Preg check

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on your vet for certain procedures. My vet can ultrasound a mare as early as 14 days with accuracy, but then she is also the vet for her the TB breeding farm her husband manages, so she gets LOT of practice!! Some vets are hit or miss with the ultrasound. I suspect it is the same with palpation.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on your vet for certain procedures. My vet can ultrasound a mare as early as 14 days with accuracy, but then she is also the vet for her the TB breeding farm her husband manages, so she gets LOT of practice!! Some vets are hit or miss with the ultrasound. I suspect it is the same with palpation.
WOW 14 days I never knew that

The earliest we've had an ultra sound done was 18 days........and it was done by a vet we didn't really know. So we had another test done later, which verified it!

16 days by internal ultrasound

Looks like this is an average length of time!

Peggy

My own vet doesn't ultrasound minis, but one of my mares that came up from Erica's in AR earlier this summer was ultrasounded 4wks in foal prior to shipping out (and the other was 3mos along!). I was impressed at that early a detection but I think she had another mare less far along also confirmed. Pretty neat imo!!!

My vet can also do internal ultrasounds in the 15 - 18 day time frame, but I prefer to wait and see if the mare cycles again after breeding, usually 18 - 25 days after going out of heat. That way I don't waste my $$$ ultrasounding a mare who is coming back in heat anyway.
default_smile.png

My new mare coming from Wisteria Miniature Horses was ultrasounded 32 days in foal. Not 30 days or 4 weeks, but 32 days. I was really surprised by this accuracy! Can't find a vet that accurate around here. For example:

Last time we had a mare ultrasounded, she should have been in foal for about 3 months and still the vet wasn't sure..
default_wacko.png
How much longer do we have to wait then?
default_new_shocked.gif

A good vet is such a blessing!

My vets did them (if nothing was found each time) at days 12, 14, and 18... then they were recycled. If found pregnant, we checked at day 12, 18, 21, 30, 45, 60, 90, then every 30 days. All this was done by ultrasound.

That way I don't waste my $$$ ultrasounding a mare who is coming back in heat anyway.
default_smile.png
That's why I love my vet--$30 for the initial ultrasound, and $10 for additional ultrasounds on the same mare, for the entire year. That way I know if they are getting in foal and losing it right away, or just not getting in foal in the first place.

My new mare coming from Wisteria Miniature Horses was ultrasounded 32 days in foal. Not 30 days or 4 weeks, but 32 days. I was really surprised by this accuracy! Can't find a vet that accurate around here. For example:Last time we had a mare ultrasounded, she should have been in foal for about 3 months and still the vet wasn't sure..
default_wacko.png
How much longer do we have to wait then?
default_new_shocked.gif

A good vet is such a blessing!
Mo's vet is very good and very accurate from my experience. I'd say you can pretty much count on the 32 day assessment!
default_smile.png

I really wish
default_rolleyes.gif
my vet was so reasable on my horse checks.But it cost me 2 mares to ultersound and flush out for 500.00.
default_no.gif

OUCH! That is highway robbery!

Ultra Sounds for us cost $45 and a 10% discount for more than one. Our previous vet taught us how to Flush and Infuse. We moved and have a new vet who is willing to provide us with everything we need for Flushing..........It's not a big deal if you can find a vet who will teach you.

I really wish
default_rolleyes.gif
my vet was so reasable on my horse checks.But it cost me 2 mares to ultersound and flush out for 500.00.
default_no.gif

OUCH! That is highway robbery!

Ultra Sounds for us cost $45 and a 10% discount for more than one. Our previous vet taught us how to Flush and Infuse. We moved and have a new vet who is willing to provide us with everything we need for Flushing..........It's not a big deal if you can find a vet who will teach you.
Cost 85.00 just for them to come here.Then the cost of the machine.Then the cost by the minute. Also that did not include the Regumate.That was 90.00 for the bottle.I put the 2 mares on it.Bred them on the 15 day when they came back in heat.But now again this week I see them in heat.I think I gave up on them.And really do not want to spend anymore on them.As it looks like they did not catch after the Regumate. Also they did not have anything wrong inside them.

My vets charge 25, but they had a hard time telling on my mare. She was bred in Sept. of 2007. I took her in the 2nd week of Jan. They said she wasn't bred. I took her back in 3rd week of June because she wasn't comming in heat, and they finally confirmed that she was bred and 8-9 months.

Kayla, that is why I always tell people an ultrasound is only as accurate as the person using it. I'm lucky in that my vet can consistently pick up a pregnancy at 14 days, but as your case proves, not everyone has such an experienced vet.

Most of the horses that I breed are very valuable, and keeping a very close watch on the pregnancy was a very good thing. Problems can be noted and prevented, progress monitered, etc. Plus there was always an onsite veterinarian, so there was no vet call. Just a flat $30/ultrasound. If it was my own horse, I'd watch them very closely until 45 days, then maybe every other month after that. I think its very important to know exactly when the mare was impregnated.

Kayla, that is why I always tell people an ultrasound is only as accurate as the person using it. I'm lucky in that my vet can consistently pick up a pregnancy at 14 days, but as your case proves, not everyone has such an experienced vet.
Well the vets were we live aren't use to minis. They normally don't use ultrasound either. I'm not using the vets for foal check anymore, I am just going to buy the wee foals.

Latest posts

Back