Pregnancy Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkii

Reaction score
I have a miniature X mare that is possibly overdue we saw her being paddock served November last year. She doesn't seem to be making much progress over the last two weeks or maybe I'm over checking. I'm not sure if she's a maiden mare or not. She is getting squishy round her bum. Please help I'm going crazy

Pics are from 30th Oct and again today. IMG20211030185232.jpgIMG20211030185326.jpgIMG20211030185348.jpgIMG20211104165231.jpgIMG20211104165254.jpgIMG20211104165214.jpg

When in Nov did you see her bred? They can go to and even past their breed dates without a problem even if it's not common. From the pictures it looks like she's getting ready but not there yet if she's going by the book. Do you have a foaling kit and somewhere warm and dry for her to foal. Keep a close eye on her so you will be there if she has any problems and welcome to being crazy waiting for a foal, I think they do it on purpose. She'll get there when she gets there

Sometimes they shrink a lot before the final growth. Do you ph test? Udder is definitely getting serious although not quite there. Pasture breeding is hard cause we do not have exact dates. That said, minis vary so much in dates it’s hard to say they are overdue. I’ve seen them foal anywhere from 297-380+.

Just be thankful you are not in the place so many other people are of wondering if she is even pregnant! The last foal I had, the mare did everything by the book, perfect v, back end totally relaxed, udder full to shinyness. Then stayed like that a month or so. Then randomly had the foal with absolutely no other signs.

I think she looks a little more elongated, love the big lopsided belly! Hang in there, it feels like it will never happen but it will, this is the worst part of the wait.

I agree with Taz. Elongation can come and go though. When you take udder pics, can you try to get the whole thing so we can see better? Hard to tell how much she’s changed in that department from that pic

She’s looking good! That udder should fill more so that there is not much of a crease. However it’s well on its way to being a serious udder! You may notice her udder fluctuating in size. Should be largest in the morning and smaller at night. Not sure when you are taking pictures. Is she a maiden?

Not sure if she's a maiden or not. I think I'm checking way too much I can't see a difference in the last month except for the elongation yesterday.The photos are taken around 4pm when I get home. I'm sure she's in foal I've seen definite movement not as much lately though.

You are likely not checking too much. Kind of at the stage waiting for the big change. Very likely she’s in foal with that much udder development, foal belly, and movement. Late term the foal won’t be moving as much because there is not much room. I check my girls a minimum of 2x a day until they are close. Then it may be a couple hrs between checks. And they are on camera constantly once they start getting in the 300 day range. It’s hard waiting to see big change. But it will come. If you can, you may try taking pics first thing in the morning. That will give you an indication of how big her udder really is. By the time you take those pics she has been active all day and her udder will shrink. When she gets really close, it will stop shrinking during the day. If you can’t that’s fine, just know her udder is likely actually larger than those pics show.

Latest posts

Back