Prayers please - Image

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angelridge said:
All the ideas sound great, but I would personally have the vet out to IV some fluids in him if he was still that dehydrated,, the gut needs a loat of fluid in it to work properly and prevent impaction.
466961[/snapback]

Amen. I don't understand why so few veterinarians do aggressive IV fluids on colic cases. OK, i do know--it takes time and supervision. IMO, there is no single other thing that can turn a colic around faster than fluids.

First of all he is doing very good considering. He is by no means 100% yet but he is defiantly comming along. Thankyou for all your suggestions belive me I tried every one of them to keep him going and now he is nurseing pretty well. We bought him pedialyte popsicles I froze half of them. He doesnt like them as a popsicle but he did eat 1/2 cup of grain soaked in 1 popsicles juice after Molly showed him it was good stuff. Wouldnt you know it he did like the color that would stain the most - Red. I havent seen him drink any water but he has nursed some and Ive been letting him graze on and off which is really helpping. His skin reflex shows much more hydration - not 100% but getting there thank God! He wanted nothing to do with watermellon, everyone else wouldnt leave me alone for it. We did buy him some paste that is electrolites/ suppose to put good bacteria back in his stomach so I will give that tonight.

He even got to do a very short photo shoot
wub.gif
Im so happy he is ok I could cry!

I am not sure why the vet didnt do a IV. I belive he said its really hard to do on the farm and we would have to go to MSU for that, he could do it, but not at all easily. So I dont know.

Thankyou again for all your advice and prayers, going to post his pictures now.

Oh, that is wonderful news! I have been worrying about him all day at school! Give him kisses for me!
wub.gif
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back