Pregnant mare too fat??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade10

Reaction score
I need some help. My mare is 6 months pregnant and looks to me like she is overweight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her lose some weight, so shes healthier, without affecting the baby?

She is in the pasture all day and gets locked up at night, so all she eats is grass.

(sorry about the photo its not a very good one of her, but it does show her fat neck)

She looks very overweight, from where she's standing. I would not have her on grass all day. I'd have her on grass for a couple of hours in the morning, then some nice soft grass hay at dinner. Then some more grass hay at night. I'd be giving a ration balancer in the am and at dinner, too.

She looks really cute, though ;). Post pics when she has her foal.

Thanks heaps ill try that
default_smile.png
i just didnt want to do too much at once incase it affected her baby

Does she get any exercise? Horses were designed to be in constant motion, even when in foal. Ideally she would be physically fit before she was in foal, but if not... Take her for as many walks and just a tiny bit of jogging as much as you can every day. Exercise is a very important component of weight management along with diet. Diet is easy for us to control and takes far less effort... We humans are a lazy sort!

Exercise will also help her delivery and recovery go a lot easier too.

Andrea

I do lunge her just at a trot though, and she runs with the other minis throughout the day.

However, she wasnt supposed to be pregnant as she was already a bit chunky and i wanted her to lose weight and get fitter. But my stallion got through the fence and took matters into his own hands.

Yes she is on a mineral supplement

I need some help. My mare is 6 months pregnant and looks to me like she is overweight. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make her lose some weight, so shes healthier, without affecting the baby?

She is in the pasture all day and gets locked up at night, so all she eats is grass.
Hey, just reading through this thread and wondered if you could give an update on how she went with the weight loss and what you did to manage it. We're good at the moment since its winter but this summer will be our first with minis and once it starts the grass'll be crazy. We might have to mow it to keep it extra short.

Well she has lost a bit of weight, mostly in the neck. I just go for long walks with her every morning and shes locked up at night so she cant eat grass all night. As its winter here at the moment we dont have heaps of grass anymore anyway which is also good
default_smile.png
Ill upload a few comparison photos.

This is her at 176 days pregnant

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/bbcasey/176days2.jpg

At 219 days

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/bbcasey/2193.jpg

This is her at 272 days (today)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/bbcasey/272days.jpg

As you can see she hasnt lost heaps but its a start and shes quite a lot fitter. (hope you can see the photos)

Latest posts

Back