Pregnant or fat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnRs Lilnickers

Reaction score
I have a mare that was suppose to be bred when we bought her and they thought she was due in April or May, she had been pasture bred and was with the stud until Nov. so I would guess she could still foal yet. Anyways she is huge and has been for some time now, my question is if she were just fat would she look lopsided from day to day? I will try to get a picture of her but right now my camera isn't working.

Does she have a bag? That would be the best way to tell IMO.

Normally if there is a foal in late term there will often be a very one-sided belly. I have one of those gals, too. AND she was obviously bred in the last months with the little guy. I know she can't keep it forever! We're at the belly is a dropping stage, so I anticipate any time within next 30 days (at most).

Yep, my gal came to me fat and preggers.......she's still BOTH.....but, I don't want to diet her now or at this time of year. With a foal nursing and winter, she'll look fine in the Spring. Which is when I will rebreed her.

Hang in there
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
She doesn't really have a bag but does have big nipples, in Aug she even had wax and millk, nothing since. She just really has me confused, when we got her in March we put her in with my stud and he did try to breed her and she took it for awhile but I thought maybe that was just because she was around a new stud, she has never came into heat since she has been here.
wacko.gif

Hi Marty I am always around just don't post much but I am here reading all the time.

Hey, The best solution and for you peace of mind have the vet out and check her... Its very reasonable priced, atleast in my area, and it would save you many hours of waiting and worry if she isnt in foal If she is in foal I cant wait to see pix!

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back