Pregnancy Progress & Genetics Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Well, according to her previous owners, we have new information! Her 2008 foal was a silver black filly with dates unknown, her 2009 foal was a sorrel pinto colt who was 338-346 days gestation and her 2010 foal was a beautiful solid buckskin filly with dates unknown. Now knowing this, what could we say about Sugar's genetics for the red factor and agouti genes? It's obvious she's nZ for the silver gene so that's very good. I'm thinking she's heterozygous for both the red factor and agouti but I'm not sure? BTW she is LWO- as she was tested and she's now bred to an LWO+ black frame & splash blue eyed overo. . .VERY excited to see this foal!!

EDITED TO ADD: Sugar is currently at 295 days gestation

Sugar's new pregnancy information is as follows:

• always had full bag -- we're working on it now
  • dropped about 2 weeks before foaling -- she's VERY dropped right now
  • the last week of pregnancy she got VERY aggressive/grumpy -- yeah, we're being a hussy to deal with too
  • paces the stall before she foals -- not exhibiting this behavior as of yet she likes one section of her stall to stand/sleep in, one to pee and and one to eat in. Never paces as of yet he he
  • all foals have been born at night -- we shall see!
She also has been kicking and biting at her belly every night and often - makes me think the foal is getting to be very uncomfortabe for her? She's also become a "loner" over the past week and a half - I'm thinking she wants to be left alone?

This is very good for me, since I didn't have this information until I talked to her previous owner from 2 ownerships ago. Anyways, below are some updated pictures of her. . .do you guys think she will drop even more? She's miserable right now and you can tell she's not comfortable one bit. She occassionally lays down but never for long. Still have good appetite and is working on the milk bar. Since she "dropped" her baby on February 2nd to start with - do you guys believe she will have the foal before or on the 18th? That's our full moon so maybe she likes a full moon!

JANUARY 23RD

166385_1807919238958_1269258589_32154473_6852866_n.jpg

FEBRUARY 2ND

167279_1826375180345_1269258589_32191374_590785_n.jpg

FEBRUARY 8TH ((please excuse her looking butt high she was standing on a slope))

180178_1837087048135_1269258589_32213570_6678307_n.jpg

181545_1837085368093_1269258589_32213564_4209816_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That has to be the pointiest tummy I have ever seen!
default_new_shocked.gif

Best wishes on your foaling!

I would like to see her from the rear forward and see if she is slab siding. If she is then she is real close and need to be monitored.

Oh yes, she looks skinny from behind. She used to look like a house from behind but now, you can hardly tell she's big anymore.

Wow! If ever anyone had a question about what the "v" shaped belly on a mare should look like when they drop, I think your mare should be the textbook example! No doubt in those pictures! Best wishes on a healthy baby!

Barbara

Oh and yes she's being closely monitored.
hehehee
new_rofl.gif
Tell me about it, Hubby says I will need glasses soon as I am on marestare so much! I am doing the 1.00am - 7.00am shift for you guys. I can't wait to see sugars baby and I have your number on speed dial so keep your boots by your bed
risa8.gif

Hehe I must say that you are a LIFESAVER eagle!
default_smile.png

Yeah guys there's plenty of eyes on sugar and the gang at any given time.

Now if only sugar would bless us with a foal LOL

She was a bit more active last night and I was getting excited but then she laid down and went to sleep
frusty.gif

Back