Pregnant Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I have a maiden mare that is on day 323 of her pregnancy, milking good, testing at 6.4 on the foal time strips and in the foaling range and 40% on mother natures strips, and milking and easy 1ml in a couple seconds when milked. Then today she has thick green/white nasal discharge, not finishing her grain/pellets and half bag with no milk. I was wondering if anybody has dealt with this? can I give her uniprim or derapen this close to foaling? I am trying to get through to the vet. oh and I did feel the foal moving today

Sounds like she has an upper respiratory infection of some sort. Have any of your other horses been sick? Have you had her near any new horses? Have you been around any other horses that may have been sick? Can't give you any advice. I'd just keep trying the vet and see what he/she says when they get there. Hope all is well...

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be any number of ailments, a bad tooth, sinus infection, or upper respiratory infection, or virus. The bad thing is the green nasal discharge, keep tying to contact your vet before administoring meds. Baby should be viable at this point but mare should be checked by vet and given meds, by vet. Not to alarm you, but your vet is the best one to contact in this situation.

vet says excenel, but the mare may not get her milk back and no domperidone at the clinic so he said if needed they can get plasma. I hope it doesnt come to that but I will keep you posted. Hopeing for a healthy foal and a big milk bar for her arrival
default_pray.gif
default_ohnoes.jpg

Can they not order domperidone for you in case you need it? If she's at risk for milk not coming in I'd want my vet to be prepared for that.. hope all goes well and you don't need it, nerve wracking enough waiting on mares to foal without throwing in complications.

Jan

Latest posts

Back