Pregnant or not? SOS

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karadoskocil

Reaction score
Hello, I am new. I had many people check a rescue mini who was supposed to be a gelding. From vets to PRCA cowboys. Well, guess what, he had balls that dropped! The mini was castrated on April 22nd. My lil mare mini seems to be pregnant. We can't get a decent vet out here during coronavirus to save our lives, so I'm on my own. If she is bred, then she would have been bred before April 20, 2019. Here are some pics. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I cannot lose this sweet mini. Please help this Texas Teacher

Attachments

• 20200328_104950.jpg
    20200328_104950.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200326_170428.jpg
    20200326_170428.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 11
Hello, I am new. I had many people check a rescue mini who was supposed to be a gelding. From vets to PRCA cowboys. Well, guess what, he had balls that dropped! The mini was castrated on April 22nd. My lil mare mini seems to be pregnant. We can't get a decent vet out here during coronavirus to save our lives, so I'm on my own. If she is bred, then she would have been bred before April 20, 2019. Here are some pics. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I cannot lose this sweet mini. Please help this Texas Teacher

It could be but it is hard to tell for sure. Is the mare a maiden? Can you get pictures from behind her at her level? She would be very close to foaling now. Have you tried feeling movement?

Can you try and grab a picture from down at her level, standing behind her , say 5 meters back. Looking at her udder , it could be the start of bagging up. With a maiden mare, her nipples are tucked higher up and they point towards each other, so she has either foaled before or starting to produce an udder.

Generally ( and not all mares play by the rules) its usually around 6 weeks from the start of udder development. At this early stage of development you will notice swelling in her nipples. Perfectly normal for her udder to be going up and down like a yoyo, especially when she is resting.

Ask away any questions you have :)

Back