preggo mare shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue S

Reaction score
I have a preg. mare that is suppose to have baby toward end of month, I did not give her her shots yet, time getting away from me, can I give her her shots now and if so which ones can I give her.

I'm pretty new to this having only had 2 foals so far, but with some pregnant mares now. If she were mine, yes, I would vaccinate NOW (today if possible). I gave my pregnant girls a 5-way last weekend. I would personally not give rabies or WNV until after foaling (but again -- I'm still learning). Others will probably have some good advice!

Give vaccine (5-way) one month before foaling... so the mare can pass the antibodies to the foal. If done too late, the foal won't have the immunities when born. I would do it ASAP.

Andrea

who all does the rhino/flu 30 days before foaling?We gave her mares last year 5-in one, west nile and rhino flu.The west nile and rhino/flu always makes me uneasy for some reason. I just started giving the rhino/flu 30 days before foaling last year per our vet. We also give the 5mos, 7 mos and 9 mos pneabort shots.

good luck

I agree......do your 5-way NOW or ASAP. And then give the other shots after foaling.

PS: Just thought I'd add some info........ One of our vets once told us that it takes a vaccine at least 2 weeks to work through a horse's system. So, to have the unborn foal benefit from the shot, I would suspect it would take a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
who all does the rhino/flu 30 days before foaling?We gave her mares last year 5-in one, west nile and rhino flu.The west nile and rhino/flu always makes me uneasy for some reason. I just started giving the rhino/flu 30 days before foaling last year per our vet. We also give the 5mos, 7 mos and 9 mos pneabort shots.

good luck
Melissa --

A 5-way shot does have flu / rhino in it. A 5-way has Flu, Rhino, Eastern and Western Encephalomyelitis, and Tetanus. So if you give a five way and a Flu/Rhino shot, you've "over done" it with the Flu/Rhino.

Jill

good luck
Melissa --

A 5-way shot does have flu / rhino in it. A 5-way has Flu, Rhino, Eastern and Western Encephalomyelitis, and Tetanus. So if you give a five way and a Flu/Rhino shot, you've "over done" it with the Flu/Rhino.

Jill
Jill,

sorry we give EWT, RHINO FLU, WEST NILE AND STRANGLES.So it is three in one sorry.

Our vet is coming in Spring .. is it going to be okay after my mare foals..

Latest posts

Back