Prayers & positive thoughts please...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
When I got home from work last night I took one look at "Geena" (Flying A's Maybe My Dreamgirl) and knew something was terribly wrong. She was exhibiting neurologic symptoms, staggering in the rear, stiff legged behind, holding her upper lip up slightly and rigid. She had a fever (over 103) and was dehydrated. When she tried to eat, she seemed to have trouble moving her jaw. She could move and was aware and alert, but looked compromised neurologically. My first thought was, this looks like Tetanus...

Her Dam did have her vaccinations and Geena was given her 1st 4 way shot 7 days ago.

I called my wonderful vet, loaded Geena up and took off on the hour's drive back to the city. Dr. Nancy KNOWS if I call after hours, it's BAD, so she was ready for a challenge...she told me during our last major case that I don't *need* her for "minor" things...like colic, minor or major injuries that don't require suturing or stuff "you can handle yourself as well as I can". I was actually quite flattered that she had so much confidence in my ability to take care of most things. Years ago, she used underestimate the severity of my after hours calls, now she knows if I call after office hours, it is BAD and she reacts accordingly!

Her initial thought was West Nile, but leaned more towards Tetanus by the end of the exam. We decided to treat for both, as you can't ignore the possibility of WNV this time of year and just hope for the best. Since it's the holiday, we could not get any bloodwork back until WEDNESDAY.

We ran fluids, Hyperimmune Serum (for West Nile), Tetanus Toxoid, DMSO and Ace, all IV. I had already given Geena Banamine, an SMZ tab and started her on Prilosec (all of which Dr. Nancy agreed were a reasonable start based on the symptoms I observed initally).

She is the same this morning, but can get up and down on her own, her temp is low normal (which can be worse rather than better) and she is drinking. She still is having trouble chewing, so it not eating well at all. She's still treating her with IV Tetanus Toxoid, the Hyperimmune Serum and the other drugs, along with fluids.

We're guessing she has less than a 50% chance of survival. Nancy knows I will do anything I can to save a horse that CAN be saved, but that there is a point when we stop fighting and end suffering. We have been through some great successes and some tragic losses during the 11 years she has been caring for our horses. We'll just wait and pray....

Please keep Geena in your thoughts for health and strength. She was supposed to go to Nationals next week....poor, sweet baby
no.gif

MVC-029S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope she turns the corner soon and starts to improve.

All good thoughts coming your way!!!!

Oh Laura,

I am SO sorry to hear this!
no.gif
Wish I had some 'magic' thing to help with, but will certainly pray she will recover!

Pam

Oh Laura,

I am SO sorry to hear this!
no.gif
Wish I had some 'magic' thing to help with, but will certainly pray she will recover!

Pam

Oh how scary I hope things turn around quickly for her

Awww, so sorry to hear about the problems with Geena. Sounds like she is receiving the best of care...all we can do not is hope and pray. Good Luck Laura.

Laura,

Did you rule out EMP or EPM not certain of the letter arrangement.

Your filly sounds just like our stallion when he had it.

Oh no! I hope she recovers completely for you. She looks like a sweetheart.

Here's hoping she makes the turn toward improvement. Prayers for you both.

Prayers for your little girl, Laura!

A week ago we were in much the same situation with our weanling filly; she has come around & in time will be back to normal I think. We are still waiting on the test results--takes nearly 2 weeks to get WNV results here--but for her it's a toss up between WNV & WEE. Some symptoms did mimic tetanus.

Best of luck on getting your filly through this.

Marion said:
Laura, Did you rule out EMP or EPM not certain of the letter arrangement.

Your filly sounds just like our stallion when he had it.

460916[/snapback]

Nancy did mention it as a possibility initially, but was leaning more towards Tetanus then WNV. How did you treat your stallion?

I will say some special Prayers for Geena and you. Hope they can find the cause fast and help her.

Vicky

Oh yikes! Sending prayers for Geena's recovery, poor baby!

Latest posts

Back