Pregnant mare question--

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnbum

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to word this simply.
default_rolleyes.gif
Example: In 2007 one of my mares didn't even look pregnant until much later in gestation. She's not yet confirmed in foal now (my stallion says she is
default_wink.png
) but she (due 4/20/2009) already has a belly. One issue is the never ending grass growth--which is playing havoc with my sleeker spring equine
default_wacko.png
but she doesn't usually gain weight in her belly-more her crest. The farrier said it's hormonal thing.
default_unsure.png

So--from pregnancy to pregnancy--if the foals are about the same size--can mares look bigger or smaller for each one--or are yours more consistent? And if different--what accounts for it--fluids?

Thanks.

I've been trying to figure out how to word this simply.
default_rolleyes.gif
Example: In 2007 one of my mares didn't even look pregnant until much later in gestation. She's not yet confirmed in foal now (my stallion says she is
default_wink.png
) but she (due 4/20/2009) already has a belly. One issue is the never ending grass growth--which is playing havoc with my sleeker spring equine
default_wacko.png
but she doesn't usually gain weight in her belly-more her crest. The farrier said it's hormonal thing.
default_unsure.png

So--from pregnancy to pregnancy--if the foals are about the same size--can mares look bigger or smaller for each one--or are yours more consistent? And if different--what accounts for it--fluids?

Thanks.
My mare was bred to my stallion may 30th(due sometime in april).she isn't confirmed in foal either and she is starting to get a belly also!(if she is preggy she would be about 2.5 mnths prego!)

Was your mare a maiden last year? If so that would explain why she didn't show until later. It is just like human pregnancy...1st ones don't show til later and then with your 2nd you usually start showing to the people that know you around 8-10 weeks. The body has gone through it once before and now it knows the path.

Yes, they can look different. I know "Lou" looked different carrying Skipper (second foal) than she did carrying Passion (third foal) and the foals were similar size, but different sexes (factor or not, I don't know).

I think they look different with each pregnancy, and I think they carry differently if it's a colt or filly. I have one or two mares that I can predict the sex of the foal pretty accurately based on the way they carry.

Gender could explain it--neither mare has had a colt for me--and I'd love for Gypsy to have a colt. I hope that's why!!
default_smile.png
I guess I'll have to wait to find out. It just builds the anticipation--if that's possible.

Thank you for your ideas.

Yes they can. For example I foaled out an 18 year old mare this year. I didnt know for sure if she was bred until she started bagging. She foal a moose of a filly, and still looked the same after the fact.

The more foals they have the more they tend to show earlier. I have a mare here due in feb. by looking at her you would like she is due this fall.
default_new_shocked.gif

Latest posts

Back