Preggers or Fat????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Chisholm

Reaction score
This is Petunia who we have had since November 2019. She was huge when we got her. She's on a straight Bermuda diet, and she really doesn't eat that much! She's gained about an inch a month. We had our vet do a blood pregnancy test. It came back positive, but the vet said the timing wasn't right on the due date the test gave, and that donkeys are notoriously hard to test accurately.

The rescue we got her from said there was no way she was bred. I haven't felt any movement, but then I didn't on my pregnant mini, Sally, either. Her udder is just two little deflated balloons.

I don't know what to think!

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_163147.jpg
    IMG_20200602_163147.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
  • MVIMG_20200602_163947.jpg
    MVIMG_20200602_163947.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Donkeys go longer than horses so you have time to wait/stress. I'll try to get a picture of my not pregnant fat donkey who eats almost nothing. Two inflated balloons is interesting. Could your vet palpate her so you know? I love donkeys, she's a cutie.

Oh, didn't read that well, sleep deprived is my excuse ;).
You've had her since Nov. How long was she at the rescue? Any studs there of any kind? Sterling might be getting a playmate!!!!!! Haha!!!!

Yes, there are studs at the rescue, but the rescue says they didn't get to her - she doesn't think. :) I don't know how long she was at the rescue. I must be brain-deprived; I meant two DEFLATED little balloons. I'll go back and edit.

I am going to start off by saying I know absolutely NOTHING about donkeys, but if she's not pregnant I would be very shocked! I can't imagine anything else unless donkeys bloat like goats, but I doubt it. She looks like I felt in my last month of pregnancy all three times! Do donkeys have multiples? Just wondering...she is huge. I'm with Taz--you're sweet Sterling may get a cousin! Best wishes and (maybe congratulations are in order!)

Holly, I tried to get you a couple of comparison pictures tonight but it didn't work well. The vet was here today for shots and Alice(my donkey) hasn't forgiven me yet. I'll try again tomorrow. If Petunia is like my two she won't even show in season which makes it even harder for you. Wait and see if she starts to show anything definite? It would be nice for Sterling to have someone to play and grow up with if she is in foal. I got Oliver a playmate when he was 4 months, he had his mom and two donkey aunts but they didn't play with him. Back to the rescue I went for a 3 year old gelding. My one rescue(mom) turned into three :rolleyes:

For some reason, it says my photo of her from behind is too big for the server, but here's one of her udder.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_103830_1.jpg
    IMG_20200604_103830_1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200604_103830_1.jpg
    IMG_20200604_103830_1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Holly,
This is Alice. She's a large standard and had a foal before I got her. Please excuse how she looks, I just treated her for lice(had a boarder move in with it a few years ago and it keeps coming back now and then) and she's in the middle of shedding.
IMG_20200604_173528119_HDR.jpg IMG_20200604_173537969.jpg IMG_20200604_173507704.jpg
She is squishy on her sides but doesn't have a hay belly. I've seen donkeys that have huge pregnant looking bellies but it's always with squishy fat over their sides and quarters. I'm guessing your girl is a pretty good weight when you have your hands on her with a big belly? I think you're having another baby!!!!! :D:D:D
Looks like it's not her first, she'll know what's going on and make your life easier.
Sleep now while you can.

Last edited:
Here's a recent picture of Petunia. All she eats is Bermuda grass and a little bit of Timothy cubes. The vet said she should lose weight on that diet. NOT!!! She still has a little bit of an udder.

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_193837.jpg
    IMG_20200716_193837.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200717_193845.jpg
    IMG_20200717_193845.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3
Do you know how old she is? It doesn't matter, just curious. Will she let you hang out feeling for kicks? Some of that belly could be from being swaybacked but it looks like it's hanging pretty low to me. If she's not eating enough to have a hay belly it has to be a foal, doesn't it? Have you tried to see it you can get any milk? I'm guessing preggers.

Do you know how old she is? It doesn't matter, just curious. Will she let you hang out feeling for kicks? Some of that belly could be from being swaybacked but it looks like it's hanging pretty low to me. If she's not eating enough to have a hay belly it has to be a foal, doesn't it? Have you tried to see it you can get any milk? I'm guessing preggers.

THere isn't enough udder to get any milk. The rescue said she's eighteen; the vet said ten which makes me suspicious that the rescue got mixed up on which donkey she was. There are A LOT of donkeys at this rescue, most of whom were bound for slaughter. We haven't seen her go into heat since we've had her (Nov. 2019). She does have a fat cresty neck. The vet thinks she's just fat. :)

I've never seen either of my donkeys in heat like a mare. I read they will talk more when they are but mine don't change that either. Well, I guess if she doesn't give you anything definite you'll know by Dec 🤣. Sorry, not helpful. 😂. Does she feel fat when you put your hands on her other than her crest and the fat pads high on her sides? That really is a big belly if she's not obese. I have seen bigger on donkeys but they were fat enough you couldn't find a rib, hip etc. no matter what you did.

Latest posts

Back