfusion. She is doing better today, breathing has normalized and she will lay down to sleep now. Ohhh mama was so upset! This is this afternoon when I got her back. Pray that the antibodies take for her so she will get healthy and stay healthy please!

Update! Yesterday morning the foal fell sick. Her Respirations were over 100 at rest, flaring nostrals and posturing. She would not lay down because she was having a hard time breathing, so I called the vet immediately. They came out and said she had a infection in her lungs starting so View attachment 39866 View attachment 39867 put her on antibiotics and steroids. I asked them to do an IgG test for antibodies since Sunshine had been leaking milk for 24 hours. They did and later that day the results came back that she completely failed which meant she got no antibodies. They did not have the plasma so I took her this morning 3 hours away and had a transfusion. She is doing better today, breathing has normalized and she will lay down to sleep now. Ohhh mama was so upset! This is this afternoon when I got her back. Pray that the antibodies take for her so she will get healthy and stay healthy please!
She is so beautiful! Makes me sad still about our loss but my mare is back to acting normal. I plan to breed her again. I will pray for yours!
*Question: my mare has not gone into heat since delivery. I check her frequently. It's been 25 days. Is this unusual?

She is so beautiful! Makes me sad still about our loss but my mare is back to acting normal. I plan to breed her again. I will pray for yours!
*Question: my mare has not gone into heat since delivery. I check her frequently. It's been 25 days. Is this unusual?
Thank you,
Mama is overprotective now, wont let ys near the foal without a scary difficult reaction from her. Must give antibiotics 2 more days. I hope she doesnt escalate.

Im new to this also, so I dont know the answer to that question.

Thank you,
Mama is overprotective now, wont let ys near the foal without a scary difficult reaction from her. Must give antibiotics 2 more days. I hope she doesnt escalate.

Lots of patience and watch your back with a really protective mom. I had one last year, I bought her the previous fall bred, thought I made great headway with her and that she trusted me, until she foaled, she knocked me over twice in the first 24 hours. We had a small come to jesus moment, and came to an understanding that I WOULD be checking her baby and putting blankets on the baby (it was dang cold), dipping the navel, doing the necessities and that she would respect me, and that I would leave them be for much of the day for that first week or so. She was much better after those first few days, but I still had to watch her.

Lots of patience and watch your back with a really protective mom. I had one last year, I bought her the previous fall bred, thought I made great headway with her and that she trusted me, until she foaled, she knocked me over twice in the first 24 hours. We had a small come to jesus moment, and came to an understanding that I WOULD be checking her baby and putting blankets on the baby (it was dang cold), dipping the navel, doing the necessities and that she would respect me, and that I would leave them be for much of the day for that first week or so. She was much better after those first few days, but I still had to watch her.
Please, what didvyou do to command her respect, ie Come to Jeses moment?

Latest posts

Back