Pregnant or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KITTY83

Reaction score
Hi, in January I've got my first miniature horse. She's 10 years old. After I got her I saw her belly growing. My vet said for him she is pregnant but only an ultrasound can confirm this. I have some pictures of her bags and belly. Can you help me? thank you

IMG_4911.JPG

Welcome to our Nutty Nursery.

Only 1 picture is showing, so hoping you can take a couple more and post for us. Try taking one full side shot and squat right down at her level, and then take one from the back looking forward to her head, again squatting down right at her level. This will help give us an idea.

Looking forward to more pictures, and again, WELCOME! We're here to help you and answer any questions we can. Nothing is to silly to ask, as we are here to get all these precious little ones safely to the ground!

~~Diane

these pictures are from today, I don't know how to reply and attache the image directly. Thank you

Now I know how to attache the pictures

here is my mare on March 21

IMG_4390.JPG

Most mares take roughly 4-6 weeks to bag up. With that last picture, I would say you are in the home stretch. I would guess 4-6 weeks, but the more experienced breeders will give you a better idea.

I'm going to say you may have a June baby -- depending on if she will "work" with us. She looks good, looks like she's starting to loosen and elongate some, so take some pictures in about 2-3 days, and we'll be able to see how "fast" she is moving forward!

CONGRATULATIONS - and we're so happy you have joined us, and will let us follow her as she gets ready to present you with a precious little one!

Welcome to the forum
default_smile.png

Lovely mare you have , looking forward to seeing what she is hiding in there
default_smile.png

Thank you very much! I will post every 2-3 days to see if there are changes. I hope she's pregnant and I'm looking foward to seeing who's hiding in there!

I think it's safe to say "pregnant".....the angles are a bit different, but ongoing changes.

Udder.pdf

Attachments

• Udder.pdf
    120.6 KB · Views: 114
Today was a little bit nervous, always walking and kicking her belly. Does the udder have to be big and full to go into labor? I hope she doesn't have the baby when I will be away from home even if she will be in a safe place with someone who stays with her 24 hours a day. I want to be here when she delivers

Do you know her history? If she's had a foal before, she should bag up prior. Have you tried feeling for the foal movement or kicking?

It's best to do when the mare is eating or drinking.

Some of these ladies go into labor with no bag, and it comes with the delivery. Not to worry, even if she foaled without a bag, and didn't develop a bag, the vet can give her a shot to bring in her milk. I can't think of but one time when anyone had to actually do that, but it does happen. Usually, if you think she's very close, and there still isn't much udder development, you can call the vet and let them know that you have a mare near foaling with little or no udder, and you are "advising" them your mare may need a shot for milk production. Sometimes just telling them gives us peace of mind -- and then momma foals and develops a perfect udder with plenty of milk for the little one.

Not to worry!

Here are the pictures from today. I don't know her history, also the guy who gave her to me didn't know anything. Never felt any movement but she hates me touching her belly and udder.

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

Looks like she's coming along nicely, just like mine.

Mine (LP Painted Ponys - 2015) were all exposed during a 2 hour period when the mares violently disassembled the stud colts' pen and they quite enjoyed themselves! One foaled on Friday @ 328 days (foaled at 333 in 2013), one is coming along at 330 days today (pics posted from yesterday - she foaled at 345 days in 2013). I believe I have another one (out of 7) that is coming along as well - belly has gone "POOF" and is now developing an udder. While she's had quite a few foals and I also own one of her daughters, I have no history on her as to whether or not she carries roughly the same time or not...

Little late to the party, but very excited. Can't wait to see her baby
default_smile.png
. Hopefully she doesn't give you too much anxiety lol.

Latest posts

Back