Pregnant or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We udder sometimes seems to shrink a little bit. For you and your experience how much time before she delivers?

Perfectly normal , when a mare is exercising more during the day the udder will shrink , when she is not as active during the night it will fill more. This usually goes on ( as chanda put it "driving mare watchers nuts" ). When it stays full during the day this is when you know she is starting to get close.

She is progressing wonderfully , its just a waiting game now but will all be worth it soon enough
default_smile.png

Hope this helps
default_smile.png

I started camping out with all the family near the barn! Yesterday I saw some movements and a few kicks on her belly! It's the first time! So exciting!

I've just returned from work and saw the vein in from of the udder very big and hard. Is it normal?

image.jpg

A lot of heavily pregnant mares get this, its called edema. What most vets will tell you to do is to take your mare for a walk to see if it will help it subside. It stems from the mare not being as active during the late stages of pregnancy and thus retaining fluid.

Hopefully Diane will be on at some stage today and can add to this or correct me if im wrong
default_smile.png

don't think you will have much longer to wait and want to wish you a safe delivery
default_smile.png

Not to worry. There's lots of pressure going on. If you look back at some of the other pictures, you can see she's had several strong veins showing slight bulges as this baby grows and moves around.

She should be just fine, but just watch to see if it causes her any serious discomfort. A bit of exercise is certainly good for her. Make sure she has lots of free time to wander around outside. You can even place hay in different spots around her area to make her walk from place to place during the day. And a nice quiet walk with you after work, will ensure she's getting some sensible exercise during these final stages.

She's looking very good!!

Thank you very much! Usually she stays about 8 hours walking and eating in the pasture. I will try to get her to walk with me. She has only one vein like his, the Other is smaller. Here is really hot and i'm a little bit afraid to make her tired and too hot. In 2 days the weather will change and some fresh air is coming!!

Back