Pregnant Rescue Mare????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the arrival of your filly. Good on you for getting onto the vet so quickly. Some mares will become dragons after foaling and being over protective comes with it. If you could get a headstall on the mare , you could interact with the foal. But as thats not going to work, would putting some feed in the mares bucket distract her whilst you attend to the foal. ?

Ive taken a bucket in with me cause I knew some of the older TB mares would kick out. And if they were going to kick something , id put the bucket out so they could make contact with that.

Apart from what you have to do with the foal, try an let them be. Hopefully your mare will calm down a little over the next few days.

Please, what didvyou do to command her respect, ie Come to Jeses moment?
Mostly growly noises at her, and on days she was particularly protective, I caught her and tied her, so I could safely work with baby. Never laid a hand on her, other than to perhaps push her out of my space. She was just doing what good moms do, but couldn't allow her to bump me like she did those first couple times. To be honest, I don't remember exactly what I did, as it was a year ago, and it was instinctual; never turned my back on her, that's for certain.

Latest posts

Back