Pregnant, fat or normal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think! She was definitely thinner earlier this year, she looked HUGE yesterday, but today soaked in the rain she didn't look quite as wide.

This is from April:

hidee505b.jpg

This is from June:

DCP01741.jpg

And this is today. It just looks lower than "normal" to me.

DCP01772.jpg

Her diet and exercise (or lack of) hasn't really changed all year. She's out 24/7 and gets the same hay and grain. No work at all..just a pasture bum. She used to be pretty spunky too, but has calmed considerably and become quite lazy.

It's quite possible I'm just paranoid, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

In June she looks thin. Her ribs are showing and her hip looks boney. (sp) I assume you do regular worming...

I think she looks better now. It's too hard to tell if she's bred.

You didn't mention if she was exposed to a stallion or how far along she might be.

How old is she, she looks quite young in the April picture but older in the other two.

She looked great in April
yes.gif

Definitely thin and ribby/hippy in June. Too hard to tell in the current picture.

Try to get some current pics with a halter on like in the other two. You'd be amazed at how fat they can look just because they have their head on the ground eating (what they do best).

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple more pics from today:

DCP01783.jpg

DCP01780.jpg

DCP01779.jpg

She's always been hippy, I have a big mare the same way unless she's being worked and gets muscle her hips stick out like she's a starving poster child even if she is fat. She's been on regular worming and pretty much the same feeding schedule and the part that concerns me is that she's only 2. As far as being exposed...I'm not sure honestly. I was gone for a while only at the barn briefly between last October and this Feb. My mother was feeding them (I rent their barn) and just casually mentioned "oh by the way the stallion is in with the other two girls" at which time I very unpolitely explained that was NOT cool since this girl was a year old. I haven't really noticed any heats from her, and I definitely have from my other 2 yr old filly. Like I said, I could be completely paranoid, but between the personality change and the body change and she's considerably larger than most of my other ones, I'm just not sure.

She doesnt look pregnant to me. Definatly looked skinney in June, she looks much better now.

[SIZE=14pt]She does look thin in april but she also does look bred to me now.[/SIZE]

Lyn

She looks like she could be bred. She doesn't look like my two years that are not bred so I would assume bred. The heat cycles are what I go by most. If they have not come in heat this year then they were bred last year.

She looked thin in JUne, still looks better but I think she is still thin thus her belly.

SHe looks like a yearling how old is she?

Latest posts

Back