Predator Protection?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatCreekFarm

Reaction score
Hi, and SO glad to find these boards! I will be a new mom to two adorable jennets in a month or two. When they are weaned, I bring them home and am so excited... but worried too. I won't have any adult horses or donkeys around for protection, and here in Missouri we have coyotes everywhere. I lost a bottle calf to either a pack of dogs or coyotes a couple of years ago and this has me very paranoid about predators and babies. That was such an awful time to find my baby calf after a predator attack. Does anyone have any advice? Gracie & Ruby will be kept fairly close to our house, in the backyard in a cattle panel pen with a 3-sided shed. We have talked about loading them into the stock trailer every night, and put some bedding down, etc., but I hate to disrupt them every night for that. And also, what if we are away and not home before dark? (Ok, so now you know how much I'm freaking out about this)
default_rolleyes.gif
: My husband thinks I'm nuts for worrying so much, but can't help it. Any advice will be most appreciated!
default_smile.png

~Tammy

Gracie at 4 days old!

Hi Tammy, and WELCOME to the forum from the northwoods of Wisconsin. I bet your excited to bring home your new babies~~ thats always such a exciting time
default_yes.gif
: . I live in a area where we have wolves, coyotes, bears, as predators. At night we know the packs of coyotes are right in our woods, we can hear them like they are right outside our window, and it is scary. I honestly dont think there is anything in the world that is 150% safe and and will protect our precious animals, so all we can try to do is the best we can. It sounds like your on a good start, close to your house and with cattle panels. I also have cattle panels and ranch fencing (little squares) we put ours as close to the ground as possible, wit alot of clips on, my minis are all kept in a pasture right behind our house, and at night they are all kept in the front half which is close to the barn. We also have flood lights around and I leave the radio playing. I have 4 jennys in with my minis, and my hinnys..they will all bray up a storm if anything is out of the ordinary in THERE pasture (even if a cat cuts thru :bgrin ) but even with all that, I still get paranoid. We have had bears run our fenceline and coyotes come close but my donks have always kept everything at bay, with there very loud vocal bray, and even if they dot scare the predator off...at least they let us know something just isnt right
default_yes.gif
: Is there some way you can park your trailer right by there pen and have it act as a barn/run in for them, throughout the day and night..and then just close the door at night?? or, you could always put doors on your 3 sided shed and close it up. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, Corinne! I had considered putting a radio nearby, playing 24/7, or especially at night. And I will - thank you for reminding me! Yes, we can pull the trailer up close too... so that is still an option. I am such a planner. Of course, I want everything to be perfect for them when they come home -- it won't be perfect, but I at least want them happy, healthy and as safe as possible. You do make some excellent points about there being no absolute guarantees against predators. At least we don't have bears here that I know of! Our DNR denies we have cougars in our neck of the woods, but we've heard lots of stories about sightings nonetheless. Anyway, you helped with all your wonderful suggestions, and THANKS so much!! Hopefully after the first year, I won't worry quite so much
default_wacko.png
:

:saludando: Hi there & Welcome

I am sure you are excited too and want everything perfect
default_yes.gif
:

I didn't have a clue when I got my first Donkey and they didn't have a forum like this at the time :no:

I live in Washington State...about 40 miles East of Seattle and we deal with many Wild Critters. Coyotes being #1. We also have the Bears and Cougar ...but the Bears have never been seen in our neighborhood(though they are around) and sadly the Cougar go to my neighbor above me when they are in the neighborhood....he has a convalescent home for Sheep and they are easy targets. The cougar never make it down to our place.

My Stud Jack died last year and he was our protection....he would take on anything. He had NO fear and protected his girls so good. When he died ...Wow...the whole gaurding plan was out the barn door...my girls were lost
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

We were blessed with a Jack offspring of E'ore's
default_yes.gif
: in Feb 07

He is starting to realize that he is the "Jack" lol and that maybe he should start protecting his family. He is only 5 months old...but he is starting to fill his Dad's hooves pretty good...so fun to watch him strut around.

If I were you...I would put a fourth wall on your shed and have like a "Mr. Ed" door on it
default_smile.png

Donkey's will get real use to a routine of going into anything every night...to get a snack of course
default_yes.gif
: ...mine get a little grain...but you can bribe with carrots/apples etc. It does not take long for them to learn a routine with a treat.

How old are they going to be when you get them ?

Another GREAT watch-dog is a "Goose" .... I swear they let you know when there is a falling star
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I use to use a radio ...but one night I went out to the barn when it was on just to check on a noise I had heard?? they didn't hear me coming (because of the radio) and completely "FrEAkeD" out :no: so that always made me wonder if they could be snuck up on??? Maybe I am being paranoid ... I am sure I am...but I prefer them to hear what is going on outside the barn. A radio is great for a Chicken Coop
default_yes.gif
:

Donkey's bray for many reasons...you are about to learn those MANY reasons
default_wink.png
:

*Post pics when you can...I tried the link...and I didn't get pictures? that is OK...I sometimes don't with my Dial-up

