Pregnant Miniature - How close is she to foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amour Lie

Reaction score
My Miniature horse, Zelda, is pregnant and going to pop any day now. She has been going up and down since the 15th. She has been going out during the day and in at night. She has had contractions near her flanks while standing. Her stomach is more sunken down, and bigger in her flanks. And lately the horses have stayed by her stall, like they suspect something. So, just let me know what you think and I will answer any questions! Also, how do you like her? She is nothing speacial, unregistered. She was a rescue, in foal. She is a sweetie, just a bit scared. She is half blind, poor baby. (She isn't downhill, the ground was a bit uneven)

IMG_0885.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to tell from your picture..... To be honest, from the above pic she doesn't look pregnant. Can you show her from a butt view? Are her sides sticking out?

Does she have a milk bag? If so, can you express some liquid from her teats? The liquid should feel sticky.

Another thing to check would be her vagina, and her butt muscles. The vagina should be relaxed and her butt muscles should be soft, ie. "jello butt"

She's a very cute girl and from what I can see has a very pretty head. Kuddos to you for adopting her.

Well I think shes adorable! I am hoping you dont mean that she has been having contractions since the 15th?? I believe I would be putting a call in to the vet if that were the case. I have never had to wait more than an hour after contractions started. But then again maybe someonelse on this forum has? Either way i wish you luck with your pretty girl.
default_yes.gif

Adorable little girl! She looks like a baby herself.... How old is she?

I will get a "butt shot" today after church. That picture is about 2 weeks old, her belly dropped a week ago. She has a milk bag, I can't get fluid out, but she is waxed over, and have been for a few days. And I gave the vet a call last night, she said to keep a good eye on her, and we she drops to call her. And she is only 6. And I am going to start a thread there when I get back!
default_smile.png

wooohoooo another little one to watch...
default_smile.png
... We will have another one in the running..Welcone to Mare/ Foal forum in advance ...lol

My mare is Molly and she is keeping everyone guessing...

I can see a pregnant belly. She just looks so darn young that I think her markings and the way she's built or matured makes her look so small. She certainly doesn't have the belly of an experienced broodmare. More so of a maiden.

Latest posts

Back