Pregnant mare behaviour

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapeze

Reaction score
Can it be common/not unusual for a mare to display signs of heat (squatting, squealing, winking) when she is supposedly pregnant?

Mare would be about 8 months along, but a maiden and the stallion was small. Not much of a suspicious belly. From what I've seen of her dam, she didn't bloat out much either during pregnancy.

Mare was seen bred several times back in the summer, full blown heat and afterwards had a brief time (about 3 weeks) of being downright foul to the other horses when she was usually not as crabby (middle of the herd). We figured that was a good sign of hormonal change - pregnant.

She is apparently too small for the vet to internally palpate, and shipping her a fair distance for an ultrasound seemed a bit too much as we were okay with waiting it out. She has on again off again had her moods within the herd to the point she's been separated on individual turnout before finally finding a suitable pasture mate she only occasionally got cranky with.

Now moved her to a different farm with my own full-sized horse. While she is squealy/grouchy to other horses, she has began obsessing with my (1300lb) gelding to the point of squatting, winking, small bouts of urination, etc. all signs of heat (to my knowledge atleast). I was concerned but both my old BO and vet I called said it can happen during pregnancy and if I'm not panicking to just wait it out to see if she bags up or she just didn't catch.

The mare is 4.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Is it unusual? Does it happen? Should I be worried?

I haven't ever had that happen but I've read through a bunch of research when I first got my mare (that was supposed to be bred but came into heat and wasn't actually bred) that it is certainly possible. I hope that she is bred for your sake!

She's far enough along you could try the WeeFoal120 test, they are pretty accurate for determining pregnancy.

While not mini, I did own a mare that even while pregnant would act like she was in heat and court the boys, so it can happen with some mares.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a mare who was in "heat" , showed all the signs of heat even going to a stallion (who was on the other side of the fence), just 1 WEEK before FOALING. We were totally confused by her. She was the only mare who did that.

Good luck with your mare!

I second the WeeFoal 120 test. Otherwise you can go nuts waiting like we did in 2007 when a mare that was ultrasounded in foal must have lost it and then had a false pregnancy, complete with udder, milk changes from clear to white, had her on Mare Stare, etc.. We finally had the vet over to do an external U/S which was the vet was about 95% sure showed no foal. That is why after that I always did a WeeFoal 120 test late in pregnancy to make sure the mare was still in foal. I was told it tests for something in the fetus (rather than mare hormones) so will not show a false positive if the mare slipped her foal like our mare did.

Hormones go a little nuts sometimes! I'm not sure her behavior is indicative one way or another...

I work with cattle, and some of the most 'frisky' ladies are the pregnant ones! Hormones go haywire, and jeez, she's a first time mom! They're extra hormonal!

It's just as possible that she's pregnant and hormonal, or that it's psychological, as it is that she's open. I know on cattle my girls go nuts about when they start bagging - especially the first time mothers! Jeez do they jump something awful. I asked a vet one time why they do that and he simply replied 'even pregnant ladies get "frisky" ' Just about died laughing but it's true. A hormonal lady is just that - hormonal. No matter the reason. Good luck with her!

Thanks guys!

Where could I get the WeeFoal 120 test? I'm in Ontario so I don't know if its something picked up or needs to be ordered. When would be the best time to test her? A little bit further along or does it really matter? I know I'd absolutely go crazy trying to figure out a due date and waiting, waiting, waiting for nothing. As well, I need to switch feeds closer to her due date if she is pregnant so I'd really like to know!

She was with my gelding (supervised) again today and only had a moment of squatting/squirting to which he just gives airplane ears and walks away - poor guy is VERY uncomfortable! ;) After that, no more in heat attitude though she's very talkative and would turn her hip towards him sometimes - it did look like she was just trying to be bossy and got ignored LOL

I am not sure who ships to CA but I think Valley Vet Supply carries the test kit. Or just Google Wee Foal 120 to find a supplier. The 120 means it works at or after 120 days of pregnancy, so you can use that as a guide when to do it. I think it works up until 300 days, but by that time you would likely see some udder changes. It costs about $40 and I think is well worth knowing. Cheaper than a vet visit too.

Thanks! I'll do some searching for sure, it'll be nice to get an answer either way
default_smile.png

And here is a photo of my two together, grooming

10155337_10152368918504711_9050764563388517866_n.jpg

I only have her front end clipped so far, the temperatures dropped and I don't have blankets for her, so the rest of the body clip will have to wait!

Latest posts

Back