Prayers Please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Reaction score
We could sure use some prayers. Our son found one of our mares acting really funny this evening when he went to feed. Could hardly walk, running into buckets and bales of hay. We called the vet and took her in. He thinks she has some kind of poisoning. He said she is basically blind and has problems with her brain. Gave her an IV with banamine and a muscle relaxer, penicillin, B complex and gave her charcoal down a tube in her nose. It was not fun. He said hopefully she will show some improvement by morning. She has to start drinking to keep her from dehydrating. Or we have to make some BIG decisions. So prayers for an empty bucket in the morning. At least part of it gone. Thanks from Maggie.

I am so sorry to hear that:( I will pray for a quick diagnosis and recovery.
default_pray.gif
:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep your mare in my thoughts and prayers- hoping for a speedy recovery. And hoping this isn't a case of intentional poisoning...that would be terrible to think someone would do that to one of your babies. :no:

Sounds to me like your vet is really on it and treating her aggresively. I'm so glad you vet used activated charcoal. I have seen it save lives more than once in a posioning case.

I sure hope your girl turns the corner soon for you. Keep the faith.

Prayers to you and your mare.Sounds like your vet and you are right on it....I know charcoal is very good when dealing with poisonous stuff ingested in the horse's system.

Any chance she got into some plants/weeds in a drylot or pasture/fenceline or yard area? Black nightshade is really prevalent this time of year in my area...the berries/fruit are poisonous and cause simalar neurological symptoms you described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Praying for you and your mare!!!! I hope there was a turn around this morning!!!

[SIZE=12pt]Sending prayers your way for you and your mare. Hoping for good news this morning.[/SIZE]

Barbie

Any word this morning? I sure don't want to be a doom sayer but those are the same symptoms displayed by a mare with rabies many years ago. Be careful. I hope she is much improved this morning.

Charlotte

Asking St. Franics to interced for your beloved Mare that she may have a quick & complete recovery and praying for you & your family as well .. Please let us know how things are going.

Carol & John P.

I am also wondering if it's not possible she could have something like rabies, EPM, or West Nile...

I do hope it's something easily treated and that she's on the road to recovery, asap.

I also hope that you can determine what it is, because the not knowing has to be so difficult.

Good luck and keeping you both in my thoughts.

Liz M.

Update on Maggie this morning. :aktion033: :aktion033: I was really afraid to walk in the barn, but as soon as I started rattling the door I heard her "talking" to me and moving around in her stall. She was wanting her groceries. Last night she couldn't even open her mouth but about 1/2". Couldn't eat at all. I turned her out in the barn aisle and she didn't run over anything, so her eyesight is coming back. Didn't take her long till she found a bale of hay in the aisleway and started eating. She had drank a little bit of water overnight and she got two more drinks while I was watching her. She is still walking a little funny, but a whole lot better than last night. I definitely think she is on the road to recovery. Thank you everyone for your prayers. I was really afraid for her life last night. I fully believe if we hadn't gotten her to the vet when we did she wouldn't be here today. She got a lot worse just in the time it took us to get her to the vet (10 miles away). When we got there she couldn't hardly stand up. I have to give her B complex shots for the next 5-6 days and make sure she keeps drinking. Thanks again, it was really scary last night, but it helped knowing we had lots of prayers for Maggie and us
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I am SO GLAD to read this!!!

Thank you for taking the time to update us.
default_smile.png

Hope she continues to stay fine, and that you can determine what made her so ill.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back