Welcome again ~ Teri

...lol... we have cougars too, but the DNR denies that we do. Usually if a predator hears sound (voices..radio) they will be less tempted to come around. Teri, my jennys are like that--they have no fear of anything, and protect all my minis so good..Snickers usually stays behind the jennys and keeps the horses back far enough..he's got his job cut out for him!! Tammy, I forgot to mention--we have night vision security cameras around the pastures .. that helps alot too, ours has sound, and if anything is going on you will hear a commotion, and you can get some really good ones at reasonable prices, mine are all wireless. Teri~~~ SHAME ON YOU, :lol: not knowing our forum existed :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: I've been here for 5 years... :aktion033: :bgrin :eek:
default_unsure.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:
default_wub.png
: Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
Teri, you are so right - a goose is a great watchdog! I actually have a beloved brown chinese goose, recently "widowed"
default_sad.png
(I'm looking for a new gander for her). She raises quite a fuss when anything weird is going on out there. We also have two sweet but alert dogs that I pen up at night -- they will be close to the li'l donkeys. I guess I shouldn't worry so much, but I probably will anyway
default_smile.png
Thanks for your tips too, and I love the "Mr. Ed" door idea... lol... too cute! And practical too! Sounds like your little Jack is learning how to be protector and will give you greater peace of mind soon. Oh, and sorry about the link not working for you. It is not a picture, but a very short video, and believe me I know from experience how dial-up can be
default_rolleyes.gif
: If you don't mind letting it load a bit, it may work? I will post some 'normal' pictures too though as soon as I can. Gracie and Ruby will only be 4 mos old when I get them. Pray for me... lol... but I think we'll really be alright.

Speaking of pictures, I love everyone's donk pictures!! And I have so enjoyed checking in here since I first discovered the forum yesterday. I love the stories, and the warmth here. So nice to feel a kinship, and be around those who genuinely love critters
default_wub.png
:

Oh, and Corinne, those wireless security cams with sound would be awesome. Maybe something for our donk future, and to help me sleep better at night
default_yes.gif
: You have quite the set-up! Sounds great, and thanks for yet another great tip
default_thumbup.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]Tammy, pitch tent out there and pray is doesn't rain...lol No, I'm kidding. :eek: [/SIZE]

I don't have near the problem here in Alabama as my northern friends do with predators but it's still scary when the dogs start barking in the middle of the night. Most of the time it's only a raccoon or opossum but we do have coyotoes come through occassionally.

I think once your donkeys get a little older, they will be excellent watch pets for your other. They are usually fierce guard donkeys for any type of predator. It just may be a little tricky getting them through the early months. It sounds like Teri and Ce have given lots of good ideas here. I like the trailer as a barn idea and/or putting a fourth side on your run in.

Shannon
default_smile.png

PS. I'm a worrier too and my husband also thinks I am overreacting most of the time!!
default_yes.gif
:

LOL...Ce is so right about the "noise"

I was just thinking "Bass-ackwards"
default_rolleyes.gif
:

but I still can't get it out of my head about them (the Girls) not being able to hear .... I guess I need them to hear for whatever reason
default_rolleyes.gif
: LOL!

Tammy your babies are going to be young...our little Zepp is 4months old and he still is a Mama's boy and he is starting to show signs of being the BIG protecter. Your girls instinct will kick in too. What is really neat is they are going to bond with you and your family fast and they won't have any bad habits.. plus they will have each other. I once sold a Jack at 4 months old and he did fine....in fact I don't think Bunny(his Mom) even knew he was missing at the time
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Hey...I use to have "Chinese White" geese
default_yes.gif
: they are the best "Watch Dogs" :aktion033:

Sadly they got wiped out in 5 minutes.... in the middle of the day by a Cougar ...it was horrible :no:

LOL...the UPS guy use to say he feared any Goose over ANY dog.

So when will you be getting them? I am sure the wait will take forever in your mind. Once you hear the morning Brays to get your butt outside and feed them...you'll wonder why you didn't have a Donk before
default_wub.png
:

:saludando: Welcome Tammy, :saludando:

luckily we do not have any wild animals around!!!!!

My Max stays outside with a horse at night, but my first donkey Emily who is 9 months old still goes in the barn at night. Who made a comment about pitching a tent, I'm thinking about doing that this weekend and letting Emily stay out. My fear is that Max will pick on her all night, not animals. My husband isn't even suggesting that she go out, I'm surprised, she is our BABY.

It does give you peace of mind knowing that they are safe!
default_yes.gif
:

Oh Shannon, the really funny thing is... I had thought about pitching our tent out there the first few nights, and who knows? I still might! At least I know I'm not the only worrier around here. Sounds like everyone worries to a certain degree about their "babies".. no matter what age or size
default_smile.png

Teri, my brown Chinese "Greta" literally flew into our yard (or blew in? it was a verrrry windy day), took up with me and even allows me to pack her around. If I turn her out into the yard she will follow me around while she eats dandelions and clover. I just love her to pieces and have had her 6 or 7 years now. I am sorry your white Chinese fell to such an awful demise. Darned cougars! But I do find it interesting to hear about the predators in all the different areas.

Emily's mom, do I understand correctly that you still lock your Emily up in the barn at night? That is sounding better to me all the time
default_smile.png
Being a light sleeper, I have to get this figured out before I bring my babies home or I will never ever sleep again, and I will drive my hubby completely nuts too
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks again everyone for your warm welcomes and wonderful suggestions. I have until mid-September to figure this all out. Two LONG months!! Soooo, in the meantime I hope to hang out here and learn LOTS from you experienced donkey owners :worshippy: I also need to get back to that mini donk book I started in the Spring.

tammy

Latest posts

Back