Pregnant Mare (photos enclosed, need opinions)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from her picture, I'd say bred. Mares can sure fool you though - I have one who looks for all the world like she's going to foal anyday, but is with my stallion as we speak
default_smile.png
. If she's in foal it's only a few days LOL.

Have you taken her by a stallion lately? Might be worth teasing her a few times to see if she has a reaction at all.

Jan
She has been next to a stallion constantly since last November...they share adjoining pastures/pens.
default_yes.gif

Mona: I agree, she looks pregnant from the side view. It could just be the position of the foal that makes the back view look thinner. I think patience is the name of the game here.!! And if she is NOT pregnant, she will come into heat soon now that Spring has FINALLY arrived. And as others have stated, they can foal without an udder, I have one that does it every year. Some mares have not read the "foaling manual". good luck. Wendy

MONA! i am going through the same exact thing!!! Oh it is so nice to find someone who is feeling as loopy as me with our mares!

Sable looks identical to your mare. I am sure I have felt the foal. No PG test. She was bred for 8 days in june last year so should be due end of May. She looks open from the front/back but slightly PG from the side.

Every day I am going through emotional turmoil wondering if she is in foal or not. One day she is, the next she isn't. She is not bagging either. I went through this last year and she was open. I went through heck and back to get her bred last year and now I fear I am experiencing the same thng. I wish we were closer, we could go crazy together!!
default_wacko.png

Here is a pic of Sable from April 3. You can see why I am going nuts too.

april3_08.jpg

Mona,

I agree, I would wait. She does not look pregnant to me, just a winter hay belly. There is no buldge at all to the sides.

Alot of these older mares who have had a few foals kind of look pregnant, but end up not being so. I had one last year that fooled me and the vet and I saw that Ericka had one this year too. I alswo have a couple that I am still second guessing. I guess we will all know for sure when they either foal or come into season.

Just my 2 cents...bred, small foal, carrying all forward and belly now, will foal late. Wise to wait and see, she's lovely.

I have a mare that doesn't look pg from front or back. Hasn't stuck out on the sides at all. But does have a hanging belly. She's in the barn, waxed and ready to go.....

Agree with Charlotte on the domperidone. I wouldn't give it unless I knew when the mare was going to foal for sure. They will bag up quickly and can lose their colostrum.

Latest posts

Back