Pregnant Mini Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaleenaKay

Reaction score
Hi! One of my broodmares has me stumped. She was bred June 5th 2020 and was due around May 11th 2021. She is 349 days today or is she due June 10th instead? Could see the foal move a little this morning!

I'm so confused but have been watching her!

Here is a few pictures of her udder today and of her (excuse the outside run, its been raining here and haven't been able to clean it)

Attachments

• 20210520_132256.jpg
    20210520_132256.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210520_131543.jpg
    20210520_131543.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 15
Horses have averages, not due dates, so while 342 days is an average (usually for full-size horses, small equines usually average more like 330); but they have a wide range of from 300 days to over a year, so she's still within the accepted range for a healthy, normal foaling time frame.

Hahahaha!! She's due whenever she decides to be, mine is 369 days. Sorry. You were right the first time with May if she was going to go when they seem to average out to, unfortunately they do whatever they want. It looks like she still has work to do on her udder. Going by that if she's read the book and going to have a full udder when she foals she has a while to go. Keep watching her. Good luck on a healthy foal and momma soon.

She still seems to have a wide load, I think the foal still has to align himself... that is going by the book. I agree with Taz, her udder still needs to filling. Is this her first foal or has she had other foals in the past ? If she is a maiden mare, she could wait until last minute before having milk.

I doubt you have too long, but then again, who knows??? my girl's foal didn't align for birth until the night before! That baby would almost literally be hanging off one side or the other for a couple of weeks. Her udder never looked "ready" but still doesn't and she's actively nursing! Keep us posted!

Reactions: Taz
Now it looks like her bag is shrinking 😔

Attachments

• 20210526_151326.jpg
    20210526_151326.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210526_151532.jpg
    20210526_151532.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 3
Now it looks like her bag is shrinking 😔

Does it shrink during the day and gets bigger during the night ? If so, it's s normal. They will stay the same when foaling is very imminent. But otherwise, it shrinks because the mare moves more during the day, and then it fills at night when she is not moving as much.

I have never tested any of my mares pH levels. All of my mares usually foal close to thier "due dates". This mare has other ideas this year lol. She is 350 days today

Well, maybe it's something you could try... :) It works very well. The milk will drop from around 8.0 to 6.0 before foaling, although the dropping from 8.0 to 7.2 might take several days to happen. Once you reach under 6.4, foaling is VERY close, like 24-48 hours approx.

All you need is one drop of milk that you squeeze out directly on the pool pH test strips. Because you just take one drop out, it won't affect the colostrum production at all.

Good start to her udder. I would suspect she still has some time left. That udder should get significantly bigger. Look on the foaling forum and several of the threads have foaling udder pictures (Mine should all have them along with progress pictures). That is what you are going for. Now, they can foal on less, but it is very rare. Obviously not impossible, Pitter Patters story proves that. But it is very uncommon.

Ph is very important for me foaling out mares. I know a lot of people do not like it though.

Latest posts

Back